And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Actually, if you recall the 70s, it seemed like a decade where yahoos storming the field en masse was a regular thing. Mets fans routinely tore up Shea Stadium whenever their team won a title, Chris Chambliss was practically mugged after he hit his famous home run in 1976.

And earlier that year idiots ran onto Soldier Field during a torrential downpour during the College All-Star game and tore down the goalposts, forcing the cancellation of the rest of the game.

This is not to minimize the dopiness of the dopes that ran out on DD night. But it is hardly the first or only time that it happened.
There were actually three forfeits in MLB in the 1970's. Disco Demolition was one, the last game the Senators played in Washington was #2 and Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland was #3.

And I actually was at that College All Star Game that was called off in the 3rd quarter against the Steelers. Never saw rain like that before. The game by the way was called off because of unsafe conditions, fans stormed that field after it was called if I remember right. You can actually find the ABC broadcast of that game on You Tube.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
There were actually three forfeits in MLB in the 1970's. Disco Demolition was one, the last game the Senators played in Washington was #2 and Nickel Beer Night in Cleveland was #3.

And I actually was at that College All Star Game that was called off in the 3rd quarter against the Steelers. Never saw rain like that before. The game by the way was called off because of unsafe conditions, fans stormed that field after it was called if I remember right. You can actually find the ABC broadcast of that game on You Tube.

Fans stormed the field during the 3rd quarter in between downs. The rain had gotten bad, but I have to check the YouTube film again. I can't recall if the players were being pulled off the field.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:29 PM
WSI Guru

I can't believe I've never heard of or seen this, but it is crazy. Look at that rain coming down at the 4:15 mark.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Looks like the idiot kids were running on the field before it was officially called. The ref has halted play due to the rain. The two knuckleheads that ran across the field and slid looked like the same two guys that ran from leftfield and slid into 2B at Comiskey.

This was 1976 before iphones and video games. People had to get their kicks somehow.

Last edited by Brian26; 07-17-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Looks like the idiot kids were running on the field before it was officially called. The ref has halted play due to the rain. The two knuckleheads that ran across the field and slid looked like the same two guys that ran from leftfield and slid into 2B at Comiskey.

This was 1976 before iphones and video games. People had to get their kicks somehow.
That by the way was the last College All Star Game ever played.