Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2017, 11:44 PM
WSI Personality

Default Greg Pryor Recalls Disco Demolition

This post is a bit late, considering Wednesday was the 38th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

Greg Pryor (Sox starting SS for Game 1 vs Tigers) was the guest on the Hall of Very Good Podcast last week discussing his memories of Disco Demolition, Harry and Jimmy and Bo Jackson.

The podcast runs just over 50 minutes and is Safe for Work except for a four letter adverb at 36:40 mark.

The first 25 minutes or so focuses directly on Disco Demolition.
He shares some stories about Harry and Jimmy (including Jimmy's "episode" with Rob Gallas) up to about the 38 minute mark.
The podcast wraps up discussing what it was like to be a teammate of Bo Jackson during Bo's rookie year.
Old 07-15-2017, 01:08 AM
Official Professor

It's not exactly a bright spot. Why do we want to observe the anniversary? I'd just as soon let it fade into the oblivion it deserves.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 07-15-2017, 06:15 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie_fox View Post
it's not exactly a bright spot. Why do we want to observe the anniversary? I'd just as soon let it fade into the oblivion it deserves.
+1
Old 07-15-2017, 07:48 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
It's not exactly a bright spot. Why do we want to observe the anniversary? I'd just as soon let it fade into the oblivion it deserves.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

i third that sentiment.....

BK59
Old 07-15-2017, 12:09 PM
WSI Regular

It may be a dark spot, not unlike the father-son tag team that attacked the Royals' coach, the Black Sox scandal of 1919 or the last minute political maneuvering in Springfield in 1988 to keep the franchise from relocating to St. Petersburg.

However, it is still a part of team history. No need to promote it. But also it shouldn't be discarded and swept under the rug, either. I'd like to consider it a part of the team's rich, colorful and sometimes controversial 118-year history.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungo bat View Post
It may be a dark spot, not unlike the father-son tag team that attacked the Royals' coach, the Black Sox scandal of 1919 or the last minute political maneuvering in Springfield in 1988 to keep the franchise from relocating to St. Petersburg.

However, it is still a part of team history. No need to promote it. But also it shouldn't be discarded and swept under the rug, either. I'd like to consider it a part of the team's rich, colorful and sometimes controversial 118-year history.
Well said!

I feel like J. Robert Oppenheimer having invented the atomic bomb. I mean, look what Ive unleashed on the world.

-- Daniel Okrent, founder of Rotisserie Baseball
Old 07-16-2017, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

When watching the pre-show of the last game of Comiskey Park, Steve Dahl was on the show. He wrote and sang a song about the ol ball park. My father happened to come in the room during that time. His reaction:

"After what he did, they let him back in the park???"

My uncle, who is a true die hard Sox fan, watched the whole thing live. Years ago, he told me he turned to my aunt and said "This isn't going to go well." He told me he was never more embarrassed in being a Chicagoan than that night.

I was only 2 in 1979. I can say I never was a fan of Dahl. I still remember being upset when he took over the afternoon drive on WCKG, and hence, ruining the best station we had...
Old 07-16-2017, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
When watching the pre-show of the last game of Comiskey Park, Steve Dahl was on the show. He wrote and sang a song about the ol ball park. My father happened to come in the room during that time. His reaction:

"After what he did, they let him back in the park???"

My uncle, who is a true die hard Sox fan, watched the whole thing live. Years ago, he told me he turned to my aunt and said "This isn't going to go well." He told me he was never more embarrassed in being a Chicagoan than that night.

I was only 2 in 1979. I can say I never was a fan of Dahl. I still remember being upset when he took over the afternoon drive on WCKG, and hence, ruining the best station we had...
No doubt, after the Black Sox, DD Night was the next biggest disgrace in Sox history. I felt the same way your dad did. We went to a game on the next homestand and the outfield was in worse shape than a neighborhood sandlot ball field.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

I watched it in horror. I was so upset about it I wrote a letter (yes a letter!) to columnist Bill Gleason. He didn't directly quote me but apparently I wasn't the only one to vent with him. He did address the situation in a column subsequent to the event. It just reminded me of Veeck era "showmanship." I know this was supposed to be the brainchild of son Mike, but for me it was an exclamation mark indicative of the Veeck style of ownership. When will the Sox ever get an ownership group with all its oars in the water?
Old 07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
When will the Sox ever get an ownership group with all its oars in the water?
When a good fan wins the lottery and buys them!
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 AM
WSI High Priest

Let me add that even though it was a black eye in the history of the franchise, 99% of the idiots who stormed and destroyed the field were not Baseball or White Sox fans. I'll venture to say that most of that mob had never been to a ballgame and needed directions to get to Comiskey Park.