Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2018, 10:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Default *official* offense basically dead 4-0 Twins

Honestly was a case of the pitcher being incredible, but doesnít take away from how poor our offense has been. Kind of nice that we may be snowed out for the next couple of days. This team needs a mental break. Everyone is hurting.

Giolito pitched well but was left one inning too late. Bummer needs to have anothe role. He continues to be placed in situations where a hold is necessary, and fails.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:16 PM
WSI Guru

Default *Official 4/12/18 Postgame: Nothing From Nothing Means Losing*

Offense is reminding me of the Ventura days when they were scoring three runs or less 45% of the time for the season.

Just flat out awful. The highest batting average in the lineup tonight was .289

13 strike out's tonight by the hitters.

What these guys need are two or three days of snow / postponements to get away from things and clear their heads.

Pitching-wise Giolito continues to walk a ton of guys. Just no command early in the season.

Anderson continues on his merry way of making errors.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-12-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 PM
WSI Regular

I've noticed the "check out his exit velocity" crowd has really been quiet lately.

1/12 with 9 Strikeouts in his last three games.

Small sample size, yes! But if you can't take off the Black and Silver sunglasses and see that he has ZERO confidence right now, you are fooling yourself.

I don't know what the answer is, besides keeping him the hell away from Steverson and/or a day or two off.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:32 PM
WSI Personality

Seems like the Sox still have a talent ID problem. They went for the HR with toolsy guys with huge upside and some flaws, and they look like they're going to miss on 2/3 headliners. This is really bad. It seems that those who didn't trust the FO to pull this off were correct.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Seems like the Sox still have a talent ID problem. They went for the HR with toolsy guys with huge upside and some flaws, and they look like they're going to miss on 2/3 headliners.
Getting baseball players should be the first goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
This is really bad. It seems that those who didn't trust the FO to pull this off were correct.
Too small a sample size.

Lip is eight, this team need a break. The Minny weather might just give them that break.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-12-2018, 10:37 PM
WSI Prelate

#10 needs to be hitting 7,8, or 9 the rest of this month.

There is no way this is who he is or else might as well revoke credentials to every Scout in baseball.

This kid is lost and quite frankly I don't know if the Sox have the coaching to help him.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:49 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
This kid is lost and quite frankly I don't know if the Sox have the coaching to help him.
Have to agree with this.

Have to move him out of the leadoff spot before he's really ruined.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
#10 needs to be hitting 7,8, or 9 the rest of this month.

There is no way this is who he is or else might as well revoke credentials to every Scout in baseball.

Your second sentence is exactly why we canít start getting panicked.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hard to tip your cap to even the really good pitchers anymore after seeing years and years of an incompetent offense. Over and over and over and over again...
Old 04-13-2018, 05:59 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
What these guys need are two or three days of snow / postponements to get away from things and clear their heads.
Two snow days would be likely.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 AM
WSI Prelate

This is a rebuilding team, filled with young players who need major league reps, and veteran filler. We know what to expect with the veteran filler.

Expecting the young players, as talented as they are, to perform like All Stars is unrealistic.

Even Tim Anderson, while this is his third season with the Sox, didnít spend many years in the minors and didnít play a lot of baseball as an amateur. Heís still young, learning, and developing.

Moncada is in his first April in the majors in a decidedly non-tropical climate. Heís proven everything he needs to prove in the minors; he just needs to learn to make adjustments to major league pitchers adjusting to him, and that can only happen in major league games.

It was completely justifiable to criticize Alexei Ramirez, for instance, for his boneheaded plays in his fourth season with the Sox. By then, he was a veteran player who by then should have adapted both to the cold and to major league pitchers.

Weíve been patient with Yolmer Sanchez, perhaps because no one ever had any pretense of All Star expectations for him. And now, heís becoming a decent major league starting infielder. Heís a White Sox organizational developmental success. Letís give Anderson and Moncada, and Giolito for that matter, the same courtesy of patience. If not for them, then four ourselves and our sanity.

Letís all get a grip here, and accept that the 2018 Sox always were destined for 90+ losses.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:08 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Giolito has now looked like a AA pitcher three starts in a row. Bad stuff, bad command, low velo. You have to hope it's just the weather.

Thankfully the other two pieces we got for Eaton are looking fantastic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I watched a couple of his outings from spring training, and he was terrific in those games. He seems to have left his stuff in Arizona.

I don't think the 95-96 mph fastball is every coming back, but in spring training, he was commanding pitches and throwing his breaking ball for strikes. That has not been the case in the early going of regular-season play.

It's been disappointing that Giolito has been mediocre at best in each of his three starts. Mediocre is probably being kind.
He pitched well yesterday.

Bummer ruined the state line. Should have been taken out in the seventh.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
He pitched well yesterday.

Bummer ruined the state line. Should have been taken out in the seventh.
He really didn't. He was all over the place missing his spots, wasn't inducing many whiffs, and his fastball was sitting at 90 most of the game. Like I said, he looked like an unseasoned minor leaguer. I'll grant you that he looked decent in the fifth and sixth, but that was it. He was hot garbage in every other inning last night.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:44 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This is a rebuilding team, filled with young players who need major league reps, and veteran filler. We know what to expect with the veteran filler.

Expecting the young players, as talented as they are, to perform like All Stars is unrealistic.

Even Tim Anderson, while this is his third season with the Sox, didnít spend many years in the minors and didnít play a lot of baseball as an amateur. Heís still young, learning, and developing.

Moncada is in his first April in the majors in a decidedly non-tropical climate. Heís proven everything he needs to prove in the minors; he just needs to learn to make adjustments to major league pitchers adjusting to him, and that can only happen in major league games.

It was completely justifiable to criticize Alexei Ramirez, for instance, for his boneheaded plays in his fourth season with the Sox. By then, he was a veteran player who by then should have adapted both to the cold and to major league pitchers.

Weíve been patient with Yolmer Sanchez, perhaps because no one ever had any pretense of All Star expectations for him. And now, heís becoming a decent major league starting infielder. Heís a White Sox organizational developmental success. Letís give Anderson and Moncada, and Giolito for that matter, the same courtesy of patience. If not for them, then four ourselves and our sanity.

Letís all get a grip here, and accept that the 2018 Sox always were destined for 90+ losses.
Thank you for the sanity check. I think there's also a real difference between being a young player/rookie as part of a team with veterans (2017, White Sox up untll trade deadline) or in August/September (2017, post trade deadline) and now being part of a team of mostly young/rookie players coming out of spring training.

No excuses for any of this- but it may be some time before they get their legs underneath them.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Castillo, Davidson, Delmonico, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 04-13-2018, 08:21 AM
WSI Prelate

I think White Sox fans are, fairly and unfairly, expecting the world of Moncada because of what we gave up to get him. We're not treating him like a normal prospect, and that's not a healthy way to go. I have my moments with him, and I am sure you have seen me panic on the boards. Still, at the end of the day, I really think a smarter approach would be to ease up on him and let him figure it out.

Very rare that a consensus number one overall talent doesn't pan out one way or the other.