And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2017, 06:02 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I sincerely hope that the organization isn’t treating 2019 as some sort of hard deadline to return to competitiveness. A majority of the players we will be depending on for future success likely will still have zero at-bats or innings pitched at the major league level by that time.

Getting valuable experience for some of the early arrivals like Moncada, Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer should be the organization’s primary concern in 2019. On the flip side, 2019 is also a good opportunity to weed out any of those players who can’t hack it at the major league level.
I don't think they will set a hard deadline, but I do think they'll be ready to go back into the free agent market that year. (And Tomas is under contract through 2020.)
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM
WSI High Priest

The deadline for adding players to the 40-man roster to protect them from the Rule 5 draft is 7pm tonight:
http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...s-from-rule-5/
Old 11-20-2017, 04:20 PM
WSI Personality

Chris Beck and Tyler Danish have cleared waivers and have thus been outrighted to Charlotte clearing 2 additional spots on the 40 man roster as reported by MLB Trade Rumors. Story
Old 11-20-2017, 05:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Jimenez, Gillaspie, Basabe, Clarkin and Adolfo were added to the 40 man roster this afternoon.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Jimenez, Gillaspie, Basabe, Clarkin and Adolfo were added to the 40 man roster this afternoon.
So they chose to protect the likes of Beck and Alburquerque over Guerrero, Peter, & Polo?

I just threw up in my mouth a bit. I hope they're not done.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Beck was outrighted to Charlotte but the veterans were kept.

I'm surprised about Guerrero and Polo being unprotected. Less so about Clark and Peter. Clark doesn't seem to be high on their radar and Peter is probably a utility infielder at best. I won't be at all surprised if Guerrero and Polo both get picked. I would have protected them and left Alburqurque and Farquhar unprotected. The rest don't surprise me at all.

Aren't the rules that one of your players gets picked you can protect another one or something like that? Or is that an old rule that has gone by the wayside?
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Beck was outrighted to Charlotte but the veterans were kept.

I'm surprised about Guerrero and Polo being unprotected. Less so about Clark and Peter. Clark doesn't seem to be high on their radar and Peter is probably a utility infielder at best. I won't be at all surprised if Guerrero and Polo both get picked. I would have protected them and left Alburqurque and Farquhar unprotected. The rest don't surprise me at all.

Aren't the rules that one of your players gets picked you can protect another one or something like that? Or is that an old rule that has gone by the wayside?
My bad about Beck. Meant to type Covey. Would much rather try Guerrero than see Covey ever again.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Incredible how they protect so many bad players; leave prospects unprotected and forego the opportunity to nab others' prospect.
Another reason why I have no faith in this front office.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Incredible how they protect so many bad players; leave prospects unprotected and forego the opportunity to nab others' prospect.
Another reason why I have no faith in this front office.
I would rather have hung on to Polo than Engel or May; Peter than Saladino or Hanson; and Guerrero than any of Alburquerque, Covey, Farquhar, Infante, Petricka, or Putnam. (If they think Putnam will be healthy, he's a different story. But the rest of the pitchers they protected are junk.)

I'm OK with protecting Willy Garcia as they don't currently have many outfielders with pop. But Jimenez will bump him off the roster by August.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I would rather have hung on to Polo than Engel or May; Peter than Saladino or Hanson; and Guerrero than any of Alburquerque, Covey, Farquhar, Infante, Petricka, or Putnam. (If they think Putnam will be healthy, he's a different story. But the rest of the pitchers they protected are junk.)

I'm OK with protecting Willy Garcia as they don't currently have many outfielders with pop. But Jimenez will bump him off the roster by August.
I have my preferences too (and I kind of like Willie myself) but they exposed several players with promise to protect some lousy players.
It's the exact same logic out of Hahn that deemed Tatis expendable for Shields. How is exposing a legit prospects in order to protect Al Albequerque defensible.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:29 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
I have my preferences too (and I kind of like Willie myself) but they exposed several players with promise to protect some lousy players.
It's the exact same logic out of Hahn that deemed Tatis expendable for Shields. How is exposing a legit prospects in order to protect Al Albequerque defensible.
I donít think Hahn is an abject idiot. I agree that the Shields trade has worked out to be a terrible move, but it in no way is evidence of the ďsame logicĒ as Rule 5 draft 40-man roster decisions.

Unless my understanding is wrong, they canít protect every prospect on the 40-man roster without some of them ending up on the 25-man roster when the season begins, or later having to be outrighted to the minors, at which point they could opt for free agency.

In other words, they almost have to keep some expendable veteran filler on the 40-man roster, so that they have someone to outright off the roster if they sign a better free agent or make a trade.

I had hoped Guerrero would have a contribution to make to the club eventually, given that heís in their Top 30 and heís left-handed. But heís also been surpassed by many more recent acquisitions.

Polo and Peter arenít even in their Top 30, although given Peterís seeming MLB readiness, I too thought he might be a better utility option than the injured Saladino. Maybe they have determined that Saladino is fully healed?

Finally, as I understand it, any team that claims Guerrero, Polo, or Peter (or anyone else who is eligible but left unprotected), must keep that player on their 25-man roster for the whole season, or offer him back to the Sox for a nominal fee.

None of these unprotected players are prized prospects; if in 3 years we are lamenting their loss itís because something has gone horribly wrong with the depth of superior prospects ahead of them (i.e. we might miss Polo if Jimenez, Robert, Adolfo, Rutherford and Basabe all bomb out).
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Polo's numbers in the minors are fairly pedestrian. There is some promise there but not enough to make me regret losing him should he be picked (which is no guarantee). He is way down on the prospect depth chart for outfielders. I would likely have left May unprotected and protected Polo instead but perhaps they know something more about the players actual prospects watching and talking with them everyday than I do sitting at home reading box scores and occasional, badly filmed minor leagues telecasts. I'm not sure there is all that much difference between them except that I've already seen May fail and I haven't had a chance to see Polo fail yet.

Guerrero's numbers are also fairly average. The thing that surprises me about him is that he is a lefty and lefties are a very valuable commodity. I do expect to see him picked for that reason. I think he is a bullpen arm at the major league level IF he can even pitch at the major league level so I'm not concerned about losing a potential starter but good bullpen lefties are hard to come by so if he has the chance to be that I would have protected him and let an easily replaceable Al Alburquerque or Danny Farquhar go free agent. There will be at least 10 equivalent players available off waiver wires to replace them
Old 11-21-2017, 10:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
It's the exact same logic out of Hahn that deemed Tatis expendable for Shields.
I think that we have reached "DLS" levels now....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 11-21-2017, 11:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I donít think Hahn is an abject idiot. I agree that the Shields trade has worked out to be a terrible move, but it in no way is evidence of the ďsame logicĒ as Rule 5 draft 40-man roster decisions.

Unless my understanding is wrong, they canít protect every prospect on the 40-man roster without some of them ending up on the 25-man roster when the season begins, or later having to be outrighted to the minors, at which point they could opt for free agency.

In other words, they almost have to keep some expendable veteran filler on the 40-man roster, so that they have someone to outright off the roster if they sign a better free agent or make a trade.

I had hoped Guerrero would have a contribution to make to the club eventually, given that heís in their Top 30 and heís left-handed. But heís also been surpassed by many more recent acquisitions.

Polo and Peter arenít even in their Top 30, although given Peterís seeming MLB readiness, I too thought he might be a better utility option than the injured Saladino. Maybe they have determined that Saladino is fully healed?

Finally, as I understand it, any team that claims Guerrero, Polo, or Peter (or anyone else who is eligible but left unprotected), must keep that player on their 25-man roster for the whole season, or offer him back to the Sox for a nominal fee.

None of these unprotected players are prized prospects; if in 3 years we are lamenting their loss itís because something has gone horribly wrong with the depth of superior prospects ahead of them (i.e. we might miss Polo if Jimenez, Robert, Adolfo, Rutherford and Basabe all bomb out).
Why did you have to go and ruin things by making a rational post and explaining the finer points of the Rule 5 draft! It's much more fun to sit here and claim that Hahn is a moron who doesn't know how this draft and the 40-man roster works. If only he read WSI - at least he'd have a freaking clue!

Oh, and everything is about the Shields trade. Tatis Tatis Tatis!!!!!! We may as well call this rebuilt a failure now! Someday, there will be a status of Tatis somewhere. I'm not sure exactly where, perhaps right by Jeremy Reed's statue. I hope they save some space for Tito Polo's statue while they're at it.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I think that we have reached "DLS" levels now....
Ha! I forgot about DLS.