And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 06:18 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ99 View Post
Don't get me started. Two leading players have come out publicly about how they're disappointed that the GM couldn't do anything.

It's obviously affecting the team.

While I was cheering for the other side last night, It's really nice to see Moncada come through like that. Good springboard for the rest of the season.
Not making a serious effort for Sale was their big mistake. Not only do they not have him, they will have to face him. It's a double whack.

Players criticizing management for not acquiring better players can't be good...by inference they are telling teammates that they aren't good enough. That's management's job.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:47 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Don't get me started. Two leading players have come out publicly about how they're disappointed that the GM couldn't do anything.
Reminds me of Roberto Hernandez and Tony Phillips blistering the Sox organization to The Sporting News after Ron Scheuler did nothing in 1996. He'd later get Tony Castillo on waivers in August but that was it.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Not making a serious effort for Sale was their big mistake. Not only do they not have him, they will have to face him. It's a double whack.

Players criticizing management for not acquiring better players can't be good...by inference they are telling teammates that they aren't good enough. That's management's job.
Sale doesn't bother me, they'd have needed to give up Bregman, and he's a big part of the present and future.

What bothered me was seeing what the Yankees gave up for Gray, the Astros had better prospects and wouldn't have had to give in their top guys they're saving for 2019 when they many not be able to afford paying the current core, the reason why Luhnow is being so conservative with prospects.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Have the details of an unsuccessful Astros - Yankees deal been leaked?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Speaking of the Astros... I think their biggest problem is the players complaining publicly not the fact that they didn't do a deal. That shows some serious dissension in the ranks and I would take that as a bad indicator of what is going with that team internally. I understand where the players are coming from. You want to win and you want to know that management is doing everything they can to help you win but you keep those complaints internal unless you feel like there is no one listening.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Speaking of the Astros... I think their biggest problem is the players complaining publicly not the fact that they didn't do a deal. That shows some serious dissension in the ranks and I would take that as a bad indicator of what is going with that team internally. I understand where the players are coming from. You want to win and you want to know that management is doing everything they can to help you win but you keep those complaints internal unless you feel like there is no one listening.
I agree with what you're saying but you have to remember in this culture leaking is cool.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I agree with what you're saying but you have to remember in this culture leaking is cool.
So, the Astros players leaked this info because it's the cool thing to do "in this culture"? Come on.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
So, the Astros players leaked this info because it's the cool thing to do "in this culture"? Come on.
Yes, there are no secrets anymore.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:47 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Have the details of an unsuccessful Astros - Yankees deal been leaked?
You mean Astros-A's, correct?
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yes, there are no secrets anymore.
Good.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-13-2017, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Sale doesn't bother me, they'd have needed to give up Bregman, and he's a big part of the present and future.

What bothered me was seeing what the Yankees gave up for Gray, the Astros had better prospects and wouldn't have had to give in their top guys they're saving for 2019 when they many not be able to afford paying the current core, the reason why Luhnow is being so conservative with prospects.
They're getting away with murder for Altuve's contract now, but that might change in 2019. Not trading Bregman was the right thing to do, but not adding a starting pitcher seems like a mistake now. Personally, I don't think they can win a 7 game series against Boston, New York or Cleveland with their current rotation.
We saw this before with the Nationals, you can't be absolutely sure that you're going to contend in 2018 or 2019, so why not take the shot when you have it?