Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Default If I Became the Owner of the White Sox...

Off day rambling...I would:

Change their uniform socks from black to white
Add "White Sox" underneath Chicago on their road jerseys (like the late 60's/early 70's uniforms)
For alternative uniforms(one/season)- rotate the 1906, 1917, 1959, 1972 and 1983 uniforms vs. going only with 1983 version
Complete statues for the rest of the retired numbers- Ted Lyons, etc.
See if we can get local Chicago restaurant/bars to 'sponsor" different areas of the park and get rid of the generic naming for "The Patio", "Extra Base", "Kraft Kave", etc.
See if we can build an "Old Comiskey Park" upper deck with arches underneath in either LF or RF- bring back "roof shots".
Replace Ed Farmer and DJ for radio broadcasts
Re-establish a White Sox Hall of Fame- in a public/common area...bring back all of the memorabilia that is in the Scout Seats area, and other areas not generally accessible to all fans
Make peace with the McCuddy's gamily- and find a way to incorporate the bar into the ballpark- and bring back all that great memorabilia (huge Babe Ruth bat, photos,etc.) from the old place.
Establish a White Sox/community partnership to invest in baseball fields, equipment, etc. to support youth baseball within a 5 mile (?) radius of the ballpark
Bring back "Sweet Home Chicago" following victories at home
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 06-19-2017, 11:58 AM
WSI High Priest

First of all I'd hire a bunch of people to run baseball operations, none of whom are former players, no matter how scrappy they are. Except Juan Uribe, I'd find a job for him if he was interested. Not an important one, but Juan Uribe would be told that if he ever needed a steady income or just wanted to come onto the field during batting practice to catch some popups for fun, the White Sox organization would be here for him.

Then, yeah, I'd probably focus on marketing and stadium experience/aesthetics.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
First of all I'd hire a bunch of people to run baseball operations, none of whom are former players, no matter how scrappy they are. Except Juan Uribe, I'd find a job for him if he was interested. Not an important one, but Juan Uribe would be told that if he ever needed a steady income or just wanted to come onto the field during batting practice to catch some popups for fun, the White Sox organization would be here for him.

Then, yeah, I'd probably focus on marketing and stadium experience/aesthetics.
I'm pretty happy right now with Hahn, Rentaria and Hostetler....can't really comment on Getz-
Old 06-19-2017, 12:15 PM
WSI Guru

If I became owner I would do one thing and one thing only.

Remove from authority all members of the White Sox front office on the baseball side and hire the best and most highly regarded front office folks in baseball to take over...salary be damned. I'd also let them know that I'd back them in whatever down-the-line moves they wanted to make as in hiring minor league instructors, coaches, scouts...again salary be damned.

It all starts on the baseball side...if you win many of the other issues take care of themselves.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 06-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM
Winner WSI 2015 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Off day rambling...I would:

See if we can get local Chicago restaurant/bars to 'sponsor" different areas of the park and get rid of the generic naming for "The Patio", "Extra Base", "Kraft Kave", etc.
Well, The Patio could sponsor The Patio...
Old 06-19-2017, 12:25 PM
WSI Personality

Default New Digs

I realize that the current stadium lease runs thru 2029 but I would do everything possible to see if a new stadium could be built in the South Loop. The City of Chicago offered to build a stadium for the White Sox in the mid 1980s at Roosevelt and Clark. I'm told that a stadium could still be built there now. Also, it would be a stadium that everybody likes. In other words a stadium that is nice in the lower deck AND upper deck.If the South Loop stadium site couldn't be worked out I would try to have a stadium built by the United Center.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:39 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If I became owner I would so one thing and one thing only.

Remove from authority all members of the White Sox front office on the baseball side and hire the best and most highly regarded front office folks in baseball to take over...salary be damned. I'd also let them know that I'd back them in whatever down-the-line moves they wanted to make as in hiring minor league instructors, coaches, scouts...again salary be damned.

It all starts on the baseball side...if you win many of the other issues take care of themselves.

Yes and no matter how hard it would be for me, I would force myself to keep my nose out of everything baseball related and leave it all up to the hired guns.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I'd make the Cubs an offer they can't refuse to move to Nashville.

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If I became owner I would so one thing and one thing only.

Replacing KW would make sense to me....would you fire Hahn? Or would your hire a replacement for KW- and then let that leader make the decision?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Hahn, KW, Getz...we know the names of these people and things about their attitudes and personalities. But the Sox organization is rotten to the core. There are probably many people working in lower level positions who should be purged and replaced. We don't know their names (I don't, at least) but we can hypothesize their probable existence and incompetence.

Hahn, KW, etc. are not the reason that the Sox continually have bad drafts and are bad at developing talent. I mean they might be part of the reason but there must be people at lower levels who are also making mistakes.

When Lip or I say purge the baseball side, we probably mean all of these. I certainly do.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:49 PM
WSI High Priest

With money as no object:

Fire the whole Front Office.

Buy out the lease at the current Sox Park.

Build a new park in the burbs or very close to the Loop that would be a clone of old Comiskey but without the posts.

Spend tons on a Farm System second to none with the best scouts and instructors.

Bring in all new radio and TV announcers.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Hahn, KW, Getz...we know the names of these people and things about their attitudes and personalities. But the Sox organization is rotten to the core. There are probably many people working in lower level positions who should be purged and replaced. We don't know their names (I don't, at least) but we can hypothesize their probable existence and incompetence.

Hahn, KW, etc. are not the reason that the Sox continually have bad drafts and are bad at developing talent. I mean they might be part of the reason but there must be people at lower levels who are also making mistakes.

When Lip or I say purge the baseball side, we probably mean all of these. I certainly do.

So fire everyone regardless of their competence or how long they have been employed by the Sox (20 years or two weeks)? I'm glad you don't own the company I work for!!

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

I perceive the quality of the draft and player development seems to be improving- last year's draft seemed solid, and this year's draft has received some really positive reviews. Putting Nick Hostetler in charge seems to be making a difference.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
So fire everyone regardless of their competence or how long they have been employed by the Sox (20 years or two weeks)? I'm glad you don't own the company I work for!!
Chez:

I understand your point but in my opinion and I've felt this for a long time a complete total change is needed.

The organization, the franchise has developed a losing mentality. It needs a complete break, a fresh start at all levels on the baseball side from the highest levels down to the scouts and minor league instructors.

Baseball is a results business, fairly or unfairly and the results for the organization speak for themselves since 2006.

Yes unfortunately there will be some individuals in my scenario who will be let go despite what they have been doing but they'll receive a nice severance and frankly if they are good at what they do some other organization will be glad to have them.

Not much different from the real world in my opinion.

I just think a drastic change is needed and again in this mental exercise the folks I hire may want to retain some of them. I'd be OK with that as long as I've hired the best people. I'd have to respect their judgment...that's why I hired them.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 06-19-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I perceive the quality of the draft and player development seems to be improving- last year's draft seemed solid, and this year's draft has received some really positive reviews. Putting Nick Hostetler in charge seems to be making a difference.

Agree. "Draining the swamp" or whatever you want to call it is a nice sound bite, but is rarely successful or even achievable.