And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2017, 12:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Once again, a post-game thread after a win has become a celebration of the trade value of the successful players, rather than a celebration of the win.
Good point. I really enjoy this team. Can't wait to see them in Denver.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-18-2017, 01:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
If the Sox are going to trade the guys posters on this board want traded, some of them are going to have to come up in July.

My opinion is bring them up when they are ready, whether that's next week, next year or two years from now.
Obviously.

But when the prospects come up, they cease being prospects, the farm system isn't as strong and their clock starts on when fans are sick of seeing them and their failed promise.
Old 06-18-2017, 04:25 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The White Sox traded two players in the offseson. Those two players were players that were involved in controversy in the 2016 season.

How does trading them and only them constitute a plan? How does trading them and only them constitute a commitment out of loyalty to wholesale trades at the deadline?

I've been thinking the same thing all along. Once they publicly trashed the entire front office they became dead men walking. Touting a rebuild is a perfect way to pacify the fans' disgust with trading your 2 best players. Of course I am suspect of every move this Clown-Shoes Front Office makes. I guess we'll see for sure very soon. Meantime, I'm enjoying our guys this year.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:30 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
If the Sox are going to trade the guys posters on this board want traded, some of them are going to have to come up in July.

My opinion is bring them up when they are ready, whether that's next week, next year or two years from now.
Quote:
Obviously.

But when the prospects come up, they cease being prospects, the farm system isn't as strong and their clock starts on when fans are sick of seeing them and their failed promise.

How does one see a farm system as strong with prospects preordained as failures?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Once again, a post-game thread after a win has become a celebration of the trade value of the successful players, rather than a celebration of the win.
You're right of course. I've come to realize that after a mostly horrible decade of baseball a large part of the fan base is hanging on to this supposed new strategy as a way to the promised land. I've posted about trading everybody including the hot dog vendor and don't think I added much to my own fan club. You can have a strategy but reality can get in the way and I think the failure to unload Q for Sale and Eaton quality prospects has been the first bump in the road. You want good quality young talent? We may have found some in our own back yard. That and at this point I wonder who is going to fetch the kind of return the Sox need to continue forward with the rebuild or whatever you want to call it.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

I'm not sure that's really true re the best prospects. First, which ones are ready? Moncada really isn't but they could promote him anyway. But then you kick Yolmer, who is improving, off of 2b (not sure why they don't give Moncada some OF work - no OFs in the pipeline and some say he could be a plus defender in the OF).
Maybe Lopez, but they have enough starters.. Shields is off the DL and Rodon is back soon....so they have 2 extra starters. They really need to get Holland moved if that's in the cards.
They could trade Frazier and bring up Delmonico.
They should trade Robertson and could bring up anyone...Burdi would be fine...
Hahn really needs to start moving some guys.
The play of Avi, Davidson, L Garcia, Yolmer and Kahnle must have surprised them. Maybe it makes them think they can accelerate things.
I wish I had more confidence in Hahn to pull this off.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:35 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't profess to know what the front office is doing. I am enjoying the wins lately.

You don't often see a White Sox team successfully pull off a suicide squeeze bunt like they just did. It was fun to watch.

I like the aggressive base running, too.

You have to look for the good stuff, the rest will take care of itself.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Miguel Gonzalez to the 10 day DL.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html
Old 06-18-2017, 10:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. Every thread longer than 20 posts ends in the same conversation. I am full in on the rebuild and excited about the deadline, but I also seriously made an ump's strike three motion on Robertson's K to end the game.

I think I'll take a break. Not much to see here.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-18-2017, 12:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
As you are well aware the Sox are going to have a ton of home games coming up. Say the Sox are playing good exciting ball , fans are coming out to the park, the division stays the way it is and the Sox are maybe 3 games above .500 and tied for 1st place near the end of the trade deadline. Also chicagos NL team is exactly where they are now, about .500 and not in 1st place. Now you have to remember the Sox fans have not had interest that late in the season in quite some time. I think selling off players that are helping the club compete for low level crap shoot prospects would be a publicity nightmare. The only player that may command something good in return would be Robertson but how much more would he command at the deadline than he would in the offseason? I really think the fans and media would understand this and it wouldnt be hanging Williams and Hahn out to dry.
We'll just have to disagree on this. The Sox organization have never cared what the public / media thought, for right or wrong and they aren't going to start now.

Also just FYI, Nick Cafardo is reporting the Cardinals have been inquiring about A. Garcia. If that is true, the Sox need to be listening before he falls back to Earth. Could maybe get another two good prospects out of this.

And as I said before their are a lot of Sox players who can bring back say a single A player which especially in the cases of the guys about to become FA's and not returning is absolutely better than nothing.

Single A guys can develop and make contributions on a good big league team.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
RR says he thinks it will be a "precautionary, short-lived situation". Just like Rodon's, Jones's, Tilson's, Shields's was and so on.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:28 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
RR says he thinks it will be a "precautionary, short-lived situation". Just like Rodon's, Jones's, Tilson's, Shields's was and so on.

All this injury bs annoys the heck out of me. Tell the truth or say you cant say anything.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:38 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
We'll just have to disagree on this. The Sox organization have never cared what the public / media thought, for right or wrong and they aren't going to start now.

Also just FYI, Nick Cafardo is reporting the Cardinals have been inquiring about A. Garcia. If that is true, the Sox need to be listening before he falls back to Earth. Could maybe get another two good prospects out of this.

And as I said before their are a lot of Sox players who can bring back say a single A player which especially in the cases of the guys about to become FA's and not returning is absolutely better than nothing.

Single A guys can develop and make contributions on a good big league team.
If ownership doesnt care what the media and fans think then ownership wouldnt care if williams and hahn were hung out to dry by stopping the rebuild for the season. It wouldnt be the first time Williams has been hung out to dry.

The more I think about this, the best way is to not get into the situation in the first place. Make the moves now, sabotage the club so there is no way the Sox can get compete. The end of June is coming up, moves can be made at this time.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
If ownership doesnt care what the media and fans think then ownership wouldnt care if williams and hahn were hung out to dry by stopping the rebuild for the season. It wouldnt be the first time Williams has been hung out to dry.

The more I think about this, the best way is to not get into the situation in the first place. Make the moves now, sabotage the club so there is no way the Sox can get compete. The end of June is coming up, moves can be made at this time.
Tanking on purpose will almost never lead to something good. How about just start making better decisions about who to keep, and who to unload. If the Sox do better than expected enjoy it. If they can't make any more deals that are promising don't think all is lost. They did sign Robert and the recent draft gives one reason to be at least cautiously optimistic. For the immediate I'm going to try to leave this alone and only comment if a move is imminent or actually made. I'll watch the games and enjoy the wins, especially this last win against Toronto. Real exciting baseball and some gutsy moves by the manager that paid off big time.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:14 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
The White Sox traded two players in the offseson. Those two players were players that were involved in controversy in the 2016 season.

How does trading them and only them constitute a plan? How does trading them and only them constitute a commitment out of loyalty to wholesale trades at the deadline?
From where I'm sitting, until they start moving other pieces. this is a rebuild in name only. Sale & Eaton were moved due to the issues they created last year. I want to believe in RH, willing to see what he does between now and the trade deadline. But, not holding my breath.