Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 08:23 PM
WSI High Priest

With Shields coming back tomorrow (I assume Holmberg is the pitcher Shields will replace in the rotation), my question is this:

If a pitcher is not traded or placed on the DL before Rodon returns, who leaves the rotation to make room for Rodon? Gonzalez? Pelfrey? Nobody (six-man rotation with higher pitch counts, or Rodon works out of the bullpen for the rest of 2017 to save some mileage on his arm)?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Exactly, we made our big haul with the Sale and Eaton trades. No one else on the roster will bring prospects like we picked up in those trades.
Another team's anxious GM is more than welcome to prove me wrong but I don't see anyone on the team now fetching much of a return. Robertson maybe for a closer starved contender but who else?
Old 06-17-2017, 09:05 PM
WSI High Priest

The bats wake up, a few position players look better than we thought, the manager spreads cheer, they win a few games and everyone's mood changes, including me. Don'tcha love baseball fans?

Kahnle does look like the real thing, BTW.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:26 PM
WSI Guru

The bats are heating up with the weather. Where have we seen this before?

Seriously though, it's crazy to think Davidson might have 20 homers by the break.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Another team's anxious GM is more than welcome to prove me wrong but I don't see anyone on the team now fetching much of a return. Robertson maybe for a closer starved contender but who else?
No one should kid themselves, Quintana still has a lot of return but at this point its selling low. With 3 more years left on a cheap contract a team would be crazy to sell low.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Seriously though, it's crazy to think Davidson might have 20 homers by the break.
And think of all the at-bats he missed early in the season so Cody Asche could strike out.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With Shields coming back tomorrow (I assume Holmberg is the pitcher Shields will replace in the rotation), my question is this:

If a pitcher is not traded or placed on the DL before Rodon returns, who leaves the rotation to make room for Rodon? Gonzalez? Pelfrey? Nobody (six-man rotation with higher pitch counts, or Rodon works out of the bullpen for the rest of 2017 to save some mileage on his arm)?
Hard to say since no one has any idea when Rodon returns.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
Robertson, the other two bullpen guys, Q and either Melky or Frazier can net something in return in my opinion.

In some cases it will probably only be a single A prospect but that's OK...since Melky and Frazier are FA's and aren't coming back, anything is better than nothing.

Plus RH may be able to package some of these guys together and net a decent return.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:39 PM
WSI Guru

I wanted to offer one other comment towards Nell and his posting on the Sox changing their mind with the rebuild.

JR is a very loyal guy for right or wrong, he signed off on the rebuild. RH and to a lesser extend Kenny publicly sold it.

He's not going to change course 180 degrees and leave those guys out there hanging in the wind having to explain why the change and lose whatever credibility they have left...and he's certainly not going to go out there and explain away everything to the media and by proxy the fans.

This is the plan and the course the Sox are going to follow for the next few seasons.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Ahh
Old 06-17-2017, 11:03 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I wanted to offer one other comment towards Nell and his posting on the Sox changing their mind with the rebuild.

JR is a very loyal guy for right or wrong, he signed off on the rebuild. RH and to a lesser extend Kenny publicly sold it.

He's not going to change course 180 degrees and leave those guys out there hanging in the wind having to explain why the change and lose whatever credibility they have left...and he's certainly not going to go out there and explain away everything to the media and by proxy the fans.

This is the plan and the course the Sox are going to follow for the next few seasons.
As you are well aware the Sox are going to have a ton of home games coming up. Say the Sox are playing good exciting ball , fans are coming out to the park, the division stays the way it is and the Sox are maybe 3 games above .500 and tied for 1st place near the end of the trade deadline. Also chicagos NL team is exactly where they are now, about .500 and not in 1st place. Now you have to remember the Sox fans have not had interest that late in the season in quite some time. I think selling off players that are helping the club compete for low level crap shoot prospects would be a publicity nightmare. The only player that may command something good in return would be Robertson but how much more would he command at the deadline than he would in the offseason? I really think the fans and media would understand this and it wouldnt be hanging Williams and Hahn out to dry.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

The White Sox traded two players in the offseson. Those two players were players that were involved in controversy in the 2016 season.

How does trading them and only them constitute a plan? How does trading them and only them constitute a commitment out of loyalty to wholesale trades at the deadline?
Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Robertson, the other two bullpen guys, Q and either Melky or Frazier can net something in return in my opinion.

In some cases it will probably only be a single A prospect but that's OK...since Melky and Frazier are FA's and aren't coming back, anything is better than nothing.

Plus RH may be able to package some of these guys together and net a decent return.
At this point, I'm just going to assume hold onto Q unless he absolutely goes on a tear and corrects his market value. I've said it all along, but he's the one vet I have zero problem going through this entire rebuild with.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:35 AM
Official Professor

Once again, a post-game thread after a win has become a celebration of the trade value of the successful players, rather than a celebration of the win.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-18-2017, 01:42 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I disagree to this extent...don't rush the kids. ANY of them regardless of reason.

Keep them all down in the minors the entire season
, maybe bring some of them up September 1 but not before in my opinion.

Let them keep learning their trade, keep working.
If the Sox are going to trade the guys posters on this board want traded, some of them are going to have to come up in July.

My opinion is bring them up when they are ready, whether that's next week, next year or two years from now.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/