Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Unless we are in the lead, or less than 3 games back by the trade deadline, sell sell sell. However, if we are still in it, we can still work a way to sell but possibly win. Specifically, if we trade a guy like Robertson and Quintana. We can slot in a Lopez and Burdi, and just see if youth can push us across the board.

If they don't, so be it. We won't win a championship with this team, and I am okay waiting to ensure we win one down the road. We have to play this season with foresight, not greed.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:39 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I assume Putnam and Jones will come back in the near future which will be key because Robertson will be the only Sox that will command much at the trade deadline.
Last I heard both Putnam and Jones were shut down from throwing because of set backs. I honestly will be surprised if you see Jones before September. Putnam? Who knows (and in his case it really doesn't matter.)

Regarding the bullpen, the Sox should be able to get something back for Kahnle and Swarzak.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:41 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
We can slot in a Lopez and Burdi, and just see if youth can push us across the board.
I disagree to this extent...don't rush the kids. ANY of them regardless of reason.

Keep them all down in the minors the entire season, maybe bring some of them up September 1 but not before in my opinion.

Let them keep learning their trade, keep working.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:44 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Regarding the bullpen, the Sox should be able to get something back for Kahnle and Swarzak.
Both FAs after this year, no kids either of them and having a good couple of months in their career. Something? Yes but not much.

Swarzak is a FA not Kahnle, who just becomes arbitration eligible

Last edited by Noneck; 06-17-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 06-17-2017, 04:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Correct as well they should be. There's an old saying, 'fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice (or in the case of the Sox several times in the last 10 years) shame on me.
If that applied to baseball, Jon Garland wouldn't have been pitching for the White Sox in 2005 and Avisail Garcia might have been the best free-agent find of this past offseason.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Rick Hahn has addressed this scenario multiple times this season and has stated each time that if this scenario arises, it will not sidetrack the rebuild. And I believe him. The Sox are and will be sellers for the rest of the season. I'm happy that guys who were question marks in April like Avi, Davidson, Kahnle, Sanchez and Leury have now shown that they are legit major league players.
JR still signs the checks and I would bet has the final say-so, in the unlikely event that the Sox are in first place at the deadline then JR will put the rebuild on hold until the end of the season, he has a good memory and remembers the White Flag trades.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:06 PM
WSI High Priest

We'll see what the standings look like in July, but Frazier and Robertson looked pretty good today. Much like 2012, the infield defense looks a lot better and they are hitting the ball out. Technically, they did have a better record at this time last year, but that was when the wheels fell off.
On a side note, that is bizarre how everybody is hovering around .500. The White Sox somehow have the 2nd worst record in the American League, despite being only 5 games under .500. Really wished that stretch against Boston, Houston and KC came earlier so we can figure out where we stand.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:15 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
JR still signs the checks and I would bet has the final say-so, in the unlikely event that the Sox are in first place at the deadline then JR will put the rebuild on hold until the end of the season, he has a good memory and remembers the White Flag trades.

And I wouldnt blame him if Quintana is not going to get what the Sox think he is worth. Robertson is the only player that can get decent worth and will still have worth at years end. The other players would get crap shoot return and even though its possible they could get lucky on the return, it would make more sense for a owner to try to compete till season end.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
And I wouldnt blame him if Quintana is not going to get what the Sox think he is worth. Robertson is the only player that can get decent worth and will still have worth at years end. The other players would get crap shoot return and even though its possible they could get lucky on the return, it would make more sense for a owner to try to compete till season end.
Exactly, we made our big haul with the Sale and Eaton trades. No one else on the roster will bring prospects like we picked up in those trades.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Last I heard both Putnam and Jones were shut down from throwing because of set backs. I honestly will be surprised if you see Jones before September. Putnam? Who knows (and in his case it really doesn't matter.)

Kahnle is per-arbitration and seems to be developing into a pretty good reliever. If the White Sox were to trade Robertson, Kahnle would likely become your closer, although he has never established himself as a closer.

Two points:

You're not going to get much for non-closing relievers at the trade deadline. Teams aren't going to give up much for 20,maybe 30 innings of non-closing relief You aren't going to get as much at the deadline as you would during the offseason for a starting pitcher or a bat either. Closers might be the exception, although during the offseason, the Cubs only gave up Jorge Soler for Wade Davis. Soler has been since 2014, has never been able to make consistent contact in the majors and currently has an on-base and slugging percentages under .300.

Kahnle is pre=arbitration and has been developing into pretty good reliever with the White Sox.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:57 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Correct as well they should be. There's an old saying, 'fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice (or in the case of the Sox several times in the last 10 years) shame on me.
There is another old saying. "The White Sox are coming, Tra La, Tra La."
Old 06-17-2017, 06:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I like this one the best....SOX WIN! SOX WIN! SOX WIN!!!!
Old 06-17-2017, 06:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtGrnwdSoxFan View Post
That would be hysterical from a schadenfreude standpoint, but it wouldn't jive well with the rebuilding, and also, there would be no way the Sox would be able to handle a team like the Red Sox or Astros in the playoffs. Just not enough talent.

Both divisions are harkening back to the "Comedy Central" days this year.
The Red Sox? Chris Sale has been trying to strike out the world this season, son we know that by playoff time he will be getting hammered and yanked after 5 innings. I cannot wait for this.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Will be willing to wager you a decent amount on your comment if you wish assuming the Sox are in first place.

By all accounts JR is on-board with the rebuild, and gave KW and RH to OK to do so.

As far as the White Flag, JR has never courted public opinion nor made decisions based on what the fans, media or agents want. The major backlash both nationally and locally over the White Flag Trade didn't bother him then and selling off guys this time should that situation come up, even with the Sox in first place, won't bother him at all.

The Sox are in rebuild mode, when the off season began, today and for the next two years.

I suggest we put all other thoughts out of our minds because anything different simply is not going to happen.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:54 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Coming where? That hasn't worked very well the last 10 years has it?

They are rebuilding, I suggest everyone embrace that notion because that is the reality of things like it or not for better or worse.

Only time will tell how it all plays out.