Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2017, 03:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 6/17/17 Sox Make the Jays Blue Postgamer

5-1 in the last 6. Another homer by Davidson along with Abreu and Frazier.
Pelfrey continues to pitch well.
Don't stop now boys!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Don't stop now boys!
If the Sox could bring back Billy Pierce, Early Wynn, Jack McDowell, Nellie Fox, Louie Aparicio, Bill Melton and Frank Thomas we could run away with it! You can dream!
Old 06-17-2017, 03:17 PM
WSI Personality

Default The Impossible Dream

I can't help but wonder. If Shields AND Rodon come back and pitch well,is it impossible to think the 2017 White Sox might win this division? This division doesn't seem to have a dominant team in it. This team seems to have the hitting to compete. If both Shields and Rodon pitch like they've done in the past this team might achieve the impossible dream and make the 2017 Playoffs. Wouldn't it be something if the White Sox were the only Chicago team to make the 2017 Playoffs?
Old 06-17-2017, 03:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I can't help but wonder. If Shields AND Rodon come back and pitch well,is it impossible to think the 2017 White Sox might win this division? This division doesn't seem to have a dominant team in it. This team seems to have the hitting to compete. If both Shields and Rodon pitch like they've done in the past this team might achieve the impossible dream and make the 2017 Playoffs. Wouldn't it be something if the White Sox were the only Chicago team to make the 2017 Playoffs?
That would be hysterical from a schadenfreude standpoint, but it wouldn't jive well with the rebuilding, and also, there would be no way the Sox would be able to handle a team like the Red Sox or Astros in the playoffs. Just not enough talent.

Both divisions are harkening back to the "Comedy Central" days this year.

Last Game: N/A
Next Game: Hopefully around the beginning of May
Nacho Helmet Count: 0

- 2011 WSI H2H2 Keeper League Runner-up (Relatively Decent)
Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Not impossible but not likely. Rodon and Shields are two large ifs and there are other ifs. But you're right about the division. It can be had with less than 90 wins. Then if the Sox sell at the deadline, it is another season without going to the playoffs.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Anything is possible but the odds are very, very small in my opinion. Let's just hope some of the young players really are getting better and can help in the long term future for the franchise. Remember the trade deadline will be here in about five weeks...the Sox are going to sell off pieces, that's when things will probably go south very, very quickly and that's good. Trading pieces for potential good future pieces and a high draft pick next year are part of the plan.

I really hope Davidson can make a good contribution say three years from now when the Sox are good and that he doesn't turn into the second coming of Josh Fields or Greg Norton at third base to cite an example.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:34 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Don't stop now boys!
You left out the part about how the last six were against Baltimore and in Toronto. The Sox had a 5-1 lead in that one loss. If the pitching weren't so thin, that one loss in the last six isn't the only game the only loss this season the Sox could have won.

Still, with this starting rotation, and this buillpen, I wouldn't have expected this team to take successive series from the Orioles and Blue Jays, the birds of the East that can wear out pitching staffs.

Three home runs, but the video highlight I want to see is the suicide squeeze. The home runs were enough to win, but the real difference in the game was the Sox scoring runners from third by putting the ball in play on the Blue Jays' infield. The cushion was important and made it a rather easy save for Robertson.

As so often happens, the team with the most successful sacrifice bunts by non-pitchers won the game. I thought the bullpen was going to give it up in the seventh, but it got by. Renteria obviously doesn't want Pelfrey to face hitters for a third time in a game. When he took Pelfrey out against the Red Sox with the lead, it cost him the game, so he tried to get a little more out of him today until the tying run came up.

I was thinking when Garcia (the only one in today's lineup) got the intentional walk to take the bat out of this hands that his OPS would get a tiny bump, if you care about such things. Then I thought that the new intentional walk, where a hitter doesn't have to take ball four, screams to have intentional walks excluded from hitters' offensive totals, perhaps set aside in a separate category.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:45 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

I like dreaming also. You get Shields back soon so the Sox can see what he is now. Rodon? Who knows when but he is not part of the deadline tradees. I assume Putnam and Jones will come back in the near future which will be key because Robertson will be the only Sox that will command much at the trade deadline. Frazier and Melky wont get much at all and in my eyes wont be worth trading if the Sox are in the hunt. If the Sox can hold their head above water verses division opponents and the wahoos dont get it together, it could be very interesting.

Only the Sox know what is being offered for Quintana and if its not what they want in return, maybe its time to tell him he is not on the block now. I think him being on the block has been weighing on him since the rebuild started. I think we would see the old Quintana if this occurred.

Last edited by Noneck; 06-17-2017 at 03:55 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 06-17-2017, 03:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Pelfrey pitched well and Kahnle pretty much saved the day in the 7th. Loved the squeeze by Sanchez. Sox go 0 for 6 with RISP and still manage to score five runs.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
268-229
Old 06-17-2017, 04:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Anything is possible but the odds are very, very small in my opinion. Let's just hope some of the young players really are getting better and can help in the long term future for the franchise. Remember the trade deadline will be here in about five weeks...the Sox are going to sell off pieces, that's when things will probably go south very, very quickly and that's good. Trading pieces for potential good future pieces and a high draft pick next year are part of the plan.

I really hope Davidson can make a good contribution say three years from now when the Sox are good and that he doesn't turn into the second coming of Josh Fields or Greg Norton at third base to cite an example.
This is all speculation but we haven't had much to get excited since 2008.
The team is playing good ball right now so if the good play continues and we are in first place or in contention at the deadline, how do you trade off pieces in the hopes of the rebuild being a success?
We don't know the future so as someone once said "the future is now".
Another thing in the Sox favor is that the schedule is going to favor the Sox big time after this road trip. The team has hung in there dispite the lousy cards we we were dealt with so many road games in the first half.
If we are in contention at the deadline someone in the FO is going to have to make some very hard decisions and a pretty large segment of the fan base will not be happy campers if they throw away the season.
Baseball is a funny game and probably more strange things happen in the game than the other major sports, right now the division is up for grabs and any team can win it including our guys.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Since there's no PTC winner announced yet, I'm going to nominate Sanchez and Anderson for pulling off that squeeze play in the ninth. Man, I love when that works!

Here's today's Totally Biased Game Recap, enjoying today and the outlook for the future.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I like dreaming also. ...
The excitement over prospects who aren't major-league ready to the point where you look forward to trading players you know can help you win and ignoring development at the major-league level after you've given up on them is dreaming also.

I'm sorry if that attacks some people's worldview, but it's a Saturday afternoon in mid-June, the Sox have a shaky starting rotation, a thin bullpen, no big acquisitions over last year to build a stronger offense and they are only 2.5 games worse off than the Cubs who many insist completed the greatest rebuild of all-time to become one of the great dynasties of our generation.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
This is all speculation but we haven't had much to get excited since 2008.
The team is playing good ball right now so if the good play continues and we are in first place or in contention at the deadline, how do you trade off pieces in the hopes of the rebuild being a success?
We don't know the future so as someone once said "the future is now".
Another thing in the Sox favor is that the schedule is going to favor the Sox big time after this road trip. The team has hung in there dispite the lousy cards we we were dealt with so many road games in the first half.
If we are in contention at the deadline someone in the FO is going to have to make some very hard decisions and a pretty large segment of the fan base will not be happy campers if they throw away the season.
Baseball is a funny game and probably more strange things happen in the game than the other major sports, right now the division is up for grabs and any team can win it including our guys.
Rick Hahn has addressed this scenario multiple times this season and has stated each time that if this scenario arises, it will not sidetrack the rebuild. And I believe him. The Sox are and will be sellers for the rest of the season. I'm happy that guys who were question marks in April like Avi, Davidson, Kahnle, Sanchez and Leury have now shown that they are legit major league players.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:30 PM
WSI High Priest

My $0.02-

Cabrera now hitting .325 with 24 RBIs over the past 30 days- and showing off his arm last night- might have some value for a contender at the deadline.

I like Hanson in CF (maybe LF after trading Melky?)- it's going to be an adventure for him with almost no experience- but could be a great find if he can pull it off- love his speed.

Nice to see Frazier with another dinger- he's the kind of veteran that can be a nice add for a contender for the final 2 months and the post season.

Abreu hitting .330 over the past 30 days- seems to be really settling in for what might be his best season since his rookie year.

Over the past 30 days- Narvaez hitting .289 and Smith hitting .298- getting some nice production from our catchers for the first time in a while.

Davidson hitting .292 with a .931 OPS over the past 30 days. He's 11th in the AL in homers.

Pelfry now 2-1, 2.08 ERA over the past 30 days- becoming a pretty consistent back of the rotation guy.

This team seems to have some really good chemistry, great energy in the dugout and on the field.

I wouldn't change the rebuild based strategy for 2017- but the way the team is coming together, with Shields and Rodon on the horizon, alot of home games coming up after a road heavy first 2.5 months of the season, along with the Twins and Indians only playing slightly above .500 ball- the Sox could be one of the surprises of the summer.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 06-17-2017, 04:34 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Rick Hahn has addressed this scenario multiple times this season and has stated each time that if this scenario arises, it will not sidetrack the rebuild. And I believe him. The Sox are and will be sellers for the rest of the season. I'm happy that guys like Avi, Davidson, Kahnle, Sanchez and Leury have shown that they are legit major league players.
Correct as well they should be. There's an old saying, 'fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice (or in the case of the Sox several times in the last 10 years) shame on me.