Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Default *Official* 6/10/17 A Win Is a Win! Postgamer

Sox win one on Lake Erie, with a six out save, no less
Old 06-10-2017, 10:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

A win always feels good. After a 3-game losing streak, a win feels so strange that there's no Pick To Click winner announced yet. No matter. The Totally Biased Game Recap is available to relive the evening.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 PM
WSI Prelate

I can't remember the last time I've seen a major league team win such a close game with so many runners thrown out on the bases. I thought when Cabrera was forced out at home, that would be meet his quota for being out at home for the night, but then he was thrown out on Abreu's two-out double. Avisail Garcia being thrown out at third on a single, Abreu oversliding second base on what should have been a double, Frazier thrown out attempting to steal third would have been enough, but then they lost a runner from third with one out on a botched squeeze.

On a night with Holmberg starting, that could have been fatal. It figured to be a bullpen night for the Sox. But the Indians were into their bullpen before the Sox were into theirs. I didn't think he would have enough to get through the order a third time, and Renteria didn't chance that, even if it meant four innings out of the bullpen. The way things were going, I was worried the Sox could lose while doubling their opponents' hit total.

The old school two-inning save seemed to be Renteria's best path to a win. He wanted Robertson to face the top of the order in the eighth, which meant he was needed to face the heart of the order in the ninth.

If the Sox bullpen weren't so thin, if the Sox had ninth-inning leads more often, Robertson may have only pitched the ninth. But Renteria hasn't hesitated this season in bringing in Robertson in situations where Robertson would have to come out forr a second-inning for the Sox to win. He's lost a couple of those games. Even though Robertson has lost a couple of those games, Renteria brought in Robertson for two-innings today, even though the move didn't appear to grow out of desperation.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:21 PM
WSI Guru

Only bad thing tonight was yet again the starting pitcher couldn't go deep into a game. But hey at least they didn't use Petricka right?
Old 06-10-2017, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

You had Holmberg going, so anything close to 70 pitches was going to be acceptable. I believe I heard/read his career high is 74. He did fine tonight all things considered. This is a far cry from Arnie Munoz and Felix Diaz struggling to get out of the first inning against the Expos.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:48 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
You had Holmberg going, so anything close to 70 pitches was going to be acceptable. I believe I heard/read his career high is 74. He did fine tonight all things considered. This is a far cry from Arnie Munoz and Felix Diaz struggling to get out of the first inning against the Expos.

As a starting pitcher for the Reds, he threw more than 100 ptiches in a few games in 2014 and 2015. His career high 110. And he pitched a complete game for Charlotte last year, but I don't know if that was a seven-inning game, an eight-inning road loss or a nine-inning game. I don't think He's never pitched seven in a major league start.

That being said, Holmberg only started one game in Charlotte this year as starting isn't what he was being developed to do if the Sox needed to call him up. I don't think ptich count is so critical as is his stuff. I don't think that Renteria trusts that he has the stuff to get hitters out three times and took him out the third time through the order.

Renteria took out Pelfrey against the Red Sox during the last home stand after five shutout innings, and I don't believe that was because of pitch count but Pelfrey's record when facing hitters a third time. It's possible I missed something, though, because I was watching the NESN broadcast without sound in a Reno sports book.

It figured to be a bullpen game for the Sox. he fact that Holmberg got through five innings and only faced one Indian three times actually is impressive.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 AM
WSI Guru

Chalk this one up as one of the 60 you're supposed to win because most other teams would lose the way they ran themselves out tonight. Whatever. A win is still a win.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:53 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I was at this game in Montreal! Great reference. Long night.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:18 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Chalk this one up as one of the 60 you're supposed to win because most other teams would lose the way they ran themselves out tonight. Whatever. A win is still a win.
True but on the other hand they should have won in a laugher the way they hit the ball.

Agree with Brian on Holmberg. He did his job as he's done all season. Might be useful in relief in the long run.
The examples of late bloomers are popping up everywhere.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:35 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Good point, I don't remember the last time a team ran themselves into six outs in a game and still won. That's a pretty bizarre stat.

They also made two errors and regardless of the rebuild you start to wonder if fundamentals are becoming an issue again like so many seasons with Ventura. RR supposedly was the type of manager that works well with a young and or rebuilding type situation so I can't explain this.

Also looked it up and the last Sox starter to go at least 6 IP, was Miguel Gonzalez on June 3. The last to go at least 7 was also Gonzalez who went 7.2 on May 28.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:52 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

It baffles me that a banjo hitting utility guy with speed isnt a proficient bunter. You would figure someone like L. Garcia would work on all fundamentals in order to maybe have some sort of baseball career.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
This looked more like a game they easily could have lost because they wasted so many opportunities and gave away so many outs. Without two strong innings from Robertson at the end, it really could have gone either way.