White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 06-05-2017, 01:54 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
One of the most disappointing things to me is actually the lack of activity on this site. I've never been a heavy poster here, but always enjoyed lurking and reading other people's comments, especially because I live out of state and don't get to watch many games. I still lurk around here just as often as previous years, but it's a shame there are no longer daily game and post-game threads. That was kind of a shock to me, as there have always been game threads, even towards the end of the year after the team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Not that I'm helping the situation much because I don't post all that often, but again I have never posted all that often here (primarily, again, because I don't get to watch many games). I guess I just expected more from this community of hard core Sox fans. I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you guys, just being honest.
Yeah, I will admit that the lack of traffic and the franchise's ineptitude has had me thinking about bailing, too. The fact that a site that has been bustling through thick and thin with the Sox has so much less talk lately is a crushing indictment of the Sox organization. Even the die hards aren't invested. It's sad.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #62  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,172
Default

Speaking of game threads, what happened to poster #1swisher? He/she owned those threads -- every inning, every game.
__________________
2017 Attendance Tracker: 7-7

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
  #63  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:15 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Speaking of game threads, what happened to poster #1swisher? He/she owned those threads -- every inning, every game.
He realized there were live game rundowns all over the internet?
  #64  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:05 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
He realized there were live game rundowns all over the internet?

Ha! Fair point.
  #65  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:27 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 29,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I would never knock you for your optimism. People with a perpetually positive nature have accomplished great things in life. However, when you are a die hard for a team that has been to the World Series twice since Warren Harding was President I think you more than qualify in the patience department. Recent posts by JB and Dan H say it for me. I'm sure you say it for quite a few too. Diversity of thought is grand. In the meantime after the weekend debauchery in Detroit I'd at least like to see more baseball smarts and fewer brain cramps out there. Part of the development process is learning to play smarter.
And that's really an important statement here. The people who are optimistic about the rebuild, hey, I understand the reasons for that viewpoint. I've read the posts, and for those folks who are in that camp, I hear you, as well. If Moncada and Kopech actually do become All-Stars three years down the road, maybe the Sox will be very good. For the sake of everyone here, I hope that is the case.

But for me personally, this is painful and very difficult to watch. The Sox are on their way to a fifth straight losing season, and their seventh losing season in the past nine years. The Sox haven't made the playoffs since 2008 in an era of expanded postseason play. The Sox had the best pitcher in the AL on their roster over the past five years, and they wasted his talent -- as well as the talent of some others who are good players (Quintana, Eaton, Abreu, to name a few). Not only did ownership and the front office fail to augment the roster properly, they couldn't even be bothered to put a legitimate manager in charge of the team.

I'll admit to being irritated when the pro-rebuild group scolds me or another poster here by saying that we've "apparently forgotten" that the strategy of signing veterans has failed for the Sox. Do any of you honestly believe that I don't realize that acquisitions such as Keppinger, Navarro, Shields, Samardzija, LaRoche, et al, failed miserably for the Sox? I follow the Sox on a day-to-day basis, and have for many years, and will continue to do so. I'm as aware as anyone that previous front office strategies have failed, because I've been watching it every day for several years.

OK, now they changed course. There are legitimate arguments in favor of that strategy, and some of you have made those arguments quite well. But you all need to understand that some of us simply are not going to buy in until we see actual results at the major league level. The Sox organization lifers have lost our trust, plain and simple, and that's why I posted the phrase "new script, same bad actors" last night.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; 2015: 10-10; 2016: 13-10; 2017: 8-5; Total: 156-124.
Next game: April 2018

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

  #66  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:37 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 29,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
One of the most disappointing things to me is actually the lack of activity on this site. I've never been a heavy poster here, but always enjoyed lurking and reading other people's comments, especially because I live out of state and don't get to watch many games. I still lurk around here just as often as previous years, but it's a shame there are no longer daily game and post-game threads. That was kind of a shock to me, as there have always been game threads, even towards the end of the year after the team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Not that I'm helping the situation much because I don't post all that often, but again I have never posted all that often here (primarily, again, because I don't get to watch many games). I guess I just expected more from this community of hard core Sox fans. I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you guys, just being honest.
Your point is fair. The lack of activity on this site is unfortunate, and the reasons for that are varied, IMO. I think the primary reason for that is the fact that the Sox stink -- and they have stunk for a long time. It has a wearing effect even for those who have been die-hards for decades. We've seen that here in this thread.

And I also feel there isn't much of an appetite here to talk about the day-to-day fortunes of 2017 team. If you post on here that the starting rotation had a really bad week -- which it did -- the response will be along the lines of, "Welp, that's how it is when you're rebuilding." True statement, and what else is there to say after that?
  #67  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:50 PM
kobo kobo is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lake in the Hills
Posts: 5,302
Default

Rebuilds are painful, slow and can be boring depending on what you are looking for in a given season. I also understand why people are skeptical given that the FO is primarily the same as it has been the last 10 years. But I see change in the way this organization does business which leads me to believe that maybe they will get this right this time. Let's face it, this team is not going to be good this year and won't be next year either. And things are probably only going to get worse as the season goes on.

The irony here is that we all are sick and tired of watching this team lose on a regular basis. The direction this organization has decided to go is where we disagree. If the Sox had never won in 2005 I'd probably feel a lot like Nell, JB and others feel. But aside from wanting them to win it again in 2006 I don't really get worked up anymore about this team. I want this team to be successful, I want to see them make the playoffs in consecutive seasons but I'm not going to get all worked up about it anymore. Life is way too important and fast to worry about this stuff all the time, especially the media stuff.
  #68  
Old 06-05-2017, 03:51 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,025
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
And I also feel there isn't much of an appetite here to talk about the day-to-day fortunes of 2017 team. If you post on here that the starting rotation had a really bad week -- which it did -- the response will be along the lines of, "Welp, that's how it is when you're rebuilding." True statement, and what else is there to say after that?
This is key. I mean, what's the point of lamenting a poor Derek Holland start or a blown save by the bullpen? All Derek Holland's starts were likely to be poor, and a win or a loss won't really affect this team's 2017 path.

It really takes away from having anything to discuss.
  #69  
Old 06-05-2017, 04:16 PM
Paulwny Paulwny is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: In a Field
Posts: 6,545
Default

I finally found this,

If I was ever ordered to storm a pillbox, going to shear, sudden, and utterly certain death, and told to pick my platoon, I would pick White Sox fans. I would pick Sox Fans because they have known death every day of their lives--and it holds no terror for them anymore.

From WSI 2001, Special Edition
Article Written by George Bova aka Pale Hose George
__________________
She's the foundation I lean on, My woman, my WIFE.
  #70  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:03 PM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 10,398
Default

The weather finally is getting nice and interest in the Sox wanes once again. Traffic here gets less and less daily it seems. I just hope its like the flowers in the desert that lay dominant till the rains come but the drought may last a very long time. The Sox are part of my blood, I think of them constantly and are probably the diversion to the problems of everyday life. It is nice to see others are similar to me and maybe I really am sane.
  #71  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:04 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 8,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi
Haven't things changed though? The Sox finally admitted defeat with their patchwork "Stars and Scrubs" strategy and committed to building a team through young, controllable talent.
"Stars?" For most of the past half-decade, the only way you were seeing any "stars" in our everyday lineup was by getting hit over the head with a fungo bat.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #72  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 PM
shingo10 shingo10 is online now
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,180
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
One of the most disappointing things to me is actually the lack of activity on this site. I've never been a heavy poster here, but always enjoyed lurking and reading other people's comments, especially because I live out of state and don't get to watch many games. I still lurk around here just as often as previous years, but it's a shame there are no longer daily game and post-game threads. That was kind of a shock to me, as there have always been game threads, even towards the end of the year after the team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Not that I'm helping the situation much because I don't post all that often, but again I have never posted all that often here (primarily, again, because I don't get to watch many games). I guess I just expected more from this community of hard core Sox fans. I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you guys, just being honest.
Agreed, I enjoy reading the discussions and debates. In my own life things have become quite hectic in the last few months (nothing bad) and I unfortunately don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't run to catch the Sox games or read recaps. I've tried to support the team best as I can and have been to a game (out of state) but as far as giving the commitment that I'd give in say 2009-2010, well it just isn't there. I don't consider myself a "fair-weather" fan because I still invest in the team, it's just a different type of investment given the state of the franchise. The years of going for it and failing have really dampened my spirit. It's like going on a road trip knowing that it's a long drive and then getting days off course before you even find the road you were supposed to start on. Disheartening.
__________________
TWTW
  #73  
Old 06-05-2017, 05:41 PM
I_Liked_Manuel I_Liked_Manuel is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: downers ****ing grove
Posts: 1,464
Default

Let's hope the front office differs from some in this thread and is patient about this rebuild. My biggest fear in all of this is the Sox going on some kind of tear, get up to .500, and then Kenny walks in and sells off every prospect the Sox have in order to go 'all in' again
__________________
Teacher Says, Every Time Brian Anderson Gets A Hit, An Angel Gets Its Wings.
  #74  
Old 06-05-2017, 07:40 PM
ChicagoG19 ChicagoG19 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Armour Square
Posts: 1,148
Default

I have seen the drop in traffic on the site as others have, but there really is no one reason for it. The primary reason is obviously the poor play of the team. However, everyone expected that and it's not really surprising given the Sox are rebuilding and expected to be bad. There is not much analysis to be made. The only interesting/disappointing thing to me is the struggles of Quintana. In addition to the poor play, the site simply has a lot more competition than in did in the mid-2000s. Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat now have a lot of information/breaking news that you may have used to get from this site.
__________________
2017 Sox Attendance Record 0-2

Anticipated next game: 4/26 vs Royals
  #75  
Old 06-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Maximo Maximo is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dowagiac,Michigan
Posts: 770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
One of the most disappointing things to me is actually the lack of activity on this site. I've never been a heavy poster here, but always enjoyed lurking and reading other people's comments, especially because I live out of state and don't get to watch many games. I still lurk around here just as often as previous years, but it's a shame there are no longer daily game and post-game threads. That was kind of a shock to me, as there have always been game threads, even towards the end of the year after the team has been eliminated from the playoffs.

Not that I'm helping the situation much because I don't post all that often, but again I have never posted all that often here (primarily, again, because I don't get to watch many games). I guess I just expected more from this community of hard core Sox fans. I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you guys, just being honest.
I would like to contribute to the discussion from time to time, but honestly......what is there to say? In the words of the late former Arizona football coach, Dennis Green....."they are who we thought they were".

Or something to that effect.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.