Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Half of MLB has growing major DLs this season. It's league-wide.
I think teams are taking advantage of the 10-day DL so more players are going on the DL now when they'd normally be listed as day-to-day.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-04-2017, 02:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I think teams are taking advantage of the 10-day DL so more players are going on the DL now when they'd normally be listed as day-to-day.
That's definitely true, but there have also been a rash of players, especially pitchers, hitting the shelf for extended periods.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 06-04-2017, 03:06 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
That's definitely true, but there have also been a rash of players, especially pitchers, hitting the shelf for extended periods.
True especially with the White Sox who more often than not have thought the injury was relatively "minor" (i.e. only miss a few starts, short amount of time) only in reality these guys are missing months. So much for "minor."
Old 06-04-2017, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
True especially with the White Sox who more often than not have thought the injury was relatively "minor" (i.e. only miss a few starts, short amount of time) only in reality these guys are missing months. So much for "minor."
I don't think there has been a significant difference between the Sox' 2017 injury experiences and those of many of the other teams in MLB.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:49 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I'm sick and tired of the mediocrity (at best) that we've basically seen for the last decade so whatever happens...happens. I'm good with the rebuild and losing as many games as humanly possible to get the best chances for future star players.

I'm resigned to the fact the Sox will always now be second class citizens in the town so nothing is going to change that short of a dynasty taking place.

We'll see what the future holds.

In the meantime I've got my tapes and DVD's of better years to keep me warm.
The rebuild is a myth. Most MLB rebuilds are. The excitement people here felt over the rebuild was the product of their own fantasy.

This year is about the same as last year. It will probably get worse.

People felt better about this year because they have an experienced manager and they were used to blaming Ventura for the team being bad. But Renteria makes the same moves Ventura did. He might get more out of some players, but it's probably more likely that's coming from maturation. He is getting less out of Quintana, and I don't know if he can be blamed for that. This year's bullpen is shaking out the same as last year's bullpen, even if Kahnle seems to be developing into a solid, dependable reliever.

If you are going to trade your best players for prospects who aren't close to being ready, you are going to be mired in what looks up at mediocrity. And by the time they develop, you'll be demanding another rebuild.
Old 06-04-2017, 05:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
The rebuild is a myth. Most MLB rebuilds are. The excitement people here felt over the rebuild was the product of their own fantasy.

People felt better about this year because they have an experienced manager and they were used to blaming Ventura for the team being bad. But Renteria makes the same moves Ventura did. He might get more out of some players, but it's probably more likely that's coming from maturation. He is getting less out of Quintana, and I don't know if he can be blamed for that. This year's bullpen is shaking out the same as last year's bullpen, even if Kahnle seems to be developing into a solid, dependable reliever.

If you are going to trade your best players for prospects who aren't close to being ready, you are going to be mired in what looks up at mediocrity. And by the time they develop, you'll be demanding another rebuild.
If the organization is to succeed it has to do it by building a first class farm system that draft the best prospects they can get, instruct them with the best minor league instructors that they can find so that the prospects eventually become productive Major Leaguers. We traded our 2 best players and picked up some good prospects but what the hell are we going to pick up with what we have on our roster right now, nothing close to Moncada. What are guys like Abreu, Cabrera, Frazier and the rest going to get us in trades, I'm afraid not much.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-04-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:19 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What are guys like Abreu, Cabrera, Frazier and the rest going to get us in trades, I'm afraid not much.
Which is why all these injuries is so hurtful to the process. The Sox guys basically aren't good enough to bring squat by themselves but if you could package them with two or three others guys particularly pitchers doing well, you can possibly get something decent.

With now seven pitchers on the DL that's not happening.

Typical Sox luck in my opinion.

Everyone brags about the Sox track record of keeping guys healthy but in the year when they absolutely need that to happen guys are getting hurt left and right.

Like I said all you can do now is shake your head and laugh. It is what it is.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Let me say that I was always opposed to this so called rebuild. That being said, there have been some positive things this 2017 season. L. Garcia, Avi Garcia, Sanchez and Davidson have stepped up and done a very good job.
That's true and very positive.
ON the other hand, most of the trade-bait hasn't enhanced its value, if not reduced it. The FO made the affirmative choice not to move more than 1 player August and 2 over the winter.
A new front office that would take a fresh, objective look at personnel night have been the best course for the future. Hard to understand how a FO that was so inept in trying to build around Sale, Eaton et al. deserved another whack.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
A new front office that would take a fresh, objective look at personnel night have been the best course for the future. Hard to understand how a FO that was so inept in trying to build around Sale, Eaton et al. deserved another whack.
Loyalty is so very important to this organization historically (regardless of the results).
Old 06-04-2017, 08:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Nell, you are right about the post game. Connor McKnight said they'd take caller and they did not take a caller (unless I missed it).

He refers to Rick Renteria as Ricky.

The post game is horse hockey.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-04-2017, 09:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

The Sox and several other MLB teams are following a similar rebuild model. Hardly a myth, and sorry you can't embrace what was really the only way to logically go per baseball experts. It may not work in the end. But neither was 8 years of trying to plus holes. That this team was going to compete by filling holes is the myth. Because we've already lived that. Over and over.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Nell, you are right about the post game. Connor McKnight said they'd take caller and they did not take a caller (unless I missed it).

He refers to Rick Renteria as Ricky.

The post game is horse hockey.
What's terrestrial radio?
Old 06-04-2017, 09:46 PM
WSI Personality

I've been enjoying this season so far. This team is supposed to be bad. I'm really glad that there seems to be a plan rather than half-assing putting a team together.
No one's ever gonna take my life from me
I lay it down
A ghost is born

WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
2012 WSI Tourney Pick'em Champion

https://www.facebook.com/ModernHistoryMusic
(my band)
Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxjtrain View Post
I've been enjoying this season so far. This team is supposed to be bad. I'm really glad that there seems to be a plan rather than half-assing putting a team together.
Precisely!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:10 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
What's terrestrial radio?
Stop beating this horse into the ground. You've done it so many times, it's not funny anymore. We get it. You think newspapers and traditional radio are obsolete. Now quit repeating it.

As for the OP, I understand your frustration with the team and I'm sorry you're having a rough year. My car was totaled a week-and-a-half ago, so I've had some rotten luck lately myself.

That said, getting upset over this year is hardly worth losing sleep over. Yes, the team could look more competent in its effort, but we all knew what this season would be like once they traded Sale. It's still better than watching a team with high expectations underachieve year after year.

And you know something? I'd bet a lot that you'll be able to enjoy at least one more quality Sox team before your time comes. There's some exciting young blood on its way here and I have confidence in those pieces. We need a few more prospects obviously, but at least there's direction now. So cinch it up and hunker down because 2019 will be a helluva year.