White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 06-04-2017, 06:41 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamokes View Post
Nell, look at the bright side.....you WERN'T shoveling snow in February! The White Sox need to fix the front office before they start moving upwards. Is this a total rebuild OR did they just just move Sale (for the things he said about the front office) and Eaton ( for the LaRoche thing).

On a very serious note, when you look into getting your knee fixed watch the YouTube videos of Dr Richard Berger out of Rush Hospital in Chicago. I had my knee replaced by him two years ago and I had NO pain, none at all. My operation was at noon and I was home by 6:30pm the same evening. I was golfing within three weeks. Yes I had a total knee replacement. GREAT results.
Thanks for the info. That's great that you were back to normal in a month but I'm sure you are a lot younger than me, I'm hearing at least 3 months depending on how hard I go with the rehab. I had Synvisc injections in April and they helped and they last about 6 months, I'm still playing golf with the help of a brace. The Doc will reavaluate me in November and see if I can continue with the injections. I'm trying to hold out as long as I can as I heard there are some alternative procedures coming down the road pretty soon.
__________________
Coming up to bat for our White Sox is the Mighty Mite, Nelson Fox.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-04-2017 at 08:34 AM.
  #17  
Old 06-04-2017, 06:48 AM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,057
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'll keep watching. Don't really know why. I have zero faith that the "rebuild" will result in anything, and in the meantime we have this mess. I've mentioned before that I was in Viet Nam for the horror show of the '70 season, so I've been spared that. I fear that we'll see something similar before things get better, and I don't like "tanking."
I spent the 68 season in Nam and came home in time for the 69 and 70 seasons.
I've always thought that those 3 seasons were about as bad as things were ever going to be on the Southside but this stretch we are in now with only 2 winning seasons since 2008 is to me worse, who knows when we will become contenders again. We have some very good prospects but who knows how they will pan out.
  #18  
Old 06-04-2017, 07:56 AM
Dan H Dan H is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Highland
Posts: 2,561
Default

I'm with Little Nell on this. Rebuild or no rebuild, this is not fun to watch. The White Sox are on their way to their fifth consecutive losing season which is the worst since the period between 1944-50. It is highly likely that the team won't go to the post season this decade, the first time that was done in a decade since the 1970s. In 2013, the team barely avoided losing 100 games and had their worst season since 1970. Since winning the World Series, which is going on 12 years now, the club has won a grand total of one post season game.

I haven't been around as long as Little Nell, but I have seen many rebuilding efforts. There are always big promises made. Usually the team improves and has some success. But then there is an unfortunate injury or a trade that goes wrong, and it is back to rebuilding. I'm sure this rebuilding will bring some success. How long that success will last is another issue. Meanwhile, we can only wait for the winning to start and who really knows when that will be?
  #19  
Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,554
Default

I moved to DC this year so I haven't been able to see as many White Sox games as I would like but I still get alerts on my phone and honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been as many games like the past two. I'm surprised how often I've seen the Sox scratch and claw their way back into games. As others have said, I wrote off this season and I'm kinda intrigued by how guys like Garcia and Sanchez have performed. I'm also enjoying following our prospects in the minors. I think 2018 could be a fun year and 2019 might be very fun indeed!
__________________

Go Sox!!!
  #20  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:21 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
I'm with Little Nell on this. Rebuild or no rebuild, this is not fun to watch. The White Sox are on their way to their fifth consecutive losing season which is the worst since the period between 1944-50. It is highly likely that the team won't go to the post season this decade, the first time that was done in a decade since the 1970s. In 2013, the team barely avoided losing 100 games and had their worst season since 1970. Since winning the World Series, which is going on 12 years now, the club has won a grand total of one post season game.

I haven't been around as long as Little Nell, but I have seen many rebuilding efforts. There are always big promises made. Usually the team improves and has some success. But then there is an unfortunate injury or a trade that goes wrong, and it is back to rebuilding. I'm sure this rebuilding will bring some success. How long that success will last is another issue. Meanwhile, we can only wait for the winning to start and who really knows when that will be?
What other option is there?

Win with what we have?
  #21  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:25 AM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,669
Blog Entries: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I moved to DC this year so I haven't been able to see as many White Sox games as I would like but I still get alerts on my phone and honestly, I'm surprised there haven't been as many games like the past two. I'm surprised how often I've seen the Sox scratch and claw their way back into games. As others have said, I wrote off this season and I'm kinda intrigued by how guys like Garcia and Sanchez have performed. I'm also enjoying following our prospects in the minors. I think 2018 could be a fun year and 2019 might be very fun indeed!

You mean you actually think that this so-called "rebuild" is an actual rebuild and not a purge of Sale and Eaton because they stood up to management? You also think that something fun will happen in two years?

Your White Sox fan cred is hereby revoked.
__________________
I am Dabuiek
  #22  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:48 AM
delben91 delben91 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 6,715
Default

I want to start by saying I'm sorry to hear about some of Nell's health issues. I know when I have other negative things happening in my life I rely more on my diversions, often sports, and it seems that much worse when sports don't really provide much of an escape at all.

Since this seems to have evolved into a discussion of how do you follow this current version of the Sox, I know I've long since stopped watching the games. Haven't watched with any regularity since early in the 2013 season after the surprising run in 2012. Though living in San Diego I have more then my share of other local distractions, plus an infant son, so I probably don't miss watching the games as much as I would've 10 years ago before I moved west.

That said, I still read the game stories every day, read the box scores, watch the highlights if there are any. And I find myself spending more time with White Sox podcasts that seem to spend as much time following the prospects as they do the major league team, which I think helps me feel more optimistic then I would just following the current crop of big leaguers.

My Sox fandom, or at least my level of time investment day-to-day has always ebbed and flowed over the years. This is yet another low tide year in a series of them of late, but I imagine as my son gets older we'll probably (hopefully), have some quality Sox baseball to share in.
__________________
I've been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding.
  #23  
Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 AM
SI1020 SI1020 is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Deep in the heart of Dixie
Posts: 5,262
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
What other option is there?

Win with what we have?
You're absolutely right. There was no other option which is depressing in and of itself. It's not going to be easy, success is far from a certainty. No matter what the Sox need to draft and develop a hell of a lot better than they have for well over a decade.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
You mean you actually think that this so-called "rebuild" is an actual rebuild and not a purge of Sale and Eaton because they stood up to management? You also think that something fun will happen in two years?

Your White Sox fan cred is hereby revoked.
Maybe a rebuild and a purge can converge at the same time. I think that is what happened with Sale and Eaton my fan cred be damned. As for continuing the "rebuild" you need assets to offer and trade partners willing to deal. We'll see what happens this year and in the off season. It's way too early to judge the results although I continue to think it could be a rocky road. Also it's getting depressing this idea of who is or isn't a true Sox fan. I mean why not hollow this place out a little more until only those that agree can have their own little coffee klatsch.
  #24  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 AM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,127
Default

I'm not troubled by this season. I had low hopes even before the Sale and Eaton deals.

I'm looking forward to 2019, The guys we've gotten so far through trade s, drafts and a Cuban defection are looking promising. In the meantime, I get to spend my time doing other stuff.

It's easy to say that Sale and Eaton were sent away for their attitudes, but imagine what people here would be screaming about if word got out Hahn turned down those two deals. Eaton proved himself to be the injury we knew was waiting to happen.
__________________


‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
  #25  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:08 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 21,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
My main question and concern is how our Major League Baseball players racked up these injuries. Is this a one off? Or is this part of a larger issue like the White Sox off season conditioning program?
Half of MLB has growing major DLs this season. It's league-wide.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #26  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:11 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 21,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by delben91 View Post
I want to start by saying I'm sorry to hear about some of Nell's health issues. I know when I have other negative things happening in my life I rely more on my diversions, often sports, and it seems that much worse when sports don't really provide much of an escape at all.

Since this seems to have evolved into a discussion of how do you follow this current version of the Sox, I know I've long since stopped watching the games. Haven't watched with any regularity since early in the 2013 season after the surprising run in 2012. Though living in San Diego I have more then my share of other local distractions, plus an infant son, so I probably don't miss watching the games as much as I would've 10 years ago before I moved west.

That said, I still read the game stories every day, read the box scores, watch the highlights if there are any. And I find myself spending more time with White Sox podcasts that seem to spend as much time following the prospects as they do the major league team, which I think helps me feel more optimistic then I would just following the current crop of big leaguers.

My Sox fandom, or at least my level of time investment day-to-day has always ebbed and flowed over the years. This is yet another low tide year in a series of them of late, but I imagine as my son gets older we'll probably (hopefully), have some quality Sox baseball to share in.
Great post. I could say much the same, except I live in Chicago.

As to those disappointed with this season, it was clear from the start this is what this season would be.
  #27  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:12 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 21,974
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
You mean you actually think that this so-called "rebuild" is an actual rebuild and not a purge of Sale and Eaton because they stood up to management? You also think that something fun will happen in two years?

Your White Sox fan cred is hereby revoked.
"So-called rebuild!" My favorite 2017 WSI thing!
  #28  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:18 AM
Golden Sox Golden Sox is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Oswego, Illinois
Posts: 1,483
Default

Let me say that I was always opposed to this so called rebuild. That being said, there have been some positive things this 2017 season. L. Garcia, Avi Garcia, Sanchez and Davidson have stepped up and done a very good job. I never thought any of them would amount to much. If Shields, Rodon and the bullpen guys hadn't gotten hurt, this team would have won more games this season. If these pitchers can ever come back the rest of the season could turn out good.
  #29  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Let me say that I was always opposed to this so called rebuild. That being said, there have been some positive things this 2017 season. L. Garcia, Avi Garcia, Sanchez and Davidson have stepped up and done a very good job. I never thought any of them would amount to much. If Shields, Rodon and the bullpen guys hadn't gotten hurt, this team would have won more games this season. If these pitchers can ever come back the rest of the season could turn out good.
There is again, the "so called" rebuild.

Didn't the Robert signing convince you?
  #30  
Old 06-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 31,337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Half of MLB has growing major DLs this season. It's league-wide.
True....save for the Cubs of course.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.