And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Post Sick and tired.

Well here we are mired in another losing streak. Interest here is about as dead as can be, no game threads or hardly any postgamers. This is the worst period of losing as a White Sox fan that I have experienced since the early 50s. I know we are rebuilding but is there a guarantee that the team will be a contender in 2 years. The Pirates went 20 years without a winning season. This will be our 5th straight losing season with only 2 winning seasons since 2008 with another losing season most likely in 2018.

Sorry but I'm sick and tired with all the losing, especially since I'm not getting any younger, I'll be 72 next February. I'm sick and tired of seeing a ballpark that is empty most of the time, I'm sick and tired of the White Sox being second class citizens in Chicago.

Besides the Sox I've have not had a good 2017 with some Golf related injuries and a lousy bout of the flu in February, I am bone on bone in the right knee and am probably going to have a total knee replacement later this year, on top of that I had an accident in my golf cart 3 weeks ago slamming into a palm tree causing me to fall out of the cart sustaining a bunch of nasty bruises. I guess some of you can understand why my disposition is so bad with the Sox making it worse.

Again I'm sorry but as far as the Sox are concerned, I'm a crotchety old man who needed to vent, and guess what, I don't feel any better and I'm still sick and tired.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-03-2017 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:20 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Well here we are mired in another losing streak. Interest here is about as dead as can be, no game threads or hardly any postgamers. This is the worst period of losing as a White Sox fan that I have experienced since the early 50s. I know we are rebuilding but is there a guarantee that the team will be a contender in 2 years. The Pirates went 20 years without a winning season. This will be our 5th straight losing season with only 2 winning seasons since 2008 with another losing season most likely in 2018.
Sorry but I'm sick and tired with all the losing, especially since I'm not getting any younger, I'll be 72 next February. I'm sick and tired of seeing a ballpark that is empty most of the time, I'm sick and tired of the White Sox being second class citizens in Chicago.
Again I'm sorry but as far as the Sox are concerned, I'm a crotchety old man who needed to vent, and guess what, I don't feel any better and I'm still sick and tired.
I'm sick and tired of the mediocrity (at best) that we've basically seen for the last decade so whatever happens...happens. I'm good with the rebuild and losing as many games as humanly possible to get the best chances for future star players.

I'm resigned to the fact the Sox will always now be second class citizens in the town so nothing is going to change that short of a dynasty taking place.

We'll see what the future holds.

In the meantime I've got my tapes and DVD's of better years to keep me warm.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I'm sick and tired of the mediocrity (at best) that we've basically seen for the last decade so whatever happens...happens.

I've got my tapes and DVD's of better years to keep me warm.
I edited my post so I'm not sure if you read everything.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

The team finally just entered a full rebuild this past winter, something they should have done years ago. What did you expect from this season? Everyone knew the 2017 results wouldn't be good going into it. They've done a great job stocking the farm system in the last 6 months with top prospects and more will be acquired over the next couple months.

It might not be until 2019 or 2020 but good times are certainly ahead.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:38 PM
WSI Guru

Nell:

Sorry for your issues but the reality is this is the way it is going to be regarding the Sox for, in my opinion, the next two years after this one. May as well take it in stride.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

It is annoying, but it's expected. It doesn't make it any easier to watch, thought.

In the final analysis, it's just a game. It so happens that our team isn't very good at this game, and that bugs most of us.

I've been doing other things which make me happy. I watch some of the games, and listen to the minor league stuff that shows the possible future.

When they're really hard to watch, I just watch something else.

Little Nell, I hope your year gets better.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:34 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Besides the Sox I've have not had a good 2017 with some Golf related injuries and a lousy bout of the flu in February, I am bone on bone in the right knee and am probably going to have a total knee replacement later this year, on top of that I had an accident in my golf cart 3 weeks ago slamming into a tree causing me to fall out of the cart sustaining a bunch of nasty bruises. I guess some of you can understand why my disposition is so bad with the Sox making it worse.

I hear you loud and clear. I don't golf, never did but I still hit the gym and lift my weights. My knees aren't in that great a shape either, I actually used to have a decent vertical leap as late as my 40's and I am quite short. Now heavy squats and leg presses are out of the question. Sorry about your knee. I would never tell you what to do but there are some great things on the horizon which I hope will be available to me if and when the time comes.

As for our Sox, yes it is more than a little bit depressing. I think some of the younger fans don't understand that we grew up with some good solid baseball and came to expect it. The Sox are going to have 5 losing seasons in a row for the first time since their losing streak from 1944-50. I don't see anything positive happening before 2019 at the earliest and the odds are it will be longer than that. Rebuilds are difficult and dicey under the best of circumstances. Some seem to think we can trade ourselves back into contention only our cupboard is pretty bare to begin with. I wish it all were different but this is our reality and like I said I hear you loud and clear.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Besides the Sox I've have not had a good 2017 with some Golf related injuries and a lousy bout of the flu in February, I am bone on bone in the right knee and am probably going to have a total knee replacement later this year, on top of that I had an accident in my golf cart 3 weeks ago slamming into a palm tree causing me to fall out of the cart sustaining a bunch of nasty bruises. I guess some of you can understand why my disposition is so bad with the Sox making it worse.

For what it is worth, I believe the arrow is pointed up. I am with you: I am shy your age but it sure seems as if a lot of time was wasted from the mid-naughts until now.

I don't know about you, but for me time is the most importance commodity in life.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-03-2017, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I hear you loud and clear. I don't golf, never did but I still hit the gym and lift my weights. My knees aren't in that great a shape either, I actually used to have a decent vertical leap as late as my 40's and I am quite short. Now heavy squats and leg presses are out of the question. Sorry about your knee. I would never tell you what to do but there are some great things on the horizon which I hope will be available to me if and when the time comes.

As for our Sox, yes it is more than a little bit depressing. I think some of the younger fans don't understand that we grew up with some good solid baseball and came to expect it. The Sox are going to have 5 losing seasons in a row for the first time since their losing streak from 1944-50. I don't see anything positive happening before 2019 at the earliest and the odds are it will be longer than that. Rebuilds are difficult and dicey under the best of circumstances. Some seem to think we can trade ourselves back into contention only our cupboard is pretty bare to begin with. I wish it all were different but this is our reality and like I said I hear you loud and clear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
For what it is worth, I believe the arrow is pointed up. I am with you: I am shy your age but it sure seems as if a lot of time was wasted from the mid-naughts until now.

I don't know about you, but for me time is the most importance commodity in life.
Thanks guys for the nice words. My problem is that I've never stopped caring about this team, I thought when I married back in 1969 and had a child a year later that the White Sox wouldn't be all that important to me anymore but after many decades it hasn't happened. I want this team to win every game they play and am not one of those that think the more we lose the better players we will get in future drafts, this franchise except for Thomas and Baines and a few others has a bad track record in that department.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-03-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 PM
WSI Personality

The biggest bummer to me over that last 4-5 years is that they never took a major risk; I think a above average DH could have gotten at least one playoff appearance. While I didn't dislike any of the moves they made, Dunn/Fraizer/Melky all seemed like "B" moves, dreams like Rollins even less. Besides for monetary concerns, I don't think having a disappointing free agent signing like Justin Upton on the roster would hurt anything at the moment.

I would guess stats show the best teams develop the stars they need and are able to put in supporting pieces for a championship run, but IF the current group of prospects develops into a solid core and there is a need, I really hope the White Sox are willing to take that risk on a FA this time.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Hang tough Nell. 7 and 2 and black and blue with the flu can take a lot out of a tough Trooper like you. This team sure has a way to tweak that last nerve. 2005 seems like it happened 40 years ago.

Vent away hombre. It's what being a Palehose fan is all about.

BK59
Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 PM
WSI Personality

Nell, look at the bright side.....you WERN'T shoveling snow in February! The White Sox need to fix the front office before they start moving upwards. Is this a total rebuild OR did they just just move Sale (for the things he said about the front office) and Eaton ( for the LaRoche thing).

On a very serious note, when you look into getting your knee fixed watch the YouTube videos of Dr Richard Berger out of Rush Hospital in Chicago. I had my knee replaced by him two years ago and I had NO pain, none at all. My operation was at noon and I was home by 6:30pm the same evening. I was golfing within three weeks. Yes I had a total knee replacement. GREAT results.
Old 06-04-2017, 12:19 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I love summers with meaningful baseball but once again it doesnt look like Ill have one and it stinks.

Then regarding Little Nells problems, thats the price one pays for getting old and you know what? It will get worse as one lives longer. Thats why one needs an escape and Sox have not been that for awhile and who knows when they will.
Old 06-04-2017, 02:54 AM
Official Professor

I'll keep watching. Don't really know why. I have zero faith that the "rebuild" will result in anything, and in the meantime we have this mess. I've mentioned before that I was in Viet Nam for the horror show of the '70 season, so I've been spared that. I fear that we'll see something similar before things get better, and I don't like "tanking."

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 06-04-2017, 05:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'll keep watching. Don't really know why. I have zero faith that the "rebuild" will result in anything, and in the meantime we have this mess. I've mentioned before that I was in Viet Nam for the horror show of the '70 season, so I've been spared that. I fear that we'll see something similar before things get better, and I don't like "tanking."
Nell, I know each case is different but I know five or six people that have had knee replacements and are far better off for it. One person, who I used to work with, is now playing tennis again after two knee replacements.

As for the rebuild I have some faith. The drafting seems better, I believe Renteria is a real manager and Hahn seems to be in charge.

What makes the situation wat it is are players like Frazier, Melky and L. Garcia. The first two are under performing at the plate (Frazier is terrible) and L. Garcia is painful to watch in the field. When a team cannot do the basics it makes losing worse.

As Lip mentioned before there are a lot of injuries. Especially to pitchers.

My main question and concern is how our major league baseball players racked up these injuries. Is this a one off? Or is this part of a larger issue like the White Sox off season conditioning program?
Closed Thread