Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
With money as no object:

Bring in all new radio and TV announcers.
Well, they don't cost the Sox any money and....where will they play?

‎This just in from the newswires: The Anti-Trust Division of the US Department of Justice has announced that whenever Sale take The Bump, it is unfair competition in violation of various federal and state laws. However, he is not being prosecuted because it is so ****in awesome to watch him do his craft.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:23 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Well, they don't cost the Sox any money and....where will they play?
As Lip said the franchise has a losing mentality, we need to bring in people that will renew interest in the Sox much like Harry Caray did in 1971. The 4 guys we have in the TV and Radio booths couldn't give away tickets for free.
The franchise has to rebuild the fan base where in our bad years we still can draw 2 million a year, it's going to be a hard job especially with the team 8 miles north having a fan base that out numbers us by probably a 2 to 1 ratio.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-19-2017 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:39 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
As Lip said the franchise has a losing mentality, we need to bring in people that wifi renew interest in the Sox much like Harry Caray did in 1971. The 4 guys we have in the TV and Radio booths couldn't give away tickets for free.
Are there anything radio tv announcers in other markets, that produce interest in their fan base anymore?
Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Are there anything radio tv announcers in other markets, that produce interest in their fan base anymore?
There will never be guys again like Caray, Brickhouse, Bob Prince, Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen or Red Barber again but one can hope.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
There will never be guys again like Caray, Brickhouse, Bob Prince, Ernie Harwell, Mel Allen or Red Barber again but one can hope.
Quote:
My experience from watching smatterings of games on MLB Network is that most announcers are dry, colorless and dull as paint. Hawk is the last of his kind and if he announced for the other guys, he would be as revered a legend as Harry was once he went there.

Of course, one need not rip the team endlessly as Caray did with the Sox in order to be colorful, exciting and interesting. But today's happy talk announcers sound dull even when being positive.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Marty Brennerman in Cincinnati comes to mind. Although I think he has downsized the number of games that he does.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
My experience from watching smatterings of games on MLB Network is that most announcers are dry, colorless and dull as paint. Hawk is the last of his kind and if he announced for the other guys, he would be as revered a legend as Harry was once he went there.

Of course, one need not rip the team endlessly as Caray did with the Sox in order to be colorful, exciting and interesting. But today's happy talk announcers sound dull even when being positive.
I have occasionally sampled some of the other teams on MLB and have come to the same conclusion as you. I never like being the cynical old man but I'm more than happy to have watched and listened to many classically good baseball announcers.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
My experience from watching smatterings of games on MLB Network is that most announcers are dry, colorless and dull as paint.
Yes, I agree. Most, but not all. I watch on MLB.TV and it defaults to whoever is the home team so I listen to lot of other announcers. The team I just heard in Toronto was quite good. Buck Martinez and somebody else. He was definitely Canadian and I thought I heard Martinez call him Joe and ask about when he pitched but I don't know who he was.

Also, the guy that did the Sox pre-season games in Arizona was very good. His regular job is with the Las Vegas 51s, Russ Langer. He also had a young guy work with him for one game and the two of them were excellent. I'd hire them in an instant to do Sox games full-time.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:17 PM
WSI Personality

I would bring back the diamond sock. The 'Sox' on the sleeve looks out of place to me still.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:13 PM
WSI Guru

I would make moves that bring energy back to the game-day experience which frankly, is very lacking in a lot of areas. Yeah, it doesn't help that few people are in the stands, but a crowd of 12,000 deserves just as much enthusiasm from the personnel as one of 40,000.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Holly **** where did this thread come out from? Did they blow up the rebuild?
Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Take a page out of the Brewers' playbook and have a standing policy of half-price tickets for seniors and kids whenever there is a weekday day game. The atmosphere is wonderful at Miller Park on those days, and I think the concept would translate really well to our park.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Take a page out of the Brewers' playbook and have a standing policy of half-price tickets for seniors and kids whenever there is a weekday day game. The atmosphere is wonderful at Miller Park on those days, and I think the concept would translate really well to our park.
Maybe...I don't think it would translate as well on the south side of Chicago as it does in Milwaukee. But I'd also guess that revenue from tickets sales (or half-ticket sales) is a relatively small portion of the organization's income. More important to generate interest, which translates to revenue in a lot of different ways other than ticket sales.
Old 06-20-2017, 08:08 AM
WSI Prelate

I would keep the city name only on road jerseys.

And clean out the front office. The Sox are sitting on the first 5 year stretch of losing seasons since 1944-1950.
Arizona had the right approach -bring in a new FO, make small changes and take an objective, fresh look at things.

Last edited by Tragg; 06-20-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would fire Kenny Williams and Rick Hahn.

I would work on building a new stadium with a retractable roof.

I would hire the best GM money could buy and let them go to work.

I would make any retired number available except 42 but you would have to earn the right to wear the number.