Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2017, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
I nominate Gregory Infante.
I second that emotion.

Last year I was in Manchester, NH for work. I saw a couple AA Manchester Fisher Cats games. Infante pitched against the River Cats. I sure didn't expect to see Infante in a Sox uniform this year or ever again.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello
Old 06-19-2017, 04:36 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Wouldn't Holmberg be the guy optioned to Charlotte to make room for Rodon on the roster?
Infante is the one who should go. He's redundant on the roster with Ynoa, and has less upside than Ynoa.

Holmberg has pitched well and could fill a niche as the second lefty in the bullpen, which would perhaps negate the urge to overuse Jennings.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Yes, in a perfect world, Infante should go away. However, IIRC, Infante cannot be optioned, and I have seen this team keep an inferior player without an option over a superior player with an option many times before. My guess is that history repeats itself in this situation.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:28 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Yes, in a perfect world, Infante should go away. However, IIRC, Infante cannot be optioned, and I have seen this team keep an inferior player without an option over a superior player with an option many times before. My guess is that history repeats itself in this situation.
Sure, that has happened many times in baseball history, but are we really concerned about Infante being claimed? He turns 30 years old next month and his ERA is over 6. I'd bet the chances of him clearing are no worse than 50-50.

Also, I'm not as impressed by Chris Beck as some people are, and I'd option him before I'd option Holmberg.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:48 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Sure, that has happened many times in baseball history, but are we really concerned about Infante being claimed? He turns 30 years old next month and his ERA is over 6. I'd bet the chances of him clearing are no worse than 50-50.

Also, I'm not as impressed by Chris Beck as some people are, and I'd option him before I'd option Holmberg.
All I can do is look at similar moves this front office has made in the past and try to read the tea leaves. This is a front office that worried about Jerry Sands being claimed in 2016 and Hector Noesi being claimed in 2015 despite the obvious evidence of their suckitude.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Per your second point, Renteria seems to be more impressed with Beck than anyone around here. I am impressed in that Beck is getting out in key game situations rather than mop up, but I think the faith Renteria has in him is the most impressive aspect to his season.

As for Infante being claimed, there are bullpens that are worse off than the Sox. Some of them are with teams that fancy themselves contenders and will be scrambling for arms soon.

Also, if the Sox need to fill gaps on the staff due to trades, if they don't bring up prospects, who they bring up could make Infante look good if Infante isn't around.

It's odd, but low-achieving relief pitchers get claimed more often than you would think by teams that should know better. Long before the White Sox gave up on winning, they claimed Hector Noesi less than a week after tagging him for seven earned runs on seven hits (that stayed in the park) in just one inning of work, his last in a Rangers uniform.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Quote:
All I can do is look at similar moves this front office has made in the past and try to read the tea leaves. This is a front office that worried about Jerry Sands being claimed in 2016 and Hector Noesi being claimed in 2015 despite the obvious evidence of their suckitude.
Infante at 29 yrs old was pitching at AA last year, how much value could he have? If he has any value trade him.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:33 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCrawdad View Post
Infante at 29 yrs old was pitching at AA last year, how much value could he have? If he has any value trade him.
He has none. I believe he would clear waivers.