Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2017, 04:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Even with a three-eights of a season of above average performance I'd start looking to see if Avi has value before the trade deadline.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 AM
WSI Personality

Default Beast

#agasmvptc
It was easy to see even way back in April.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Avi is having a good season so far but I still want to see him keep it up over the course of a full season. Seems like he is chasing fewer bad pitches but he stills chases them sometimes.

Good news for him is that guys around him are hitting some too. This means he isn't getting stuck in the 3-slot and isn't getting nothing but junk thrown his way. I think the big change for him is that he is beating fewer balls into the ground and therefore getting better results.

But I still want to see it over the course of a season. We've seen hot streaks from him before. This one is just [a lot] longer than the rest so far.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM
WSI High Priest

His numbers are fantastic. And given that every team gets at least one All-Star representative, and the Sox really have no one else worthy of consideration, I don't see how Avi can't make the All-Star team this season. And yes, I realize I just jinxed him. Sorry, Avi.

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:59 AM
WSI Personality

If some team wants to over pay for him and give us a top 100 and a lower level guy, then let's sell high on him.

He still has a frightening K/BB ratio at 57/9.

Definitely has looked WAY better in the batters box, but still have to keep the future as our top priority.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

I want to believe in this. I really really do.

But the BABIP is still .417 and he is walking at 3.5% clip.

Crazy comparing the top 25 OBP leaders to him in walk rate. Just doesn't seem possible to sustain, but I will enjoy the ride.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop
I want to believe in this. I really really do.

But the BABIP is still .417 and he is walking at 3.5% clip.

Crazy comparing the top 25 OBP leaders to him in walk rate. Just doesn't seem possible to sustain, but I will enjoy the ride.
Opposing pitchers are stupidly continuing to challenge him instead of taking their chances with an easier out further down the lineup. We need to see what happens to the BB rate once opposing pitchers come to their senses and pitch around him. Will he have enough plate discipline to lay off junk, or will he extend his zone trying to make something happen?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Opposing pitchers are stupidly continuing to challenge him instead of taking their chances with an easier out further down the lineup. We need to see what happens to the BB rate once opposing pitchers come to their senses and pitch around him. Will he have enough plate discipline to lay off junk, or will he extend his zone trying to make something happen?

That's a great point.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
What's interesting, though is that although he has only walked nine times, five of those walks have come on 3-2 counts. He has seven strikeouts on 3-2 counts. That's pretty much even considering that one of those 3-2 strikeouts was likely called on a borderline pitch. He also is hitting .333 on 3-2, which tells you he isn't chasing a lot of bad pitches.

That is significant because the book on Garcia coming into this season had a lot to do with him chasing pitches out of the strike zone, which makes it seem odd that pitchers should be challenging him as much as you note they obviously are. Maybe he's established a greater command of the strike zone. Maybe he's found a sweet spot just off the plat whee he used to be vulnerable.

It's not uncommon to see a player get off to a good start, or at least start hitting in a good groove when they find a comfort zone. A lot of prospects come up and make a big splash immediately before pitchers figure out how to make life hard for them. Garcia though, seems to be making the adjustments, and continues to drive the ball. If you hit the ball with authority, a high percentage of balls you put in play will go for hits. That's that defines elite hitters, and the pitches they put in play has a lot to do wiht that.

I like the fact that he isn't going up to the plate looking to walk and hope that he doesn't expand his strike zone when pitchers become determined not to give him anything to hit. Maybe, though, it will be easier for him than in the past to lay off bad pitches when he is hitting so well.

He isn't going to the plate trying to figure it out.
Old 06-19-2017, 02:13 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
If some team wants to over pay for him and give us a top 100 and a lower level guy, then let's sell high on him.

He still has a frightening K/BB ratio at 57/9.

Definitely has looked WAY better in the batters box, but still have to keep the future as our top priority.
Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't the Sox have him under their control until 2020? He just turned 26 and this is just his third full season. I don't expect him to hit .330 (or even .310), but I don't look at this the same as I would some journeyman 32 year old who catches fire for part of a season. I think he is very much still developing/improving so the book isn't yet written on him. For those reasons, coupled with the Sox lack of hitting prospects, I think it would be kind of foolish to dump him for just anyone that cracks a Top 100 prospects list.

If I were the Sox, I'd be reluctant to part with guys like Avi, Davidson, and Abreu unless someone really overpays.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:38 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Maybe I'm mistaken, but don't the Sox have him under their control until 2020? He just turned 26 and this is just his third full season. I don't expect him to hit .330 (or even .310), but I don't look at this the same as I would some journeyman 32 year old who catches fire for part of a season. I think he is very much still developing/improving so the book isn't yet written on him. For those reasons, coupled with the Sox lack of hitting prospects, I think it would be kind of foolish to dump him for just anyone that cracks a Top 100 prospects list.

If I were the Sox, I'd be reluctant to part with guys like Avi, Davidson, and Abreu unless someone really overpays.
I thought I recently saw where he's under control for another two years (I could be wrong about that though...)
Old 06-19-2017, 04:01 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I thought I recently saw where he's under control for another two years (I could be wrong about that though...)
That is correct.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You are correct. He's a UFA after the 2019 season.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:56 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
You are correct. He's a UFA after the 2019 season.
That's good timing. Either this season turns out to be his turning point and he can (by that time) be a veteran presence/anchor on team for all the youngsters coming up... or, he proves that this was just a fluke year and he simply holds down the fort until some youngster replaces him and none of us miss him when he's gone.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:08 PM
WSI Personality

Default Yes

All Star - Check
Mvp - ????
TC - ???