Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2017, 12:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
We need a like button.
....this works as a Like button but it would be nice if we could have a instant Like button that you could press without looking up the thumbs up.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Maybe but I think that involves a little wishcasting on Shields. I doubt we get anymore from him then we get from Holland, Gonzalez, or Homberg. and I think that would require Q pitching like he's capable. And then there's the question of how sustainable the play of the young hitters is. Hopefully it is sustainable. Players coming into their own at 26 or 27 is really not the rarity that it is commonly believed to be.
Since opening day, I've wondered if Quintana is struggling, not with the concept of being traded, but the concept of being the ace of the staff. I have wondered if Quintana is struggling because Sale was traded.

The two senior Garcias, Sanchez and Davidson are players who are have developed. It took a long time for Davidson to develop from the player he was projected to be when the Diamondbacks took him at the end of the first round eight years ago. Maybe what is going on with Davidson, who is essentially providing what Frazier was expected to, would have happened last year if he hadn't been injured in the first game after his callup. But Davidson is only 26 as is Avisail Garcia, who is living up to the potential the Tigers saw in him when the Tigers signed him out of Venezuela at 17. To a degree, that could apply to Kahnle as well.

On one hand, and of course, you would be looking at Shiields and Rodon being healty, you can wonder what would have been if the Sox hadn't traded Sale, hadn't traded Eaton, had hung on to Avila, maybe traded Cabrera and Frazier to build a serviceable bullpen, which has a few strong components but is very thin. The division is so weak that it could be a wild race this year without the White Sox.

On the other hand, you are looking at the development of players who didn't come through quickly enough through the system to head off the panic that led to trading two of the best players on the team for prospects. That would raise the question of why the White Sox traded for prospects that were not MLB-ready. You don't know that Avisail Garcia was rushed to the majors any more than you know Gordon Beckham was rushed. You really don't know if adjusting to the majors after the majors adjusted to your brief initial success is the lengthy process. I am convinced that some players need to be "rushed" because they aren't going to learn anything more in AAA where they find their comfort zone.

Some players don't need much time in the minors. Buster Posey needed to work on his defense. Frank Thomas went to the Sox from Birmingham. Some need time in the minors and some need time in the majors to figure it out because they can't learn what they need to in the minors.

I am concerned that the things I read about Avisail Garcia in the offseason, and there are still people here who insist that they were right and he can't hit, the things I read people saying about Tim Anderson, foreshadow the difficult times ahead as the Sox phase in their top prospects.

People thing all you need to do is leave a top 20 prospect in the minors long enough and, given enough of them, you'll win championships. Like the Cubs. But the Cubs didn't build a dominant team. They benefited from a weak league with half the teams rebuilding and a weak interleague schedule while their staring pitching was at its peak. People don't want to let them go because they're so damned lovable, but they are and deserve to be a .500 team.

I liked the signing of Robert, just as I like the signing of Abreu. But the whole idea of trading controllable players who can help you win for prospects who are not major league-ready is wishcasting.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
It's weird to drive home from a game and see no postgamer, but okay.

Derek Holland walked the tightrope all night and somehow escaped disaster. Matt Davidson put the game out of reach with a big blast. But the real hero of the game was Mrs. FJ.

The Sox took the lead in the 4th, but were looking to give it back in the 5th. With runners on the corners and no out, Mrs. FJ turned to us and said "We need a popup and a double play." Manny Machado popped out and slammed his bat down, then Mark Trumbo grounded into a double play. We were stunned.

In the 6th, Trey Mancini doubled to lead off. Mrs FJ said, "We need another popup. Jonathan Schoop promptly popped out to the catcher, and Holland wriggled off the hook again.

So in the bottom of the 6th, when the Sox loaded the bases, I turned to Mrs. FJ and said, "What's your prediction on this one?" She promptly replied, "Grand Slam, and they'll play Na-Na-Hey-Hey." Of course, you know the outcome.

Fun night at the park with a small crowd. I know we enjoyed the outcome.
Mrs. FJ: The Great Prognosticator
Robin!

Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Old 06-14-2017, 04:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Too bad one of these runs we got off the O's the last two nights can't be transferred to regulation time of the October 8, 1983 game......
And we had LaMarr ready for game 5!