White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2018, 04:35 PM
WSI High Priest

Former Sox starter Derek Holland has signed a minor league deal with the Giants.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:52 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...00-free-agents

We're totally going to have a work stoppage.

The MLBPA's years of ensuring older players got overpaid while passed their primes (and not pushing for their underpaid younger players to make more) has finally hit a head. The MLB owners cries of being too poor to compete has completely been exposed. Scott Boras is just fanning the flames at this point.

Let players start free agency sooner, end the luxury tax, end the draft-compensation rules, and you'll see players making more money albeit at an earlier age. There is no reason why a 32 year old who is just above average should make more than a 22 year old who is good and can have 10 great years ahead of him.
Before 2022, when the Sox are good again...naturally right?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
We're totally going to have a work stoppage.
Good.

Quote:
The MLBPA's years of ensuring older players got overpaid
How?

Quote:
The MLB owners cries of being too poor to compete has completely been exposed.
Are you saying the owners of the Royals can compete with the owners of the Yankees?

Quote:
end the luxury tax
Great, we'll have an oligopoly and the league will be forced to contract. Maybe we can go back to a shorter season, two divisions per league, league championships and a WS that ends in the first week of October.

Quote:
There is no reason why a 32 year old who is just above average should make more than a 22 year old who is good and can have 10 great years ahead of him.
So you pay on potential?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 02-09-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:01 PM
WSI Regular

I'd would really be interested for you to expound on your brief retorts.

Specifically the Royals competing against the Yankees. Are you saying when you purchase a professional sports franchise that no one is allowed to do better/have more resources than you?

Are you defending the proposition of paying a 32 whose performance is worse more than a younger player? Just paying for past performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Good.

How?

Are you saying the owners of the Royals can compete with the owners of the Yankees?

Great, we'll have an oligopoly and the league will be forced to contract. Maybe we can go back to a shorter season, two divisions per league, league championships and a WS that ends in the first week of October.

So you pay on potential?
Old 02-10-2018, 05:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow6 View Post
I'd would really be interested for you to expound on your brief retorts.

Specifically the Royals competing against the Yankees. Are you saying when you purchase a professional sports franchise that no one is allowed to do better/have more resources than you?
Quote:
Are you defending the proposition of paying a 32 whose performance is worse more than a younger player? Just paying for past performance?
No, by compete I mean financially. I am saying smaller market teams generate smaller revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/

Quote:
The original point never mentioned the the older player's performance was worse than the 22 y/o.

Even with that, if the 32 y/o has a solid body of work established he should be paid accordingly. What that level may be is determined through a contract negotiated between the player and the club.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:04 PM
WSI Prelate

My guess is that there's going to be a FA feeding frenzy next offseason due to the players that will be available and all this talk of Collusion II will be forgotten.

Is it the owners' fault that Eric Hosmer and Scott Boras are leaving two 7-year/$140M+ contracts on the table because they want to squeeze an 8th year out of someone? What is the CBA supposed to do? Force a team to sign him for an 8th year? I'm not rooting for a work stoppage just so that the Hosmers of the league can get an 8th year.

Long term deals for Pujols, Fielder, Soriano and others turned out to be terrible ones for the team. Shame on owners for not wanted to repeat that? Maybe the next CBA can ban teams from using analytics to decide how to build their rosters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

No, by compete I mean financially. I am saying smaller market teams generate smaller revenue:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...teams-in-2010/
Agreed. Are there some teams who are simply poorly run and who have ownership that has the money but simply doesn't want to invest in a winner? Sure. But, I find it a bit incredible that all the "cheap" owners happen to be in small markets. If you look at the list of teams with the biggest payroll vs. market size, it almost perfectly matches up with NYY, LAD, BOS at the top and the small markets at the bottom with a few exceptions.

This goes against popular thinking, but I'm not a fan of shortening the waiting time for baseball starts to hit FA. That'll make it that much easier for the oligarchy of rich teams to rack up all the top talent while making it less probable for the smaller markets to ever get a nice playoff run going.

I have found it refreshing that teams like KC, Houston, Minnesota, and perhaps Milwaukee next and then the Sox have built playoff teams by developing solid talent from within. Are we now going to hope that MLB puts a stop to this and tilts the competitive balance even more toward the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:00 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Ken Rosenthal reporting Darvish is going to the Cubs. 6 years/$126 million + incentives.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:09 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Ken Rosenthal reporting Darvish is going to the Cubs. 6 years/$126 million + incentives.
Incentives can make the deal worth $150 million.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Time once again to avoid all local media.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

$126 million? Yikes.

Yeah, Iím sure that wonít be biting the Cubs in the ass in the latter half of the contract.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:24 PM
WSI Regular

If he produces well enough the first 3 years to make that value, then the latter half won't matter. The Cubs are very, very wealthy and can easily afford it. It's a good move.

The Brewers have to go get Arrieta now IMO.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
Quote:
If he produces well enough the first 3 years to make that value, then the latter half won't matter. The Cubs are very, very wealthy and can easily afford it. It's a good move.

The Brewers have to go get Arrieta now IMO.
Yep, sounds like a great addition for the Cubs. I was hoping the Brewers would get him

I can only hope Lester, at age 34, starts fading fast. They should get at least a couple of good years out of Darvish. That's what they want since they're going for it all now (as they should). I expect this contract won't slow them down in the pursuit of other players even if Darvish (who is 31 now) is over the hill in later years of this deal.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

I could be wrong, but every time I hear Ricketts speak it seems to me heís not very keen on paying the luxury tax. Thatís why even though they will be printing money after they finish everything around Wrigley, I havenít bought the Cub fan dream of them spending huge money on Harper.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Dang, That's a lot of money and a good pick-up all rolled into one.

277-241.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
My thoughts exactly. The Sox signing would have brought a few days of coverage. This won't get less than a few weeks.