White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2018, 09:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Dane Dunning has been promoted to AA and made his first start for Birmingham on April 26.
Which makes his next start tomorrow, correct?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 04-30-2018, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Which makes his next start tomorrow, correct?
I believe so. Dunning's first start was right after a Clarkin start and Clarkin is pitching today.

....actually, looking at the Barons' schedule, they're apparently off tomorrow. So, Dunning's next start should be on Wednesday.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:34 AM
WSI Prelate

Here are the latest updates to the MLB Top 100 Prospect list. They're doing things a little different this year and this is one of their scheduled "minor adjustments" to the list. The only Sox prospect affected by the updates is Dane Dunning, who goes from 88 to 73.

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/12-c...st/c-275769288
Old 05-21-2018, 08:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Steve Stone's thoughts on a few of the Sox top prospects:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...520-story.html
Old 06-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I have known that the Kannapolis players are old for their level, but I haven't been discounting their performance enough. If you look at old Kannapolis rosters, the players who go on to the big leagues tend to be 19 or 20. Players who are 23? The ones who are going to make it should be in Birmingham by now, if not the major leagues.

I get that the drafts have been college-heavy, and I get that there's a lot of talent above the Kannapolis kids, but the Sox have to solve this problem. That means being aggressive and letting some of the prospects flame out sooner.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I have known that the Kannapolis players are old for their level, but I haven't been discounting their performance enough. If you look at old Kannapolis rosters, the players who go on to the big leagues tend to be 19 or 20. Players who are 23? The ones who are going to make it should be in Birmingham by now, if not the major leagues.

I get that the drafts have been college-heavy, and I get that there's a lot of talent above the Kannapolis kids, but the Sox have to solve this problem. That means being aggressive and letting some of the prospects flame out sooner.
Most of the players on the Kanny roster are later round draft picks, so it's not like the team is counting on them to make an impact in the major leagues. Letting them hammer the competition in A ball for a season is not a big deal as long as they are not blocking any legit talent in Rookie Ball.

The bigger issue from my standpoint is the lack of players coming from the academies in Latin America. Successful Latin American programs load up the farm systems with 17, 18, 19 year olds that compliment your draftees.

The Sox also need to try and hit on some high school age players in the draft, but unless they're taking them in the first or second round, it's hard to get them to sign.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Most of the players on the Kanny roster are later round draft picks, so it's not like the team is counting on them to make an impact in the major leagues. Letting them hammer the competition in A ball for a season is not a big deal as long as they are not blocking any legit talent in Rookie Ball.

The bigger issue from my standpoint is the lack of players coming from the academies in Latin America. Successful Latin American programs load up the farm systems with 17, 18, 19 year olds that compliment your draftees.

The Sox also need to try and hit on some high school age players in the draft, but unless they're taking them in the first or second round, it's hard to get them to sign.
Is this just a lack of progress in the DSL et al? I know they are limited to 300K per person for a year or two, but I assume they are still signing guys, correct?
Old 06-04-2018, 10:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Is this just a lack of progress in the DSL et al? I know they are limited to 300K per person for a year or two, but I assume they are still signing guys, correct?

A lot of it ties back to the Wilder scandal. What prospect was going to sign with a team that had a director scamming the organization and players? Granted, it's beginning to fade away and the White Sox have upgraded quite a few of their facilities. But for a few years they were really struggling to get any top players, not to mention the consistent cheating that was occurring by the usual suspects (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs) with regards to overspending. The White Sox were the last team to cheat the system with the Robert signing, so they are limited to the $300K max along with 6 or 7 other teams in 2018.

The new international rules should level the playing field, hopefully the scandal won't resonate anymore with the kids looking to hook up with a team.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:24 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
A lot of it ties back to the Wilder scandal. What prospect was going to sign with a team that had a director scamming the organization and players? Granted, it's beginning to fade away and the White Sox have upgraded quite a few of their facilities. But for a few years they were really struggling to get any top players, not to mention the consistent cheating that was occurring by the usual suspects (Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Cubs) with regards to overspending. The White Sox were the last team to cheat the system with the Robert signing, so they are limited to the $300K max along with 6 or 7 other teams in 2018.

The new international rules should level the playing field, hopefully the scandal won't resonate anymore with the kids looking to hook up with a team.
The Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs didn't cheat the system. They decided to spend over slot since there wasn't a penalty in place for that until like 2013ish? The White Sox decided not to do that. I don't think they ever went over slot and that is probably part of the reason their farm system was god awful from 2003 to 2016.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 05:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The Yankees, Red Sox and Cubs didn't cheat the system. They decided to spend over slot since there wasn't a penalty in place for that until like 2013ish? The White Sox decided not to do that. I don't think they ever went over slot and that is probably part of the reason their farm system was god awful from 2003 to 2016.

They absolutely cheated the system. There's a reason they were penalized in the International Free Agent system and there's a reason MLB changed the rules. It's because they were cheating. There's no refuting that.