Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM
WSI Personality

Default 2018 White Sox Opening Day Lineup

If you want to get depressed try to predict the 2018 Opening day White Sox lineup. It might resemble the Opening Day lineups of the old St. Louis Browns or the 1962 Mets.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If you want to get depressed try to predict the 2018 Opening day White Sox lineup. It might resemble the Opening Day lineups of the old St. Louis Browns or the 1962 Mets.

Most of us understand how a rebuild works and understand that things will get bad before they get good.

Keep on focusing on the bad. But don’t be surprised when few join your pity party.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:17 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Well, aren't you a ray of sunshine?

It doesn't depress me in the slightest. The Sox have picked a lane. You either choose to support them or you don't. You can't have it both ways. If Rick's plan works and the team in 2020 is contending with young, talented, cost-controlled players, I hope you will admit you were wrong. In the meantime, its going to be ugly so there's no point in lamenting wins and losses.
Old 07-16-2017, 11:27 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post

It doesn't depress me in the slightest. The Sox have picked a lane. You either choose to support them or you don't. You can't have it both ways. If Rick's plan works and the team in 2020 is contending with young, talented, cost-controlled players, I hope you will admit you were wrong. In the meantime, its going to be ugly so there's no point in lamenting wins and losses.
Well said.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post

At this point, you want them to be bad so they get as high a draft picks as possible. While I root for them to win every game they play, I'm not disappointed when they lose. When you're rebuilding, it all comes down to getting as many potentially high-ceiling players as possible.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Meh. That top 3 pick tho......

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

I did this in another thread but, based only on who is in the organization right now, here is my best guess at 2020:

2B-Moncada
CF-Robert
DH-Abreu (or A.Garcia)
LF-Jiminez
1B-Sheets
3B-Burger
C-Collins
RF-Adolfo
SS-Anderson

SP-Kopech
SP-Hansen
SP-Cease
SP-Giolito
SP-Dunning

RP-Burdi
RP-Lopez
RP-Fulmer
RP-Stephens
LRP-Bummer
LRP-Flores
LRP-Guerrero

C-Skoug
IF-Sanchez
IF/OF-Yrizarry
OF-Basabe

This would of course mean that lots of other players get traded, both current major leaguers and prospects, probably resulting in other major league quality prospects... so who the heck knows! But at the moment that is how I think it is looking.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM
WSI High Priest

C - Josh Phegley
1B - Keon Barnum
2B - Gordon Beckham
SS - Marcus Semien
3B - Josh Fields
OF - Jared Mitchell
OF - Brian Anderson
OF - Courtney Hawkins
DH - Dyan Viciedo
SP - Lance Broadway

Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
WSI Regular

Of the position players, the only I'm ready to pencil into the 2020 lineup are the 3 studs at the top - Moncada, Jimenez, and Robert. They are the prospects I expect to make up the core of the team, and I'd be disappointed if any of them fail.

The there's the next wave - guys like Collins, Burger, Sheets, Basabe, Adolfo, Call, Fisher, etc. Some of them will succeed, others won't. And that's perfectly okay - the front office will have a better idea in a couple years who they'll be able to rely on and who they won't, and they could supplement the team with free agents accordingly. I like the fact that after the Jimenez trade, the Sox seemingly have at least 1 or 2 chances at every position. Before that trade, I'd say they were a bit short on high-end OF prospects.

Starting pitching is always a crap shoot, so I have no idea what to think. I'd say the ones that seem like the best bets are Kopech and Lopez. Giolito and Cease seem like boom/bust options - if either of them put it all together, they have a chance of being an ace, but they're a bit riskier. Dunning, Hansen, Stephens, and Adams would be pleasant surprises if they made it. Burdi and Fulmer seem destined for the bullpen at this point.

I'm encouraged by the sheer number of good pitching prospects. They won't all stick, but the likelihood of all of them failing is pretty low. And again, I'd expect at least one spot in the rotation to filled by a vet, acquired either as a FA or by trade.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

I just wonder how all these high minded brow beaters are going to react if the Sox are still mired in defeat come 2020 what ever the hell the lineup may be at that time. A few more 90-100 or more loss seasons in a row will grate on you, as the man in the commercial used to say "I guarantee it." They picked a lane. Whoppee ding dong. It isn't going to make the Sox any more watchable in the near term and it doesn't make success in the longer term a given. Of course I hope it all works out. The Sox need a minimum of 3 of their highly touted prospects to pan out, 4 is even better. They also need to string together some Larry Himes quality drafts in a row. Is it all doable? Yes, but a long ways from a sure bet.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:22 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I just wonder how all these high minded brow beaters are going to react if the Sox are still mired in defeat come 2020 what ever the hell the lineup may be at that time. A few more 90-100 or more loss seasons in a row will grate on you, as the man in the commercial used to say "I guarantee it." They picked a lane. Whoppee ding dong. It isn't going to make the Sox any more watchable in the near term and it doesn't make success in the longer term a given. Of course I hope it all works out. The Sox need a minimum of 3 of their highly touted prospects to pan out, 4 is even better. They also need to string together some Larry Himes quality drafts in a row. Is it all doable? Yes, but a long ways from a sure bet.
Oh give me a break.

More name calling against people who agree with the rebuild approach. What a shock.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Is it all doable? Yes, but a long ways from a sure bet.
Very true... but on the other hand it seemed like a "sure" bet that if the Sox stayed the course they were going to continue to put out mediocre (at best) players on the field, have significant holes and not even be able to win more games than they lost.

Of the two, me thinks that was a surer bet to happen then what may take place in three years.

And if the Sox still are garbage in 2020? Well sooner or later changes will be made among ownership and the front office. It's inevitable. There's always a chance things will be better then.

You roll the dice, take your chances and hope you'll be around to see the better times.

Welcome to life.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Is it all doable? Yes, but a long ways from a sure bet.
And if it doesnt work out, you know what, the Sox dont lose $ and probably make $. Their blunder doesnt matter much at all, this isnt a business that making mistake after mistake will hurt ownership financially. It only hurts the fans.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Very true... but on the other hand it seemed like a "sure" bet that if the Sox stayed the course they were going to continue to put out mediocre (at best) players on the field, have significant holes and not even be able to win more games than they lost.

Of the two, me thinks that was a surer bet to happen then what may take place in three years.

And if the Sox still are garbage in 2020? Well sooner or later changes will be made among ownership and the front office. It's inevitable. There's always a chance things will be better then.

You roll the dice, take your chances and hope you'll be around to see the better times.

Welcome to life.
If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.

It is a given that the team will be bad this year and next. It is highly likely that they won't have a particularly good record in 2019 as well. Though one would hope that a few young players add some excitement that year. 2020 may well be a losing year as well. I would expect the team to be full of mostly first and second year players. They may surprise and all come together the way the young Cubs did last year or the young Sox did in 2000 or they may be an interesting and exciting losing team. 2021 is a better bet for a competitive team making a run at the division and more.

A rebuild is far from guaranteed. I think everyone understands that. But losing like the Sox had been WAS guaranteed. They didn't have what it took to get better.

Now they do.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
At this point, you want them to be bad so they get as high a draft picks as possible. While I root for them to win every game they play, I'm not disappointed when they lose. When you're rebuilding, it all comes down to getting as many potentially high-ceiling players as possible.
I don't want the to lose period. If they have to lose I want them to despise losing and use experience to develop into better players.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004