And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 09:30 PM
WSI Guru

Default Name the Sox First Round Draft Picks

Sporcle Saturday, posted late.

Name the first round draft picks for the Sox since 1965. This one is tough.

Managed 24/70 before my head exploded, but should have had about 30. Some good names on here:

http://www.southsidesox.com/2017/6/1...nd-draft-picks
Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM
WSI Personality

They should have named this quiz "First Round Busts". I would have probably scored better than 26/70.

And you're right. This one left me with a real headache.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:45 PM
WSI Personality

Got 24/70. Can't believe I drew a blank on Tim Anderson. Kinda funny actually. The only two I missed from 00-present that were top 30 picks were Honel and Anderson.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:35 AM
WSI High Priest

What this tells you is that the Sox since the mid 60s have probably had the worst scouts in MLB.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:03 AM
WSI High Priest

That list is like a real cold shower, a hard dose of reality. The Sox are just going to have to get so much better at this. 1987-90 was a bonanza. Other than hit a lot of misses interspersed with the occasional hit. I would encourage everyone here to check this out.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I got 27 and thought of a 28th without typing in the name because I second guessed myself thinking he was drafted lower. I also struggled to remember the names of that string of pitchers from the late 90's to mid-00's that were almost completely busts. I actually had one of them but confused the last name with a guy that was a second round pick and had another on the tip of my tongue but just couldn't spit him out.

But I laughed when I saw the list and realized I missed the most aggravating of busts over the last few years. Never thought of him even once.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:27 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I got 33, and there were some low-hanging fruit I should have plucked. Remembered the players but couldn't spit out their names.

Here's another good one. I could only come up with 115 (57%), though of course I remember just about every player on the list.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/ironsi...-white-sox-200
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
What this tells you is that the Sox since the mid 60s have probably had the worst scouts in MLB.

Until you look at other team's historic first-round draft picks.

Look at the Cubs first-rounders. At least before 1980, the White Sox have Carlos May and Harold Baines. When the White Sox picked Frank Thomas in the first round in 1989, the Cubs took Earl Cunningham with the next pick.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:06 AM
WSI High Priest

The MLB draft, like any other in pro sports, is a crap shoot. The NFL Record and Fact Book lists every teams' number one pick. Read through it and, you'll find you share of busts.

I got a couple names simply by typiing in common surnames.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:45 AM
WSI High Priest

Joe Borchard from the 2000 draft was one of the more disappointing first round picks in my lifetime. I really thought that kid was going to be a star. (I'm sure the Sox scouts thought that too) Switch hitter, strong as an ox, tremendously athletic, and dominated at each level in the minor leagues. In Charlotte, he hit so many long HRs to CF that they nicknamed it "Borchard's Orchard" during his time there. Then he got to the majors and we all discovered a Texas sized hole in his swing that couldn't catch up to MLB pitching. He still owns the record for longest HR hit in our ballpark though.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 06-13-2017, 12:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Joe Borchard from the 2000 draft was one of the more disappointing first round picks in my lifetime. I really thought that kid was going to be a star. (I'm sure the Sox scouts thought that too) Switch hitter, strong as an ox, tremendously athletic, and dominated at each level in the minor leagues. In Charlotte, he hit so many long HRs to CF that they nicknamed it "Borchard's Orchard" during his time there. Then he got to the majors and we all discovered a Texas sized hole in his swing that couldn't catch up to MLB pitching. He still owns the record for longest HR hit in our ballpark though.

Baseball America had Borchard as their No. 12 prospect before the 2002 season. In 2010, he had bounced around to Fresno, the AAA affiliate in the Pacific Coast League and was actually hitting very well into July, but the Giants didn't call him up. He went on to play in the Domican Republic the following winter and an independent league in 2011 before he retired. And somewhere I have a Joe Borchard autographed ball.

But I remember sitting in the bleachers at Sox games in 2002 hearing fans talk about how great thing were going to be when Borchard came up and how they should just bring him up and let him develop. Good thing they didn't rush him.

For the White Sox, there was a happier ending as they traded Borchard to the Mariners for one of their failed first-round draft picks, but Matt Thornton actually turned out to be a pretty good pitcher for the White Sox.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

I cheated and just went to Wikipedia. What a list of great picks and guys who never were.

1977 - Harold Baines. One of my favorite Sox ever.

1997 - The Sox had six picks and the best they could do were Parque and Biddle? Mercy. Jason Dellaero at short...what the hell happened?

2001 - Covered some of Kris Honel's games at Providence when I was a freelancer. Was thrilled the Sox took him. Would have loved to have seen the local kid make good. If not for arm problems, who knows what might have been?

2005 - Lance Broadway. Have an autographed photo of him that I bought for two bucks at a Sox garage sale hanging in my cube at work.

2008 - Gordon Beckham. Really thought the Sox made a great pick here. Wanted him to be a star. Even bought a Beckham t-shirt/jersey. Never happened.

2009 - Jared Mitchell. Is it time to give up hope on him yet?
Old 06-13-2017, 04:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post
I cheated and just went to Wikipedia. What a list of great picks and guys who never were.

1977 - Harold Baines. One of my favorite Sox ever.

1997 - The Sox had six picks and the best they could do were Parque and Biddle? Mercy. Jason Dellaero at short...what the hell happened?

2001 - Covered some of Kris Honel's games at Providence when I was a freelancer. Was thrilled the Sox took him. Would have loved to have seen the local kid make good. If not for arm problems, who knows what might have been?

2005 - Lance Broadway. Have an autographed photo of him that I bought for two bucks at a Sox garage sale hanging in my cube at work.

2008 - Gordon Beckham. Really thought the Sox made a great pick here. Wanted him to be a star. Even bought a Beckham t-shirt/jersey. Never happened.

2009 - Jared Mitchell. Is it time to give up hope on him yet?
If it's any consolation, everyone thought Gordon Beckham was a great pick, a Golden Spikes finalist. What is amazing is that Golden Spikes winner, Buster Posey, was still available three spots before Gordon Beckham with Tim Beckham and Pedro Alvarez among the four picked before him.

Baseball America ranked Gordon Beckham the No. 20 prospect the season after he was drafted. That same list had Posey 14 and Pedro Alvarez (who like Gordon Beckham is now playing in the minors with his original organization long behind him) at 12.

It isn't about the scouting, at least not one organization being really bad at scouting while others are brilliant. You judge prospects on their physical tools and what they have done with them. Years later, you look at what they have done against major league competition.

Tony Gwynn is the best hitter I've had the opportunity to see in person, with all due respect to Frank Thomas, and while I respect the opinion of anyone who disagrees with me on my specific Gwynn ranking, I doubt that anyone would suggest that his career justifies his not being selected until the third round.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:31 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Look at the Cubs first-rounders. At least before 1980, the White Sox have Carlos May and Harold Baines. When the White Sox picked Frank Thomas in the first round in 1989, the Cubs took Earl Cunningham with the next pick.
My favorite Cubs pick was 1988 when they drafted Ty Griffin, a second baseman they intended to move to third because they already had Ryne Sandberg.

Sox drafted the best third baseman they've had the last 100 years with the following pick, and Griffin never played above Double A.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteorsSox4367 View Post

I looked at that 1997 draft. You would certainly hope that with six 1st round picks you would build yourself a strong minor league system.

Dellaero was really the only blown pick in that draft at #15. #16 was Lance Berkman.

The other five picks were compensation picks from #33 on. basically second round picks not really first round. And if you look at the guys drafted later or in the 2nd or 3rd rounds you see some guys that played in the majors but only two or three that turned in good careers. It doesn't really stand out as being as bad as it looks standing by itself.

1999 where we similarly had four picks that turned into a lot of nothing is a little worse for players that came later but even there you see the hit and miss nature of drafting.

2000 when we drafted Joe Borchard just wasn't a good year for the draft. He looked great compared to his class but if you look at the first round that year only a couple guys standout and only one of them was drafted before we got to Borchard at #12. It just wasn't a good year.

The lesson I take from that is that this years draft class by Sox looks encouraging as does last years but we really won't know for a couple more years whether they were simply good picks in a bad year or will actually be valuable additions to the major league team at some point.