White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
IronFisk's Avatar
IronFisk IronFisk is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Clown Point, IN
Posts: 1,117
Default White Sox Museum & HOF?

Just returned from a couple of days in Cincinnati, where I visited the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. If you haven't been there, here are some drool-worthy images:

https://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-...ame-and-museum

This was an amazing experience, and makes me think why the Sox ditched theirs over a decade ago. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to build something similar opposite the Depot on the north parking ramp, and using the Old Comiskey home plate as a focal point inside the building.

It's a big shame management hasn't thought of something as significant for a team with such a long history.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-11-2018, 03:54 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,792
Default

My wife had a conference in Cincinnati once and I tagged along with her. The Reds were out of town but the Hall of Fame was still open and since it was the middle of the week, no one was there. So I took that opportunity to throw a few innings on that mound they had set up in their Hall of Fame shop with the radar gun. It was a very productive use of my time.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 AM
XplodingScorbord XplodingScorbord is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just off the DFW flight path
Posts: 998
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
My wife had a conference in Cincinnati once and I tagged along with her. The Reds were out of town but the Hall of Fame was still open and since it was the middle of the week, no one was there. So I took that opportunity to throw a few innings on that mound they had set up in their Hall of Fame shop with the radar gun. It was a very productive use of my time.
And where’d your fastball top out? We might need you in the pen.
__________________
**Xploding Scorbord**
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM
HomeFish HomeFish is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 6,614
Default

That sounds cool. I visited Cincinnati in the dead of winter and now regret not stopping by the ballpark to see that facility. Everyone has a radar gun, I've never heard of an actual pitching mound before.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM
PaleHoser PaleHoser is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,336
Default

I miss the Hall of Fame the Sox used to have in the ballpark. I'd give a lot for a copy of the color picture they had of Comiskey Park with the Chesterfield scoreboard they had on display there.

But I guess selling merchandise is more important.
__________________
"It's not the high price of stardom that bothers me...it's the high price of mediocrity." - Bill Veeck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,338
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I miss the Hall of Fame the Sox used to have in the ballpark. I'd give a lot for a copy of the color picture they had of Comiskey Park with the Chesterfield scoreboard they had on display there.

But I guess selling merchandise is more important.

Agreed. I think it's a shame that they eliminated the HOF. I believe a lot of the items from the old HOF was moved to the Scout Seats area, but that's an area that 99% of fans will never see.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 15,792
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
And where’d your fastball top out? We might need you in the pen.
I THINK I hit 65, which was very good for me.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,662
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
That sounds cool. I visited Cincinnati in the dead of winter and now regret not stopping by the ballpark to see that facility. Everyone has a radar gun, I've never heard of an actual pitching mound before.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
What other sites are must-see for Cincy other than stopping for chili?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM
thomas35forever's Avatar
thomas35forever thomas35forever is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lombard
Posts: 26,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
What other sites are must-see for Cincy other than stopping for chili?
Before I first went there a couple of years ago, Moerlein Lager House was recommended to me by another post on here. I went back there a second time when I saw the Bears there in December. Not much else I can recommend because honestly, there isn't a whole lot compared to a city like Chicago.


I ended up with two bobbleheads from the Hall of Fame, neither of which I've opened yet. Definitely a must-visit if you're a baseball fan.
__________________
Consistency lost
If found, please return to 333 W. 35th Street, Chicago. Generous reward offered.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM
soxfanreggie soxfanreggie is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Normal, IL/Sarasota, FL
Posts: 11,981
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I THINK I hit 65, which was very good for me.
If you can mix in a knuckler and Eephus Ball, we could probably use you come August.

Sounds like and looks like they did a nice job with their Hall. I’m sad the Sox did away with theirs. It seemed all about the money with extra sales space.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 PM
insp insp is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
Just returned from a couple of days in Cincinnati, where I visited the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. If you haven't been there, here are some drool-worthy images:

https://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-...ame-and-museum

This was an amazing experience, and makes me think why the Sox ditched theirs over a decade ago. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to build something similar opposite the Depot on the north parking ramp, and using the Old Comiskey home plate as a focal point inside the building.

It's a big shame management hasn't thought of something as significant for a team with such a long history.

It may be a team with a long history, but its not a terribly successful history.

It would be best for the Sox to wait until the next time they win the World Series to set up a HOF.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2018, 04:56 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
One of the many reasons why I think the next ballpark for the Sox should be built downtown. Tourist dollars in any form is a plus.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM
IronFisk's Avatar
IronFisk IronFisk is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Clown Point, IN
Posts: 1,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
Yes true - but the Sox invested heavily in the Depot, and could keep open the ChiSox grill daily.

Thing is, the city gets tons of tourists, and there are many who like to seek out the locations of parks, either new or former. In Cinncy, there are several markers that signify the location of old Crosley Field. This includes the location of the bases, replica foul poles and even a light standard. A new mural also was painted on the site. Reds fans and baseball buffs visit the site daily.

This can be replicated for old Comiskey Park as well - give fans and tourists alike chance to relive history on the property where it happened. It does help that those who want to visit just have to hop off the Ryan - easy to access.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:01 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.