Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2018, 11:48 PM
WSI Personality

Default White Sox Museum & HOF?

Just returned from a couple of days in Cincinnati, where I visited the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. If you haven't been there, here are some drool-worthy images:

https://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-...ame-and-museum

This was an amazing experience, and makes me think why the Sox ditched theirs over a decade ago. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to build something similar opposite the Depot on the north parking ramp, and using the Old Comiskey home plate as a focal point inside the building.

It's a big shame management hasn't thought of something as significant for a team with such a long history.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:54 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

My wife had a conference in Cincinnati once and I tagged along with her. The Reds were out of town but the Hall of Fame was still open and since it was the middle of the week, no one was there. So I took that opportunity to throw a few innings on that mound they had set up in their Hall of Fame shop with the radar gun. It was a very productive use of my time.

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
My wife had a conference in Cincinnati once and I tagged along with her. The Reds were out of town but the Hall of Fame was still open and since it was the middle of the week, no one was there. So I took that opportunity to throw a few innings on that mound they had set up in their Hall of Fame shop with the radar gun. It was a very productive use of my time.
And where’d your fastball top out? We might need you in the pen.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:59 AM
WSI High Priest

That sounds cool. I visited Cincinnati in the dead of winter and now regret not stopping by the ballpark to see that facility. Everyone has a radar gun, I've never heard of an actual pitching mound before.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 06-11-2018, 09:20 AM
WSI Personality

I miss the Hall of Fame the Sox used to have in the ballpark. I'd give a lot for a copy of the color picture they had of Comiskey Park with the Chesterfield scoreboard they had on display there.

But I guess selling merchandise is more important.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post
I miss the Hall of Fame the Sox used to have in the ballpark. I'd give a lot for a copy of the color picture they had of Comiskey Park with the Chesterfield scoreboard they had on display there.

But I guess selling merchandise is more important.

Agreed. I think it's a shame that they eliminated the HOF. I believe a lot of the items from the old HOF was moved to the Scout Seats area, but that's an area that 99% of fans will never see.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
And where’d your fastball top out? We might need you in the pen.
I THINK I hit 65, which was very good for me.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
That sounds cool. I visited Cincinnati in the dead of winter and now regret not stopping by the ballpark to see that facility. Everyone has a radar gun, I've never heard of an actual pitching mound before.

Of course, the elephant in the room is that Cincy's ballpark is right downtown and tourists walk by it everyday while doing the standard Cincinnati itinerary. Anything you build on 35th street is not going to get the same amount of street traffic.
What other sites are must-see for Cincy other than stopping for chili?
Old 06-11-2018, 09:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
What other sites are must-see for Cincy other than stopping for chili?
Before I first went there a couple of years ago, Moerlein Lager House was recommended to me by another post on here. I went back there a second time when I saw the Bears there in December. Not much else I can recommend because honestly, there isn't a whole lot compared to a city like Chicago.

I ended up with two bobbleheads from the Hall of Fame, neither of which I've opened yet. Definitely a must-visit if you're a baseball fan.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
I THINK I hit 65, which was very good for me.
If you can mix in a knuckler and Eephus Ball, we could probably use you come August.

Sounds like and looks like they did a nice job with their Hall. I’m sad the Sox did away with theirs. It seemed all about the money with extra sales space.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:24 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronFisk View Post
Just returned from a couple of days in Cincinnati, where I visited the Reds Hall of Fame and Museum. If you haven't been there, here are some drool-worthy images:

https://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-...ame-and-museum

This was an amazing experience, and makes me think why the Sox ditched theirs over a decade ago. Seems like it would make a lot of sense to build something similar opposite the Depot on the north parking ramp, and using the Old Comiskey home plate as a focal point inside the building.

It's a big shame management hasn't thought of something as significant for a team with such a long history.

It may be a team with a long history, but its not a terribly successful history.

It would be best for the Sox to wait until the next time they win the World Series to set up a HOF.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:56 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
One of the many reasons why I think the next ballpark for the Sox should be built downtown. Tourist dollars in any form is a plus.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Yes true - but the Sox invested heavily in the Depot, and could keep open the ChiSox grill daily.

Thing is, the city gets tons of tourists, and there are many who like to seek out the locations of parks, either new or former. In Cinncy, there are several markers that signify the location of old Crosley Field. This includes the location of the bases, replica foul poles and even a light standard. A new mural also was painted on the site. Reds fans and baseball buffs visit the site daily.

This can be replicated for old Comiskey Park as well - give fans and tourists alike chance to relive history on the property where it happened. It does help that those who want to visit just have to hop off the Ryan - easy to access.