White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 08:49 AM
WSI High Priest

Has Machado had one major leg injury or two? My recollection is two, but I may be wrong. Baseball Reference needs to include this in their player profiles.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 12-20-2017, 09:33 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky F. Dent View Post
Has Machado had one major leg injury or two? My recollection is two, but I may be wrong. Baseball Reference needs to include this in their player profiles.
Try Google.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
This is the first time in my Sox fandom that I am actively hoping that the Sox DON'T get the big name they are after in a trade. I think giving up anything but guys who probably won't be prospects in a year or two makes zero sense for the Sox at this stage of their rebuild. The fact that Hahn MAY have contemplated giving up value for 1 year of Machado in a non-contending season is beyond asinine.
Agreed 100%.

Some are arguing the Sox can trade him at the deadline. What if he gets hurt or has an off year?
Old 12-20-2017, 10:08 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The fact that Hahn MAY have contemplated giving up value for 1 year of Machado in a non-contending season is beyond asinine.
If you listen/read to what was said about the situation, the front office never considered giving up top prospects for Machado as long as they weren't able to bargain a long term extension. The only other opportunity was acquiring him on the cheap and then flipping him for higher value prospects at the deadline. It's all speculation anyway.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-20-2017, 10:42 AM
WSI Guru

Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
#Orioles GM Dan Duquette just told @masnRoch regarding Machado trade discussions: “I’m not sure we’re going to focus on that much more after tomorrow.” Things always can change, but O’s clearly not satisfied with offers so far.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:45 AM
WSI Personality

not sure what this REALLY means...

http://mlb.nbcsports.com/2017/12/20/...ff-the-market/

Sox interest aside, the O's have an asset they can get something for. If they were 50/50 on a refresh/rebuild they need to move MM.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Ken Rosenthal
@Ken_Rosenthal
#Orioles GM Dan Duquette just told @masnRoch regarding Machado trade discussions: “I’m not sure we’re going to focus on that much more after tomorrow.” Things always can change, but O’s clearly not satisfied with offers so far.
I mean they can wait to see if someone panics at the deadline but the offers today are just as good as the offers in July.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:59 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
I mean they can wait to see if someone panics at the deadline but the offers today are just as good as the offers in July.

The problem with that is if baltimore is in the playoff hunt, it will be tough trading him at the deadline.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:16 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
The problem with that is if baltimore is in the playoff hunt, it will be tough trading him at the deadline.
This past season they were 4.5 (51-54) out of the 2nd WC but had just won 3 in a row. If something similar happens this year that would be such a tough call as to keep or deal him. Twins were 4.5 games out too and made the WC game.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:48 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock07 View Post
This past season they were 4.5 (51-54) out of the 2nd WC but had just won 3 in a row. If something similar happens this year that would be such a tough call as to keep or deal him. Twins were 4.5 games out too and made the WC game.
Thats why I think they have to do it before season starts.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
This is the first time in my Sox fandom that I am actively hoping that the Sox DON'T get the big name they are after in a trade. I think giving up anything but guys who probably won't be prospects in a year or two makes zero sense for the Sox at this stage of their rebuild. The fact that Hahn MAY have contemplated giving up value for 1 year of Machado in a non-contending season is beyond asinine.
And that's why I was saying earlier that Spencer Adams was as high up the prospect chain as I would be willing to go for Machado. If I thought getting Machado this year would be give me a leg up signing him next year then I would consider the trade worth something but it is that "leg up" that I would be trading for not the player himself. Consequently, I wouldn't trade much for that slight increase in my chance at signing him. I certainly would not trade anything close to his actual value as a player regardless of what Baltimore demanded or other teams offered. I'd walk away looooooooong before that.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:57 PM
WSI Guru

Machado is now apparently OFF the table:

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/s...91957992894464 #Orioles aren’t going to trade Machado - weren’t happy with the offers.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:14 PM
WSI High Priest

OK. Now we can move on and focus on more important moves, like finding takers for Abreu and Avi.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Not really, just pull a jeter.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 12-20-2017, 08:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Machado is now apparently OFF the table:

https://twitter.com/DanClarkSports/s...91957992894464 #Orioles aren’t going to trade Machado - weren’t happy with the offers.

Good. I think this is the best outcome for us.

At the very least we showed Manny that we had serious interest in him by willing to give up valuable assets for one year of service.

Now JR just has to avoid the Alex Rodriguez type low ball offer in Free Agency.