And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfourni View Post
I use the Rock Island line when I'm going to a game after work. When it first opened, they ran a special train 1/2 hour after the conclusion of each game. They eliminated that after year one because of low ridership. Now you're stuck with the regular train schedule. Problem with that on weeknights is your options are either 9:51 (have to leave early) or 11:21 (about an hour after final out). Because of that, not many people take the Metra. I wish Metra would consider pushing back the train that leaves LaSalle Street station until 10:00 pm (maybe just during the summer) to accommodate Sox fans, but I'm not sure what that would entail.

I think the Southwest service will eventually move over to the Rock Island tracks. It's been a priority of the congressman (Lipinski) for years. Because of that, and because Metra doesn't own the tracks that the SW line runs on, there likely won't be an additional station built for the SW line.
That's good info! Thank you!

So a scheduling fix, and moving Southwest Service over the RI line, would potentially serve more suburban Sox fans from the 35th/Lou Jones stop. That would be good news for Sox fans in the South and Southwest suburbs.

But it doesn't much help Sox fans in the West, Northwest and North suburbs. It seems like as the city - and commuter patterns - continue to change, more investments in interconnections between RTA and CTA lines at strategic locations, and more "reverse commute" trips that serve people who live in the city and work in the suburbs, would help mobility throughout the region, including getting suburban Sox fans to the park.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

So people here actually think they'd reconfigure Soldier Field for baseball. They have to take out the east seats so we can have a right field. We'd have a Column Monster, with the columns becoming part of the RF wall, which would be neat.

One can dream.
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:41 PM
WSI Personality

Default Amazon/White Sox Stadium?

Tomorrows Sunday Chicago Tribune has a rather interesting article about a potential new sports stadium in Chicago. The City of Chicago wants to include a new World Class and entertainment stadium in their proposal to Amazon. Its part of the proposal in trying to get Amazon to move its headquarters to Chicago. The stadium would border the Chicago river between Lincoln Park and Bucktown. If this stadium is actually going to get built the main tenant is either going to be the White Sox or Bears, or maybe both of them. I hope if the offer is made to the White Sox about this stadium, I hope JR doesn't blow this opportunity like he did the last time in the 1980s when he rejected a new stadium offer in the South Loop.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:31 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
Tomorrows Sunday Chicago Tribune has a rather interesting article about a potential new sports stadium in Chicago. The City of Chicago wants to include a new World Class and entertainment stadium in their proposal to Amazon. Its part of the proposal in trying to get Amazon to move its headquarters to Chicago. The stadium would border the Chicago river between Lincoln Park and Bucktown. If this stadium is actually going to get built the main tenant is either going to be the White Sox or Bears, or maybe both of them. I hope if the offer is made to the White Sox about this stadium, I hope JR doesn't blow this opportunity like he did the last time in the 1980s when he rejected a new stadium offer in the South Loop.
Anything's possible but I wouldn't hold my breath on Amazon moving their headquarters in the first place.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Please, no more dual purpose stadiums, we went through that with Riverfront, Three Rivers, Busch and all the other monstrosities from the 60s and 70s. There's a reason they were all torn down when not all that old.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Who pays for it?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-29-2017, 09:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Who pays for it?
The City of Chicago is trying to get Amazon to move to Chicago with their 50,000 jobs coming to Chicago. Evidently the new stadium is part of the economic package that the City of Chicago is offering. I have no idea where the money will come from to pay for the whole package.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:22 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:

For the sake of clarity, I highlighted above in green what is contained in the article.

In red, I highlighted conjecture by the poster. The rest of the post beginning with "I hope..." is clearly the poster's opinion.

Nowhere in that article does it state the Bears or Sox are being considered. The rendering doesn't look like a baseball stadium and certainly doesn't appear to meet NFL capacity requirements. It looks more like a soccer stadium/concert bandshell. Not to say design renderings can't be conceptual only, as they can be changed. Point being, the article doesn't state what the poster intimated. The extent of this discussion in the article is that the developer is supposedly "in discussions with professional sports leagues". That's quite vague. It could mean the NFL or MLB, but it could also mean MLS. We know the Cubs aren't moving and the Hawks/Bulls don't play outdoors.

Last edited by Brian26; 10-29-2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just some additional clarification, Amazon isn't "moving" their headquarters. They're building a second one. And, yes, I realize it doesn't really make sense to have two headquarters, but that's what they say they're doing.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:47 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
Just some additional clarification, Amazon isn't "moving" their headquarters. They're building a second one. And, yes, I realize it doesn't really make sense to have two headquarters, but that's what they say they're doing.
Cobra had both Cobra Island and Springfield.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-30-2017, 12:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The City of Chicago is trying to get Amazon to move to Chicago with their 50,000 jobs coming to Chicago. Evidently the new stadium is part of the economic package that the City of Chicago is offering. I have no idea where the money will come from to pay for the whole package.
This is not true at all. Amazon is looking for a city to open a 2nd headquarters. They are not moving the current headquarters or closing the current headquarters.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:20 PM
WSI 2017 Preseason Prediction Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
For the sake of clarity, I highlighted above in green what is contained in the article.

In red, I highlighted conjecture by the poster. The rest of the post beginning with "I hope..." is clearly the poster's opinion.

Nowhere in that article does it state the Bears or Sox are being considered. The rendering doesn't look like a baseball stadium and certainly doesn't appear to meet NFL capacity requirements. It looks more like a soccer stadium/concert bandshell. Not to say design renderings can't be conceptual only, as they can be changed. Point being, the article doesn't state what the poster intimated. The extent of this discussion in the article is that the developer is supposedly "in discussions with professional sports leagues". That's quite vague. It could mean the NFL or MLB, but it could also mean MLS. We know the Cubs aren't moving and the Hawks/Bulls don't play outdoors.
I'm not sure who created the renderings, but I'm pretty sure you could see Fire flags in the stands in the stadium. The Fire have a pretty tight lease in Bridgeview, though I'm not quite sure when that deal is up.

That said, a group has also registered trademarks for other soccer teams, as detailed HERE. Who exactly is behind that, I don't know.
11: 0-1.
12: 2-1.
14: 2-3.
15: 3-3.
16: 1-0.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

In my humble opinion, the South Loop is the best neighborhood in Chicago. The West Loop has turned into a happening area, too. It would be awesome if a new stadium could be built in either location. A West Loop ballpark would have the added benefit of literally gaining ground on the Cubs' physical turf and "isolating" them on the North Side.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:13 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
In my humble opinion, the South Loop is the best neighborhood in Chicago. The West Loop has turned into a happening area, too. It would be awesome if a new stadium could be built in either location. A West Loop ballpark would have the added benefit of literally gaining ground on the Cubs' physical turf and "isolating" them on the North Side.
White Sox Field at Union Park. There are plenty of reasons why this would be difficult to do, but man it would be perfect.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
White Sox Field at Union Park. There are plenty of reasons why this would be difficult to do, but man it would be perfect.
I like your thinking, but Jerry & Co. would have to jump on this right now. Jackhammers and cranes are everywhere, making the ground shake. That area is completely different from even 18 months ago.