And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2017, 12:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I agree they SHOULD be better, but I still don't personally think they are going to contend until 2020 at the earliest.
Outside of Cleveland, this is going to be a pretty ****ty division after this year.

Most, if not all of the current elite pitching prospects, with the exception of Dunning and Cease, should be here by then.

I think the Sox will be a factor in 2019.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHISOXFAN13 View Post
Outside of Cleveland, this is going to be a pretty ****ty division after this year.

Most, if not all of the current elite pitching prospects, with the exception of Dunning and Cease, should be here by then.

I think the Sox will be a factor in 2019.

Depends on what your definition of "factor" is. I think we should be a progression. Next year, I expect us to be a 5-10 pick. Still crap, but not 100 losses bad. Though, possible.

Because of all the pitching we have, and the timing, 2019 should at least be close to .500.

Our hitting will probably come in during the 2020 season, and that is where I expect us to begin contending overall.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Depends on what your definition of "factor" is. I think we should be a progression. Next year, I expect us to be a 5-10 pick. Still crap, but not 100 losses bad. Though, possible.

Because of all the pitching we have, and the timing, 2019 should at least be close to .500.

Our hitting will probably come in during the 2020 season, and that is where I expect us to begin contending overall.
Well nobody here knows if the Sox will be active in the very loaded 2019 free agent class.

If they do, and I expect them to be a player, that expedites this thing quickly.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:59 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
If they lose 130 games next year does it even matter? They aren't contending in 2018 anyway...they aren't contending in 2019.

It's frustrating to be sure, but that's why it is called a rebuild and if they are going to do something like that (which they have) don't do it half-assed...rebuild all the way...completely.

For now wins and losses don't really matter much save for the individual development of certain players who may be a bench piece in a few years.
Yeah doesn't matter about the record, only the development of our young guys.

However, don't assume we won't be good in '19. Way to early to see what that roster will look like. Our pitching could be pretty good then actually.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post

Pitching could be much improved by 2019- with so many of our prospects at the AA/AAA level, but other than (possibly) Jiminez, or the lesser prospects like Kordell and Gillaspie. all of our position player prospects are at A+ or lower, so I think 2020 is the earliest you start to see our holes at C, 3B and in the OF plugged by our talent in the system.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-04-2017, 01:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Remember however, that while the young talent will arrive in 2019 and 2020, they will be rookies and second year players. No matter how much talent and promise they have they will still have a lot of learning to do.

Free agent signings could change things dramatically of course. It did for the Cubs. Their rebuild was as much about the free agents they signed as it was about the kids coming up to play.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxNationPres View Post
Yeah doesn't matter about the record, only the development of our young guys.
I think some of the angst from some of the posters is the "embarrassment" factor and they are taking it personally.

"Oh my God, if they lose 120 games next year how can I show my face given that the Cubs are doing well..." things along those lines.

I'm reminded of the line from the Godfather, "it's nothing personal, just business..."

Besides the Sox franchise has embarrassed themselves plenty over the century plus they've been around...what's one more time?:
Old 08-04-2017, 03:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
A shame that A. Garcia, M. Davidson and W. Garcia all injured (along with Burdi, Gillaspie,Kordell at AAA, and Polo at AA)- would have been nice to see how they finished the season (not that they're out for the rest of the season).

But that pitching staff- other than Rodon and maybe Bummer, Goldberg, Hoiberg- who seem kind of interesting, what a hot mess that staff is.
Agree - Rodon and perhaps the Sox might find a back end bullpen piece or two from the din.
At this point, I would stockpile pitching. I just remember the achilles heel of Williams' 2001-2004 teams was the lack of a 5th starter and pen depth (and I'm still of the opinion that Williams is heavily involved, unless proven otherwise, and, to my mind, it hasn't been). Consistently thin on the mound.
And in the recent "go for it" years, they were going for it with Noesi and a hobbled Danks, backed by no pitching depth at all and by a terrible defense.
On the other hand, Leury and Davidson certainly look good enough to make a 25, if not start. Others would be better bench players that we had in go for it years.
They also might look to see how marketable Davidson might be...or Yolmer, etc.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Agree - Rodon and perhaps the Sox might find a back end bullpen piece or two from the din.
At this point, I would stockpile pitching. I just remember the achilles heel of Williams' 2001-2004 teams was the lack of a 5th starter and pen depth (and I'm still of the opinion that Williams is heavily involved, unless proven otherwise, and, to my mind, it hasn't been). Consistently thin on the mound.
And in the recent "go for it" years, they were going for it with Noesi and a hobbled Danks, backed by no pitching depth at all and by a terrible defense.
On the other hand, Leury and Davidson certainly look good enough to make a 25, if not start. Others would be better bench players that we had in go for it years.
They also might look to see how marketable Davidson might be...or Yolmer, etc.
Garcia 4-6 weeks is probably done or maybe play the last 2-3 weeks. Davidson really needs to pick it up and build for next season, he was slumping the last 30-40 games. Yolmer avg. is down but he's still an interesting utility player to me. Same with Garcia (L) I'd like to see us hold onto him. Rodon is starting to look like the dominant arm we all know he is.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
I think some of the angst from some of the posters is the "embarrassment" factor and they are taking it personally.

"Oh my God, if they lose 120 games next year how can I show my face given that the Cubs are doing well..." things along those lines.
I'll let those that feel that way, if any do, answer for themselves.

If the record is bad I can live with it only if I see the personal development of the players and improvement in the team.

BTW, who cares what the Cubbies do?

This isn't zero sum: if the White Sox do this right, and that's a big if, there will be fans at games.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 08-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:10 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Excellent point with saladino in front and smith behind. And why Abreu isnt pounding on management asking them to get him out of dodge baffles me.
He's not stupid and understands what is happening?
Old 08-05-2017, 11:55 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopaLoop View Post
He's not stupid and understands what is happening?
Baffling!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 08-05-2017, 12:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Baffling!
Extremely!
Old 08-05-2017, 12:32 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
BTW, who cares what the Cubbies do?
Based on a lot of posts, many apparently. Just go to the section about the Cubs. I'm one of them by the way because I still don't want to see the Sox shortchanged by the Cubs success.

However I'm fully on-board with the rebuild...if it takes three years or five years or ever if I'm not around to see the future success.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

I really don't care one way or the other about the Cubs.

I'm fully on board with the rebuild.

But I would still like to see some starters that can go at least 5 innings? Is that too much to ask?

It's painful to watch even if I am fully on board and busy watching minor league games at the same time.