Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM
WSI High Priest

Unsurprisingly, J.A. Happ cut through this lineup like a hot knife through butter.

28BF 104NP 7.0IP 6H 1R 1ER 1BB 10K
Old 08-02-2017, 06:20 PM
WSI Guru

Happ had 10 Ks today. That's the same total he had in his previous three starts *combined*.

Even by rebuilding standards, it's a bad lineup. Not much you can do, though, with A. Garcia on the DL and Moncada and Davidson both out of there with day-to-day injuries.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Happ had 10 Ks today. That's the same total he had in his previous three starts *combined*.

Even by rebuilding standards, it's a bad lineup. Not much you can do, though, with A. Garcia on the DL and Moncada and Davidson both out of there with day-to-day injuries.
Carrying 13 pitchers limits the options as well.

I don't think I have ever seen five middle infield bats together in one lineup before.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 PM
WSI Personality

Abreu is deeply invested in helping Moncada to be a successful major leaguer.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:28 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Excellent point with saladino in front and smith behind. And why Abreu isnt pounding on management asking them to get him out of dodge baffles me.
Maybe he should play better then.

He's having a good season, but not a great one.

He'd be smart to stick it out at least a few years.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:33 AM
WSI Personality

Default 2018 Pitching Staff

I think a better question would be, Is this one of the worst pitching staffs we have ever seen? Now that Hahn has traded off out best pitchers the team has now lost 20 of its last 24 games. The pitching staff keeps getting blasted game after game. I guess this is to be expected in this so called "rebuild". Still I can't help but wonder, is the 2018 White Sox pitching staff going to consist of Shields, Holland, Pelfrey and the rest of these guys who can't get anybody out? If this staff is brought back next season I have no doubt that this team could lose 130 games.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
Maybe he should play better then.

He's having a good season, but not a great one.

He'd be smart to stick it out at least a few years.
#6 OPS among AL starting 1st basemen- I'll take it.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM
WSI Prelate

Without a doubt, but I am weird, and am actually watching more games than I had in the previous four years.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM
WSI Prelate

But there are some young guys in this lineup that are keepers. They are not the core players but they certainly would be fine if surrounded by core players. It would've been a better lineup than we had when we were going for it if we had this kind of production of Davidson, Leury and others for bench, CF etc. The pitching staff however has one keeper.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:46 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
But there are some young guys in this lineup that are keepers. They are not the core players but they certainly would be fine if surrounded by core players. It would've been a better lineup than we had when we were going for it if we had this kind of production of Davidson, Leury and others for bench, CF etc. The pitching staff however has one keeper.
A shame that A. Garcia, M. Davidson and W. Garcia all injured (along with Burdi, Gillaspie,Kordell at AAA, and Polo at AA)- would have been nice to see how they finished the season (not that they're out for the rest of the season).

But that pitching staff- other than Rodon and maybe Bummer, Goldberg, Hoiberg- who seem kind of interesting, what a hot mess that staff is.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:16 AM
WSI Church Elder

For once I agree with GoldenSox... this particular line up was really weak. But it was weak due to some injured players being out.

But this pitching staff... OMG! LOL!

Rodon is the only real keeper. I like what I have seen of Bummer so far despite his getting hit some. Petricka is ok when healthy. A couple of the others guys might be borderline players but the rest are the kind of guys that fill the last bullpen or 5th starter spot on mediocre-to-bad teams... and we have a staff full of them.

I suspect the Sox will sign a few journeyman pitchers over the winter in the hope of being able to get through at least the 5th inning. Temporary expenditures until some of the younger guys arrive.

At least... I sure hope so.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:01 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
If this staff is brought back next season I have no doubt that this team could lose 130 games.
If they lose 130 games next year does it even matter? They aren't contending in 2018 anyway...they aren't contending in 2019.

It's frustrating to be sure, but that's why it is called a rebuild and if they are going to do something like that (which they have) don't do it half-assed...rebuild all the way...completely.

For now wins and losses don't really matter much save for the individual development of certain players who may be a bench piece in a few years.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:12 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
If they lose 130 games next year does it even matter? They aren't contending in 2018 anyway...they aren't contending in 2019.

It's frustrating to be sure, but that's why it is called a rebuild and if they are going to do something like that (which they have) don't do it half-assed...rebuild all the way...completely.

For now wins and losses don't really matter much save for the individual development of certain players who may be a bench piece in a few years.
2019 might have more of a chance at contending....or at least a heckuva lot better than the current product
Old 08-04-2017, 12:37 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelwonder View Post
2019 might have more of a chance at contending....or at least a heckuva lot better than the current product
I agree they SHOULD be better, but I still don't personally think they are going to contend until 2020 at the earliest.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post

Right. The only way I begin to get frustrated is either if we see that A. nothing is changing in 2019 or b. certain prospects begin to fail in the bigs or minors.

For instance, if Moncada, JImenez, Rutherford, etc begin to fail I will begin to believe that we have an organizational issue that no amount of prospects will solve.

These two points go hand in hand, obviously.