Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 03:29 PM
WSI Prelate

If Wentz or Allard was on the table for Colomé, passing on them was ill-advised. They both moved, and they both moved for relief pitching.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Disappointing day.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:48 PM
WSI Prelate

With no possibility of waiver trades, there is no reason whatsoever to keep Castillo or Jay on this roster. Put them both on release waivers. Let them try to latch on with a contender.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:59 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With no possibility of waiver trades, there is no reason whatsoever to keep Castillo or Jay on this roster. Put them both on release waivers. Let them try to latch on with a contender.
Agreed completely. Let’s see Robert and Collins in their place.

Give Madrigal a month at Charlotte, and then have him replace Yolmer in September.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

... so the White Sox can pay them to play for another team.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:39 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
If it frees up space to give at bats to guys like Madrigal and Collins why not?

Is there some rational reason to keep them on the team?

Why do YOU want them kept?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 PM
WSI High Priest

Today is the day I lost faith in Hahn.

This seems eternally doomed to be a half-assed organization making a half-assed effort.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-31-2019, 09:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
It appears that there were quite a few players that were thought to be on the block that didn't get moved so the Sox aren't remotely close to being alone. It's entirely possible if not likely that no one offered them anything of reasonable value for either Abreu or Colome.

I don't know why everyone seems intent on drawing conclusions absent any facts.
What is reasonable value for a 1-WAR 1B getting paid $5 million between now and October? I would have been happy with whatever they got back.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:13 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
As long as they’re not here.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
What is reasonable value for a 1-WAR 1B getting paid $5 million between now and October? I would have been happy with whatever they got back.
But leadership!!!!!!!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:39 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If it frees up space to give at bats to guys like Madrigal and Collins why not?

Is there some rational reason to keep them on the team?

Why do YOU want them kept?
You need a catcher if you are going to develop pitchers at the major league level, as the White Sox appear to be intent to do. Collins has a lot of room to develop as a catcher, and he struggled as a hitter during his recent callup. Catcher is a draining position, and you frequently need a backup catcher to start more frequently than backups at other positions. Castillo is better for your pitchers than Collins would be. Collins doesn't look like he's reached the point where major league at bats will help his development, and he still needs work behind the plate. He might get a September callup, but it would be pointless to bring him up as your second catcher in August, barring some sort of injury that forces it.

Jay is actually having a decent offensive season, by current White Sox standards anyway. He is above average in the outfield, by current White Sox standards. As an outfielder, he isn't taking at bats away from Madrigal.

If you are looking for Collins or Madrigal to DH to get at bats, you could release Reed. That wouldn't be such a bad baseball decision.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:47 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
You need a catcher if you are going to develop pitchers at the major league level, as the White Sox appear to be intent to do. Collins has a lot of room to develop as a catcher, and he struggled as a hitter during his recent callup. Catcher is a draining position, and you frequently need a backup catcher to start more frequently than backups at other positions. Castillo is better for your pitchers than Collins would be. Collins doesn't look like he's reached the point where major league at bats will help his development, and he still needs work behind the plate. He might get a September callup, but it would be pointless to bring him up as your second catcher in August, barring some sort of injury that forces it.

Jay is actually having a decent offensive season, by current White Sox standards anyway. He is above average in the outfield, by current White Sox standards. As an outfielder, he isn't taking at bats away from Madrigal.

If you are looking for Collins or Madrigal to DH to get at bats, you could release Reed. That wouldn't be such a bad baseball decision.
Why is it pointless to give Collins extra reps as a catcher in August at the MLB level? He's splitting catching duties three ways in Charlotte presently.

I don't as much care about Jay. I don't want Robert called up until next April after the deadline personally. So the OF position is less important to me. I agree Jay isn't blocking anyone other than Robert and if they aren't going to call up Robert it doesn't matter who plays in the OF this season, more so if they plan to keep Eloy out there the rest of the year, which I am in favor of.

I think Mercedes comes up in September either way. I expect Collins sooner.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:48 PM
WSI Prelate

Yeah, Jon Jay is a big pile of suck defensively. -8 Defensive Runs Saved so far.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yeah, Jon Jay is a big pile of suck defensively. -8 Defensive Runs Saved so far.

He's not so bad by current White Sox standards. And it's only going to get worse as more prospects are integrated into every day positions.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
They got live baseball players for Nate Jones. They could have gotten some minor leaguers for Abreu and there is absolutely nothing of value we get from having Abreu here through September. And the Sox would still be able to re-sign him for 2020 after the World Series, which he might have gotten a chance to play in.

Reasonable people can disagree about McCann, Abreu, Bummer (I would have traded all but Bummer for whatever I could get)...but not trading Colome is criminal.