Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Dahl was sitting in my section Thursday night and I had a chance to talk with him regarding the in-retrospect racist claims. "You can't prove what didn't happen," he said. He was in good spirits. Sox fans treated him great in the section and he took many pictures with them. I listened to the guy on the radio for decades and never heard anything racist from him.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Dahl was sitting in my section Thursday night and I had a chance to talk with him regarding the in-retrospect racist claims. "You can't prove what didn't happen," he said. He was in good spirits. Sox fans treated him great in the section and he took many pictures with them. I listened to the guy on the radio for decades and never heard anything racist from him.
Myself and my father have personally interacted with him over the years involving the events of Disco Demolition Night and he has always been extremely friendly and grateful. I even attended the 25th anniversary party and he was extremely friendly and introduced me to a lot of different people at the event.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I lived in Minnesota from 1980-1987 which, for the record, started one year after Disco Demolition.

I was up there for school from 80-84 and hung around from 84-87.

I was as obnoxious of a White Sox and Bears fan (this was pre-Timberwolves, so the NBA was not on their radar and the North Stars were pretty good) as you could find. Not once did someone mention Disco Demolition to me as a reason why the White Sox were worthless scum. It was if the event never took place 450 miles to the south.....
I didn't read TDog's long post but in general I've seen that it's difficult for people who have lived far away from here for many years and who rarely make it back to keep a finger on the pulse of a dynamic place like Chicago. I live here and it still isn't easy! You certainly can't do it by reading the Trib or ST first page to last page. Or any other publication, for that matter.

The game was fine. An older, wiser, slower Steve Dahl was interviewed on-field before the game and threw out the first pitch. The medium-size giveaway tee shirts were, as usual, seen on many little kids -- whose parents were too young to recall 1979. To criticize the Sox for this promo based on notions of who was marginalized in 1979 (not the Bees Gees and Rod Stewart, who were prime targets as noted in this thread) is of course people's right.

I look forward to the Trib digging up and amplifying some social media criticism finding a way to trash the Sox for House Music Night in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 06-16-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernam View Post
If 40,000 people rioted after blowing up a bunch of punk records I loved, the thought that they might have a beef with me personally would almost certainly cross my mind.
As you were there you surely know that all 40,000 people in attendance did not riot. I don't think that you meant to exaggerate but it doesn't serve the discussion well.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 06-16-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Regardless of if that's what he intended it would be easy to see how some people might have interpreted it that way or it grew into that. I don't want this to get political but there would be ample reason to read between the lines on some of this and clearly see that some of the anti-disco fanboys might have actually been anti-disco because of the people who listened to it first.

There are actually undertones of this in the Saturday Night Fever movie where Travolta clashes with his old-school father about the dancing.

Regardless of how any of us view it or remember it, the simple fact is it's not hard to see why people feel this way. As someone pointed out above, if the Sox had blown up a huge stack of punk records they might have interpreted it as an attack on them and their culture personally and if the Sox wanted to celebrate it 40 years later it would have reopened those same wounds.

I do think for most people in America the event is one of those mostly humorous cultural phenomena that will live for a long time time. Some diehard Sox fans obviously still feel differently, but for the rest it's just a humorous anecdote.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-16-2019, 12:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post

...I'm not a disco fan. I tell people I resent the fact that disco was popular during my college years, but I hate country music even more. Attacking country music in this country can get one in a lot more trouble on social media than attacking disco. It's not being too sensitive if you're in the majority. As much as I would have supported blowing up country records, I wouldn't demean the people attacking the celebration of the anniversary of such a thing and I wouldn't want the anniversary of such a baseball promotion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
...As someone pointed out above, if the Sox had blown up a huge stack of punk records they might have interpreted it as an attack on them and their culture personally and if the Sox wanted to celebrate it 40 years later it would have reopened those same wounds.
Yup. People didnít just pluck this out of thin air to find beef with. And the gripe isnít just that the Sox did this in the first place (when I would have a very hard time believing that no one associated with the Sox had a clue that the event could go bad... not this bad, of course, but still), but that, upon reflection, they thought it might be worthy of celebration, as sincerely light-hearted as the intent seems to be.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-16-2019, 02:46 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
As you were there you surely know that all 40,000 people in attendance did not riot. I don't think that you meant to exaggerate but it doesn't serve the discussion well.
I'm nitpicking on this, but he said "40,000", not "all 40,000". There are claims that there were 55,000+ people in the park that night (and another 10-20,000 on the outside trying to get in). People were in the aisles and on the ramps after jumping the walls. So, he may not be incorrect. 40,000 rioted and 15,000 stayed in their seats.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
I believe my radio was tuned to AM 1000 every day from 6am until midnight between 1987 and 1992. I don't think Steve was ever hateful and racist in anyway. One of his best buddies was Marcus. I will say when you look back within the context of the time, there were some bits that would not (and could not) see the light of day today. The Blackie the Elf stuff, Cliff and his Boyquarium, Tyrone the Traffic Reporter. I'm not sure you could do that in today's hypersensitive environment. But again you're judging something from 1987 by 2019 standards, which gets messy. Dahl matured and changed his act, similar to Stern. It's a different show. Not the biggest fan, and there's some revisionist history on his part about his Sox fandom. He was pretty ****ty to them in the 80s until they welcomed him back in 1990.

We've got an exciting team to focus on, so glad this seems to be blowing over.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Wow- about as hyperbolic as it gets on this topic.

A goofy late 70's Dj for a rock and roll music station started an "anti-disco" bit on his program (along with a parody of a horrible Rod Stewart song- "Do You Think I'm Sexy"). A franchise known for wacky promotions incorporated this bit into a promotion of getting into a game for $0.98 (WLUP- 98 FM) if you brought a a disco record to be "demolished". That promotion exceeded all expectations, the crowd got out of hand and the team had to forfeit a meaningless 2nd game of a twi-night doubleheader.

40 years ago.

Cry me a river- there was no hate involved, I have yet to meet a single fan in the 5 different states I've lived in (IL, MI, WI, VA, CA) who ever gave a ****- other than being interested in hearing my story of what it was like to be there.

People are embarrassed by a promotion 40 years ago that got out of hand- fine. But the rest of this is just so much over reaction, yelling at clouds bull****.

I'm always 100% proud that the White Sox are my team- and that includes the 1919 Black Sox, the astro turf infield, the joke uniforms of the Veeck era, Disco Demolition, and every other unique, quirky aspect of my team.

If I'm embarrassed about anything- it's my owner's role in the 1994 strike and the lost season- but I'm finally getting over that piece of our history.

I sympathize with the hatred of disco. I had car trouble in Winslow, Arizona, a few months before Disco Demolition and thought I would be able to Take it Easy. I walked to the corner near my motel where there was something called the Pizza Pub. White I was waiting for my take out order, large men and blonde women streamed inside and went to the other side of a wall which I assumed separated the dining area from the order area. On the other side of the building, there seemed to be a juke box with only two selections -- Do You Think I'm Sexy? and I Want to Kill You All Over. While I was waiting at the GM dealership the next day for the service department to replace my blown rotar, I found the country music just as irritating, but I get the hatred of disco.

If it were a radio station changing formats, it might have been considered a goofy promotion to make the public aware of a format change that went horribly wrong. But it was the White Sox brought in a wild, passionate crowd, not for the baseball but to blow up disco records on the the field. Trouble was brewing and they still blew up the records on the field, as if that isn't going to cause any problems for the second game of the doubleheader.

People have held up to me Disco Demolition as an example of White Sox incompetence in Arizona, Wisconsin, Alaska and California. I have only lived near Nevada, but I was informed by an older gentleman helping me put my books in my car, which has a White Sox license plate bracket, that I really should be a Cubs fan and he managed to work Disco Demolition into the exchange.

When I was growing up in Munster, Indiana, I went to a lot of Sox promotions. Long before the bobbleheads, there were the crazy comb nights, the photo mug nights, bat days when they still gave away actual full-size bats. There was batting gloves for the boys, scarves for the girls on day in 1971 when the Sox came from behind to beat the Indians on a two-out Jay Johnstone bases loaded walk. I went to farm night where everyone 14 and over got a tree, albeit a little one with its roots bagged, and those of us who got there earlier enough could see players from Sox farm teams play a couple of innings. It was the first time I had ever seen Mike Squires, and I thought he was too small to ever be an effective major league first baseman.

Marketing with promotions has a component of rewarding people who go to the games, but mostly bringing in people who otherwise wouldn't go, hopefully inspiring them to come to more games. It doesn't always work out that way. I've gone to more than one Sox-A's game where I see people getting off the BART at Castro Valley and Bay Fair with the game's giveaway long before game time. Still, nothing about Disco Demolition lines up with the purpose of baseball promotions. Disco Demolition promised destruction of records in an explosion that you could see for less than a dollar, between games of the doubleheader. What could go wrong?

When I was working with a news wire, I would see Disco Demolition come up in stories. Comedy Central did a segment on Disco Demolition on Drunk History. It really was an indefensible promotion that was badly handled by the White Sox, an institution that was supposed to be about baseball. It was comically wrong, probably something the commissioner wouldn't allow today. It was a bad idea badly executed by people whose inability to see the consequences brought into question their inability to run a baseball team.

The fact that it offends a few people is unfortunate because a baseball team shouldn't be offending people. When Ozzie Guillen said things that offended people, it was treated more seriously. Offending people is only a nuisance to be ignored if the offended are in the minority and don't have the perceived right of the majority on their side. Regardless, this isn't about social media.

Disco Demolition is about a stupid promotion set up by an incompetent ownership that let it spin out of control and has since made the White Sox an object of ridicule. White Sox fans have to understand why it remains a humiliation for the franchise. It isn't uncommon here for posters to recall bad managerial decisions made years ago. When I went to Sox games in the 1970s, people were still complaining to me about mistakes mistakes Paul LaPalme (even if they couldn't remember the pitcher's name) and Norm Cash made in the 1950s, and such on-field mistakes didn't incite riots.

White Sox fans celebrating it come off as jerks. Celebrating the anniversary of Disco Demotion wouldn't be so different from the Red celebrating Marge Schott with a promotion because in spite of everything else, she did some good things.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
I'm nitpicking on this, but he said "40,000", not "all 40,000". There are claims that there were 55,000+ people in the park that night (and another 10-20,000 on the outside trying to get in). People were in the aisles and on the ramps after jumping the walls. So, he may not be incorrect. 40,000 rioted and 15,000 stayed in their seats.
Nah. I know plenty of people who were there. Staying in your seats was not the sole alternative to rioting. Some people made their way out of the park, or tried to. Some stood there aghast -- several of them have posted in this thread. And so on.

Were some people there in 1979 jerks? Sure. Was everyone at the ballpark, as I was, this past Thursday a jerk, or did they come off a jerk? Absolutely not.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
An inexact expression on my part, mea culpa. Let's go with "a not insignificant portion of 40,000 people," one of whom definitely was not me.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:28 PM
WSI Church Elder

Thanks for the clarification, Vernam, and you were never under suspicion! And thanks for all who kept this discussion respectful.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 06-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Vernam, and you were never under suspicion! And thanks for all who kept this discussion respectful.
Likewise! And I didn't feel accused at all.

To hopefully bring some humor -- and in the interests of full disclosure -- my recollection had long been that my buddy and I ended up on the field against our wills. My faulty memory does not allow as to how we were sitting in the golden boxes, as admittedly it is unlikely that 98 cents got us down there. Anyway, I always rationalized that the swarm of stoners left us no choice other than fleeing to safe ground in between the lines. Flimsy, I must admit.

But some footage shown during one of the recent anniversaries kind of bore this out. it looked like an irresistible wave of humanity heading onto the field of play. That's my story, at any rate. ;)

To press my luck further here, among much other regrettable foolishness of youth, back then I thought I was too cool for a whole lot of music that now means a lot to me, including Cheap Trick, ELO, and even the Bee Gees. As somebody once said, I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.
Old 06-16-2019, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Saw Cheap Trick Thursday night here. Robin still has his whole voice. Great fun.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
Saw Cheap Trick Thursday night here. Robin still has his whole voice. Great fun.
So true, the guy can do no wrong. Glad I woke up about them.
Closed Thread