Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
I admit I hadn't considered the bad side to the Disco Sucks movement, but I disagree with you because it's been long enough where we should be able to laugh at ourselves about it. What a moment...
Why should I laugh about it, I wasn't there acting like an idiot.
15,000 out of the 50,000+ there that night were real Sox fans as that was an average crowd for a weeknight game back then. The other 35,000 probably didn't even know where Comiskey Park was until they somehow got directions. I'll never forget turning on the TV that night and seeing the park packed to the rafters and asked myself what the hell is going on tonight, I had no idea about the promotion as I never listened to Dahl on the radio and actually never even heard of him, I was more of a disco fan and liked Saturday Night Fever. Long live Donna Summers and the Bee Gees.
I was never a big fan of Bill Veeck but I felt so sorry for him when he went on the field and asked the so called fans to return to their seats.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 06-12-2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:03 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Why should I laugh about it, I wasn't there acting like an idiot.
15,000 out of the 50,000+ there that night were real Sox fans as that was an average crowd for a weeknight game back then. The other 35,000 probably didn't even know where Comiskey Park was until they somehow got directions. I'll never forget turning on the TV that night and seeing the park packed to the rafters and asked myself what the hell is going on tonight, I had no idea about the promotion as I never listened to Dahl on the radio and actually never even heard of him, I was more of a disco fan and liked Saturday Night Fever. Long live Donna Summers and the Bee Gees.
I was never a big fan of Bill Veeck but I felt so sorry for him when he went on the field and asked the so called fans to return to their seats.
I understand, but it was 40 years ago. No one got killed. The Sox forfeited a game. In the grand scheme of things that's a really minor thing. I guess everyone looks at these things from their own perspective, but for me all I can do is shake my head and laugh.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-12-2019, 07:38 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Someone I work with was actually talking about how angry they were that the Sox were commemorating Disco Demolition because of the darker elements that are tricky to discuss here. Richard Roeper addressed some of those issues in his book "Sox and the City."

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
1. Leave it to the Tribune to blow up a small number of whiners into a protest movement.
2. I was at Disco Demolition Night. It was nowhere near a "dark and disgraceful" night in White Sox history. This is the same team that once threw the World Series.
Thank you!

I was there as well- it was a classic, late 70's party that got out of hand (like the parties I threw when my parents went away in high school).

It's not some dark, horrible thing- it's a crazy convergence of events that created a historic event for one of the quirkiest, unique franchises in all of professional sports.

The White Sox should embrace all of the unique quirks in their history and stop whitewashing it and becoming some boring, generic, 2nd tier franchise.

I've heard the interpretations that "anti-disco" = "anti-gay"- I was a junior in high school at the time, so maybe not clued into everything- but we despised disco because of the lame music and could not embrace the silk shirts, disco outfits, hair styles and everything else about it- never entered out minds about the gay aspect.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
By Steve Goodman, probably. And donít forget a play. There would be a play.

I agree that it would e embraced. While it isnít TOO comparable, the Bleacher Bums in 1969 are celebrated in prose and poetry for their rowdy jerk behavior.
I sat next to Steve in the Cubs bleachers once, very friendly and open. Of course he'd have written the song. And I still like some disco. Like the Bee Gees and Abba were victims of racism and homophobia. Voulez Vous!
Old 06-12-2019, 08:12 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Thank you!

I was there as well- it was a classic, late 70's party that got out of hand (like the parties I threw when my parents went away in high school).

It's not some dark, horrible thing- it's a crazy convergence of events that created a historic event for one of the quirkiest, unique franchises in all of professional sports.

The White Sox should embrace all of the unique quirks in their history and stop whitewashing it and becoming some boring, generic, 2nd tier franchise.

I've heard the interpretations that "anti-disco" = "anti-gay"- I was a junior in high school at the time, so maybe not clued into everything- but we despised disco because of the lame music and could not embrace the silk shirts, disco outfits, hair styles and everything else about it- never entered out minds about the gay aspect.
Yea, I always thought that a lot of the reaction against disco was more a reaction against the sort of phoniness and pomp of it and places like Studio 54. I thought that punk rock was a reaction against the aesthetics of disco too.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Only in 2019 would we reexamine history to find a bunch of people in bell bottoms and tube tops contributing to the 'dark elements' of a fringe of historians' view on what caused the sox to destroy disco. Next I'm going to find out that Stallone didn't end communism in Rocky IV
Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
Yep. This is what the White Sox, with all their history choose to promote?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Look, this was not something the Sox should be ashamed of. There were no anti-this group or anti-that group undertones in the anti-disco movement. I know, I was alive back then.

The Indians had Nickle Beer Night which was also a "disaster." Why don't we go after them for it? Every team has, at one time or another, tried an innovate promotion that did not work out as planned.

The only disaster the Sox engaged in was the Black Sox scandal. That was corruption. Everything else was mere entertainment.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:48 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
The Indians had Nickle Beer Night which was also a "disaster." Why don't we go after them for it?
Are the Indians promoting a 10-cent Beer Night promotional t-shirt this season?

Actually, here is the solution. The Sox should ditch the Disco Demolition shirts and instead print up 10,000 "10-Cent Beer Night" Shirts, sponsored by the Village of Bedford Park. That would be great. Make fun of Cleveland through a fan giveaway. And, on the same night, they could have "Disco Demolition T-shirt Demolition" where they burn the 10,000 brown Disco Demolition t-shirts sponsored by the Village of Bedford Park.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Are the Indians promoting a 10-cent Beer Night promotional t-shirt this season?

Actually, here is the solution. The Sox should ditch the Disco Demolition shirts and instead print up 10,000 "10-Cent Beer Night" Shirts, sponsored by the Village of Bedford Park. That would be great. Make fun of Cleveland through a fan giveaway. And, on the same night, they could have "Disco Demolition T-shirt Demolition" where they burn the 10,000 brown Disco Demolition t-shirts sponsored by the Village of Bedford Park.
Is Disco Demolition a source of pride? Is it something the association the White Sox want to make with the team?

Any time anyone brings up Disco Demolition Night, I think of 10-Cent Beer Night. I'm surprised people don't remember the latter while they are running out the former as one of the reasons they hate the White Sox.

I was in Tucson the summer of 1979 and heard about Disco Demolition on the radio. I've been hearing people bring it up ever since, when they see I'm a White Sox fan, right before they ask me why I'm not a Cubs fan. They don't think there is anything cute or fun about it. It always comes up as a reason people should hate the White Sox. Inciting a riot between games of a doubleheader that renders the field unplayable for the second game isn't as bad as players on your team taking money to lose the World Series. Whether it's worse than creating conditions for a riot through overserving beer at a heavily reduced price, leading to a forfeited game is a value judgement, but I would consider the Cleveland team logo a greater affront to humanity.

I don't think anyone can defend Disco Demolition Night, although they can excuse it to varying degrees. Celebrating something that the world believes is something baseball shouldn't be seems more like something that would happen if the team had moved to Florida.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I think some people are just looking to get offended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
Only in 2019 would we reexamine history to find a bunch of people in bell bottoms and tube tops contributing to the 'dark elements' of a fringe of historians' view on what caused the sox to destroy disco. Next I'm going to find out that Stallone didn't end communism in Rocky IV
Seriously. In a world with Twitter, the outrage machine is always in high gear. So, people hated disco because they were racists and homophobes? I have never heard this suggestion until today.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Look, this was not something the Sox should be ashamed of. There were no anti-this group or anti-that group undertones in the anti-disco movement. I know, I was alive back then.

The Indians had Nickle Beer Night which was also a "disaster." Why don't we go after them for it? Every team has, at one time or another, tried an innovate promotion that did not work out as planned.

The only disaster the Sox engaged in was the Black Sox scandal. That was corruption. Everything else was mere entertainment.
We do.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-12-2019, 11:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
1. Leave it to the Tribune to blow up a small number of whiners into a protest movement.
2. I was at Disco Demolition Night. It was nowhere near a "dark and disgraceful" night in White Sox history. This is the same team that once threw the World Series.
I want to preface by saying that I'm not doubting you whatsoever--I was born in 1989 so I have no firsthand knowledge of it, but I've always found it really interesting and would be interested in hearing from anyone who remembers the event. The story I've always heard was that a lot of...lets call them "non-baseball fans" took over the stadium and started what was described as a riot. Was it that crazy, or was it misrepresented?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 AM
WSI Regular

I remember this fondly - itís a time stamp thatís unique to 1979 like Woodstock was ten years before. Remember - the drinking age was still 19 and they didnít really card anybody. Lots of partying going on at the old park. If you were semi-discreet it was pretty easy to smoke a joint or one hitter more or less openly. They had big rock concerts at the park that were pretty debaucherous. Most who participated in this ended up as normal tax paying citizens with kids and now grandkids. Fun time coming of age in that era, I was 17.
Closed Thread