White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:45 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 7,159
Default Backlash against Sox Disco Demolition T-shirt

The Sox are commemorating the anniversary of Disco Demolition Night by giving away a t-shirt to the first 10,00 fans at tomorrow's game. Apparently, some people are unhappy with the promotion because being "anti-disco" also means being anti-something I had never ever considered. Sounds like because of the twitter storm that followed, the Sox are re-thinking the promotion. Link below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...612-story.html
__________________

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
  #2  
Old 06-12-2019, 03:53 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 11,272
Default

I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.
  #3  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:14 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,268
Default

1. Leave it to the Tribune to blow up a small number of whiners into a protest movement.
2. I was at Disco Demolition Night. It was nowhere near a "dark and disgraceful" night in White Sox history. This is the same team that once threw the World Series.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
  #4  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:15 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 16,236
Default

Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.

I honestly rolled my eyes reading the article. Like it or not, "Disco Demolition" was a historic moment for this franchise. I see no problem with giving away a promotional t-shirt to the first 10,000 fans that show up. Do we even have 10,000 fans? There is literally zero things I can find offensive with the below t-shirt aside from it being a **** brown that I personally would never wear:

Link
__________________

Last edited by JermaineDye05; 06-12-2019 at 04:21 PM.
  #5  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:19 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,268
Default

We don't know who really is behind the Tweets. Could be some Cub fans who want to cause problems for the Sox.
  #6  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.
Disco still lives at Wrigley!
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
  #7  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:22 PM
JermaineDye05 JermaineDye05 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Colorado Springs
Posts: 16,236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Disco still lives at Wrigley!
Now, this is a shirt I wouldn't mind wearing.
  #8  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:41 PM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 9,140
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
While I wouldn't say it was dark and disgraceful, it definitely was not a moment in Sox history worthy of celebration. No need to promote the eventual mayhem and forfeiture of the game.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
  #9  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:49 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.

I honestly rolled my eyes reading the article. Like it or not, "Disco Demolition" was a historic moment for this franchise. I see no problem with giving away a promotional t-shirt to the first 10,000 fans that show up. Do we even have 10,000 fans? There is literally zero things I can find offensive with the below t-shirt aside from it being a **** brown that I personally would never wear:

Link
There'd probably be some folk song about the event out there that gets Cubs fans and the media all teary-eyed if this had happened at Wrigley.
  #10  
Old 06-12-2019, 04:55 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,894
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Being totally honest, I was a bit surprised that they were embracing this and commemorating it with a T-shirt. It is factual that they havenít really recognized it in team history and really have tried to erase it. Perhaps rightfully so. The event is rather embarrassing when you consider the total fail in terms of preparation, security, promotional awareness. Field destroyed, forfeited a game, owner on the house mic on the field begging people to leave while they dance around him. I mean, really?

I guess theyíre running out of T-shirt designs for Bedford Park.
  #11  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,261
Default

Baseball is a kid's game. It's not making light of some serious, dark, chapter in our nation's history - it was just a dumb and ill-conceived promotion that went horribly wrong. Kind of a real-life WKRP/Thanksgiving promotion.

Lighten up, Francis.
  #12  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:08 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,261
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
Honest Question: Would the Cubs receive any sort of backlash had they done a similar promotion? I seriously doubt it, though I could be wrong.

I honestly rolled my eyes reading the article. Like it or not, "Disco Demolition" was a historic moment for this franchise. I see no problem with giving away a promotional t-shirt to the first 10,000 fans that show up. Do we even have 10,000 fans? There is literally zero things I can find offensive with the below t-shirt aside from it being a **** brown that I personally would never wear:

Link
Love the logo but agree that the color wasn't a great choice.
  #13  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:34 PM
TommyJohn TommyJohn is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,918
Blog Entries: 384
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
There'd probably be some folk song about the event out there that gets Cubs fans and the media all teary-eyed if this had happened at Wrigley.
By Steve Goodman, probably. And donít forget a play. There would be a play.

I agree that it would e embraced. While it isnít TOO comparable, the Bleacher Bums in 1969 are celebrated in prose and poetry for their rowdy jerk behavior.
  #14  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:09 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 58,487
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I have a problem with it because they are commemorating a dark and disgraceful night in White Sox history, we had to ****ing forfeit the second game of the double header because of one of the dumbest promotions in MLB history.
I admit I hadn't considered the bad side to the Disco Sucks movement, but I disagree with you because it's been long enough where we should be able to laugh at ourselves about it. What a moment...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #15  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:29 PM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,191
Default

I think some people are just looking to get offended.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.