White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2018, 12:10 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Looking ahead to the Arizona Fall League

Now is as good a time as any to debate the relative merits of who the Sox should send to the Arizona Fall League. Here are the rules:

Each Major League organization is required to provide six players subject to the following requirements:

All Triple-A and Double-A players are eligible, provided the players are on at least a Double-A level roster no later than Aug. 1.

One player below the Double-A level is allowed per Major League team.

One foreign player is allowed, as long as the player does not reside in a country that participates in winter ball, as part of the Caribbean Confederation or the Australian winter league.

No players with more than one year of credited Major League service as of August 31 are eligible, except a team may select one player picked in the most recently concluded Major League Rule 5 Draft.

To be eligible, players on Minor League disabled lists must be activated at least 45 days before the conclusion of their respective seasons.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:16 PM
WSI Prelate

I love the AFL, but also realize the results should be taken with a huge grain of salt. Engel and Covey are some prime examples.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:17 PM
WSI Church Elder

Assuming Robert is our sub-AA representative, who else are we going to see? Burdi for sure, maybe Hansen and Dunning for some rehab reps? Basabe? Should be interesting to follow.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
Assuming Robert is our sub-AA representative, who else are we going to see? Burdi for sure, maybe Hansen and Dunning for some rehab reps? Basabe? Should be interesting to follow.
I would love to send Robert to AFL. Is he now considered a US resident, or would he be ineligible because he officially resides in a country that has a Fall/Winter league?

I also would love to send Hansen, but is he now ineligible because heís with Winston-Salem?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
I would love to send Robert to AFL. Is he now considered a US resident, or would he be ineligible because he officially resides in a country that has a Fall/Winter league?

I also would love to send Hansen, but is he now ineligible because heís with Winston-Salem?
Not sure about all the details- but they may want to use their "<AA" slot for Hansen, while Robert plays in a different Winter League (if he's not considered at US Resident).

For the other 5 slots- Cordell, Burdi, Dunning(depending on health) could be candidates, maybe Polo.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Send the Knights who have a legitimate shot of opening 2019 in the majors. They would benefit the most from one last tune-up.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Send the Knights who have a legitimate shot of opening 2019 in the majors. They would benefit the most from one last tune-up.
I had that thought, too.

I donít know if Eloy is now a US resident, so to me his eligibility is uncertain.

Kopech will already have set a career high in innings. Should he be extended into October/November? Itís a question best left to the experts. Same thing with Cease.

It seems that pitchers who have spent time on the DL but are now healthy would be prime candidates for the additional innings in AFL, such as Dunning and Burdi, and depending on his eligibility, Hansen.
Old 08-16-2018, 05:39 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I had that thought, too.

I donít know if Eloy is now a US resident, so to me his eligibility is uncertain.

Kopech will already have set a career high in innings. Should he be extended into October/November? Itís a question best left to the experts. Same thing with Cease.

It seems that pitchers who have spent time on the DL but are now healthy would be prime candidates for the additional innings in AFL, such as Dunning and Burdi, and depending on his eligibility, Hansen.
No way do you extend Jimenez, Cease or Kopech- they have all had great, complete seasons- give them a few months off then back at it in February.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72
No way do you extend Jimenez, Cease or Kopech- they have all had great, complete seasons- give them a few months off then back at it in February.
I agree. There is too much injury risk. Send the quad-A fringe guys. If they really want Robert to play more, they can send him to Dominican League.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think I lean toward this position as well.

Quote:
I agree. There is too much injury risk. Send the quad-A fringe guys. If they really want Robert to play more, they can send him to Dominican League.
All things being equal, I’d prefer Robert - if he’s eligible - to play for the AFL squad. Their home games are played at Camelback Ranch, so he’d be readily accessible to Sox trainers.

I think I would draw my six Sox from this list:

Definite:

Burdi (to get innings after missing time)
Dunning (ditto)
Clarkin (ditto)
Collins (more reps both at and behind the plate)

Wish list (if eligible):

Hansen (see Burdi, Dunning, Clarkin)
Robert (see Hansen)

Contingency options if Hansen/Robert are ineligible:

Cordell (a chance to show that he might be in the CF mix next year)
Call (a chance to see if his hit tool can stand up against top competition)
Old 08-16-2018, 07:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I think I lean toward this position as well.

All things being equal, Iíd prefer Robert - if heís eligible - to play for the AFL squad. Their home games are played at Camelback Ranch, so heíd be readily accessible to Sox trainers.

I think I would draw my six Sox from this list:

Definite:

Burdi (to get innings after missing time)
Dunning (ditto)
Clarkin (ditto)
Collins (more reps both at and behind the plate)

Wish list (if eligible):

Hansen (see Burdi, Dunning, Clarkin)
Robert (see Hansen)

Contingency options if Hansen/Robert are ineligible:

Cordell (a chance to show that he might be in the CF mix next year)
Call (a chance to see if his hit tool can stand up against top competition)
Dunning, Robert, and Burdi are out. Players need to be activated off the disabled list at least 45 days before the conclusion of the minor league season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winter...id=player_elig
Old 08-17-2018, 02:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Dunning, Robert, and Burdi are out. Players need to be activated off the disabled list at least 45 days before the conclusion of the minor league season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/winter...id=player_elig

Well damn.

In that case, give me:

Hansen (as the A-ball exception)
Collins
Clarkin
Call
Cordell
Basabe (if he's a US resident) or Zavala
Old 08-30-2018, 03:35 PM
WSI Prelate

The Glendale Desert Dogs have announced the following White Sox prospects are on their 2018 roster:

Tanner Banks
Zack Burdi
Zach Thompson
Laz Rivera
Luis Alexander Basabe
Luis Robert
Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The Glendale Desert Dogs have announced the following White Sox prospects are on their 2018 roster:

Tanner Banks
Zack Burdi
Zach Thompson
Laz Rivera
Luis Alexander Basabe
Luis Robert
That is a really, really strong group for AZ, a testament to how much the Sox have improved their farm system.

I'm glad Robert will be there -- he needs a bunch of ABs and playing time to catch up for the past two years, and the fact that Basabe and Rivera are also there means the Sox want to push these two along at as fast a pace as possible.

I wonder if they'll keep Burdi there the whole time or shut him down after a while to let him recover a bit and get him ready for the spring.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:32 PM
WSI Prelate

They must have completely overhauled the rules.