White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Dunn is the biggest Sox bust since......?
Alex Rios 15 5.81%
Nick Swisher 28 10.85%
Brian Anderson 7 2.71%
Billy Koch 41 15.89%
Jaime Navarro 36 13.95%
Albert Belle 11 4.26%
Steve Sax 12 4.65%
SportsVision 16 6.20%
Blue seats at New Comiskey 17 6.59%
Cory Snyder 3 1.16%
Other 15 5.81%
THIS POLL SUCKS CHURROS 57 22.09%
Voters: 258. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railsplitter View Post
No Dave Nicholson, kevin Bell or Ron Bloomberg on the list of sox Busts?
Bell had a bad knee injury so that's tough to judge.

Bloomberg was a pretty bad signing- no one else would have given him anywhere near the contract Veeck gave him.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:54 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteWard View Post
It's June 1. What a moronic thread.
It's July 1st. Still a moronic thread? Will it be on August 1st too?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34rancher View Post
It's his 1st ****ing season here. But let's go ahead and judge the entirety of his four years here based off of the first three months. This thread won't stop sucking for a long, long time, if ever.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Yes and yes.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03
Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint View Post
It's his 1st ****ing season here. But let's go ahead and judge the entirety of his four years here based off of the first three months. This thread won't stop sucking for a long, long time, if ever.
There is one way that it will end. And it's going to take a massive turn around by him. I just hope that this season has convinced him that he needs to work out in the off season and get a conditioning coach.

And no offense, but the argument that this is the first season is ridiculous for a 12th year guy who just signed a 56 million dollar contract. If he were a 3-4 year guy, I could say hey, maybe. But for an aging veteran who has seen a lot of this game, that is not a good argument. I hope he turns it around, but I just don't see it.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And how old will he be in those last two years?

This team is built win now. Dunn was given that contract to produce now. You accept with his kind of deal you're getting value for the first year, maybe two only because your window is now. Dunn's been embarrassingly bad for way too long. By the time he figures it out, if he figures it out, it will already have been a poor investment. It already IS a poor investment.

He could turn it around next year, but the team around him next year probably won't be as strong as the team around him now. He's here for now, not then. It's a failure.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:35 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
And no offense, but the argument that this is the first season is ridiculous for a 12th year guy who just signed a 56 million dollar contract. If he were a 3-4 year guy, I could say hey, maybe. But for an aging veteran who has seen a lot of this game, that is not a good argument. I hope he turns it around, but I just don't see it.
I'm not defending the guy, he's been absolutely awful. But there's no defending a "worst bust ever" thread after 3 months of play, let alone the two months it took to start the thread initially. It's horrendously knee-jerk.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:37 PM
MMXXIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

This team is built win now. Dunn was given that contract to produce now. You accept with his kind of deal you're getting value for the first year, maybe two only because your window is now. Dunn's been embarrassingly bad for way too long. By the time he figures it out, if he figures it out, it will already have been a poor investment. It already IS a poor investment.

He could turn it around next year, but the team around him next year probably won't be as strong as the team around him now. He's here for now, not then. It's a failure.
No he's actually here for now and then.

2015 Obligatory Attendance/Record Tracker
1-2

LAST GAME: May 22 - Sox 3, Twins 2
NEXT GAME: June 8 - Sox vs. Astros
Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I'm not defending the guy, he's been absolutely awful. But there's no defending a "worst bust ever" thread after 3 months of play, let alone the two months it took to start the thread initially. It's horrendously knee-jerk.
I would normally agree with you, and it's just my opinion he's the most overrated lefty of my lifetime and I hate that we signed him then and now. It's others opinion he's going to turn it around. I hope, really really hope (fingers crossed) you are all right.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:41 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post

You don't start "greatest signing ever" threads after 2 months of performance because the guy isn't done playing yet, and a lot can change over the course of a season/contract. You don't start "biggest bust since" threads after 2 months of performance for the exact same reason.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:40 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
thats the only half of what makes this a scary ordeal, his contract is truly frightening. Sorry I know a lot of people here are wait and see types but Dunn is atrocious, he will not get much better than he is now. His monster homeruns are few and far between and his strikeouts and on base percentage are truly horrendous. Sorry I guess I'm just not a fan of his, I wasn't when we signed him and sure am not now as he is doing exactly what I thought he would do (acutally even worse). Maybe I'll eat crow if he turns it around, but I seriously doubt this.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPD View Post
thats the only half of what makes this a scary ordeal, his contract is truly frightening. Sorry I know a lot of people here are wait and see types but Dunn is atrocious, he will not get much better than he is now. His monster homeruns are few and far between and his strikeouts and on base percentage are truly horrendous. Sorry I guess I'm just not a fan of his, I wasn't when we signed him and sure am not now as he is doing exactly what I thought he would do (acutally even worse). Maybe I'll eat crow if he turns it around, but I seriously doubt this.
So, with a career .890 OPS and 7 straight seasons of at least 38 HR, you forecasted that he'd have the first sub-.800 OPS year of his career based on the fact that he strikes out a lot (something he has always done)?

Give me a ****ing break.

Dunn is obviously doing terrible, but anybody that says they saw this season coming is full of it.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublem23 View Post
Yeah, but "then" he was expected to suck and we'll be in a reloading period. Turning it around then serves no purpose, and "around" at that age probably isn't all that good anyway.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:59 PM
WSI Regular

Looking at Dunn bat today, maybe it was Garza, but he got behind in the count. If pitchers are gong to give Dunn stikes early, maybe he needs to change his tendancy to go deep into the count and go for the first pitches if they are strikes. As long as the bases are clear for the double play, what does he have to lose at this point?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowand33 View Post
So, with a career .890 OPS and 7 straight seasons of at least 38 HR, you forecasted that he'd have the first sub-.800 OPS year of his career based on the fact that he strikes out a lot (something he has always done)?

Give me a ****ing break.

Dunn is obviously doing terrible, but anybody that says they saw this season coming is full of it.
I saw it coming. Proof in the pudding.

From the thread the day we signed him:

Quote:
I hate this signing. What a waste of time and money. This guy is going to set franchise record for strikeouts. This is going to set the sox back 5 years with $$$ and first round pick. Kenny, what the **** are you thinking? This guy can't carry a team out of last place. What a dumb dumb move. I hate this just a little less than I hated the Peavy trade. I know I am in the minority, but we just cinched playoff-less baseball for the next 5 years....Guy is a career ****ing 250 hitter. What the hell are we thinking????

HATE HATE HATE.

Ok, how about 199 strikouts on a team where they could pitch around him? Or only 77 walks. Iwould rather have taken the money and gone after Paulie. Hate this trade. Hope I'm wrong. But I hate these moves...Losing the 1st rounder too?
I'm willing to admit we've gotten more from Peavy than I expected and he's been lights out when healthy, but I've disliked Dunn since day 1.
Closed Thread