GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2019, 02:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Just playing Devil's advocate here but what if the Sox scouting department thought Jarneski was a better prospect than what was left among unsigned international players? The $1mm or whatever they sent to the Rangers had to be spent this year. It doesn't 'roll-over' to '20.

No clue about either player but it doesn't look like Castro is close to a legit prospect. At least Jarneski has age on his side and was a 12th round pick just two years ago.

But I sort of agree that they'd have been better off using it on a lower-ranked, cheap, 16 year old lottery ticket from the DR than the two they got.
International signing periods do overlap years. They go from July 2 of the current year to June 15 of the following year. And after some of the signings they already made this period they had a little over $1.5 million left. So this now leaves them with roughly a little over $500,00 to spend on International signings until June 15, 2020. Also, they were limited the last couple years on what they could spend due to signing Robert. So this narrative that they don't spend international money is simply false.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:59 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
International signing periods do overlap years. They go from July 2 of the current year to June 15 of the following year. And after some of the signings they already made this period they had a little over $1.5 million left. So this now leaves them with roughly a little over $500,00 to spend on International signings until June 15, 2020. Also, they were limited the last couple years on what they could spend due to signing Robert. So this narrative that they don't spend international money is simply false.
Sigh. Using facts to ruin good rants. Killjoy.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Tick tock. Trade deadline just expired.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 07-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

News of a few trades always trickles in after the deadline, but if the only move was dumping Nate Jones, Hahn missed another golden opportunity to improve the team.

Do we have a Fire Hahn tag yet?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:08 PM
WSI Prelate

The FO accomplished a salary dump....woo woo!
They're going for it next year! LOL
Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
News of a few trades always trickles in after the deadline, but if the only move was dumping Nate Jones, Hahn missed another golden opportunity to improve the team.

Do we have a Fire Hahn tag yet?
Lack of trades does not mean Hahn missed anything. The only player on the roster that could have been moved was Colome. Stop with the pipe dreams of trading Abreu. His production has been declining for over a year now and anyone thinking the Sox were going to get anything of substance for moving Abreu is overvaluing his production.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:11 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Sigh. Using facts to ruin good rants. Killjoy.
I didn't rant and allowed for the possibility that the scouts thought more highly of the Rangers prospects than what they could have signed from the international pool.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
So what should they have done? Give me reasonable expectations here on who they should have moved and what they should have received in return. Because again, the only player of value is Colome. They might have been able to move Bummer or Fry, but why move bullpen pieces that are under control for the next couple years?
Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Lack of trades does not mean Hahn missed anything. The only player on the roster that could have been moved was Colome. Stop with the pipe dreams of trading Abreu. His production has been declining for over a year now and anyone thinking the Sox were going to get anything of substance for moving Abreu is overvaluing his production.
It appears that there were quite a few players that were thought to be on the block that didn't get moved so the Sox aren't remotely close to being alone. It's entirely possible if not likely that no one offered them anything of reasonable value for either Abreu or Colome.

I don't know why everyone seems intent on drawing conclusions absent any facts.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:16 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:

That goes against the 'Sox management is incompetent' narrative that a percentage of posters have to flog daily.

Apr 8 L
May 18 W
May 29 W
Jun 15 L
Jun 29 L
Jul 3 (1) W
Jul 4 L
Jul 23 L
Aug 13 (1) L
Aug 13 (2) W
Aug 24 L
Aug 29 L
Sep 6 L
Sep 12 L
Sep 28 (1) W
Sep 28 (2) L

Next Game Spring 2020
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I figured the Sox would not make a big splash, but to those of you who feel that Hahn somehow missed an opportunity, I would like to remind you that it takes two (or three) to dance. Hahn cannot force someone to do a deal. This isn't a situation where Hahn can make an offer the other team cannot refuse while holding a gun to the GM's head....
Old 07-31-2019, 03:18 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
This is silly. You have no idea if anyone even made an offer for Abreu. As for Colome, I think I'd rather have him, Bummer, and/or Fry in '20 versus just making a deal for the sake of making a deal.

Now if Hahn doesn't make a splash in FA in '20, then I'll be pissed. Let's see how it shakes out.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:20 PM
WSI Regular

I can't jump on Hahn (or any GM) for not making a trade. We have no clue if there were any offers for Colome, Abreu, Garcia, or whoever. Also, even if there were offers, we don't know the specifics of any proposals.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
So what should they have done? Give me reasonable expectations here on who they should have moved and what they should have received in return. Because again, the only player of value is Colome. They might have been able to move Bummer or Fry, but why move bullpen pieces that are under control for the next couple years?
Oh, I don't know, perhaps actually spend your bonus pool (or is that too much work?). I would think they might try that considering the best prospect Hahn's ever signed was an international signing. He seems to follow the "if it works, stop doing it; if it fails, repeat until it works" motto.
Perhaps try to fashion various trades to get some pitching prospects in here (which is pitiably thin).
And was a salary dump of Jones necessary? Sure he's hurt, but what if he isn't next year? Sox need like 5 Jones' for the pen.

And then there's Abreu....

Last edited by Tragg; 07-31-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
I can't jump on Hahn (or any GM) for not making a trade. We have no clue if there were any offers for Colome, Abreu, Garcia, or whoever. Also, even if there were offers, we don't know the specifics of any proposals.
Why let that stop you?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell