Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 10:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Iím an historian, but when youíre talking about a a consumer product - and Major League Baseball is a consumer product competing not only with other entertainment products, but also another major league team eight miles north - the precise history of something is less important than what it might symbolize today.

No one is going to stop coming to Sox games if they DONíT celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

But some people might be offended, and therefore might stop coming to Sox games, if they DO celebrate the 40th anniversary of Disco Demolition.

To me it probably makes business sense to cancel the planned celebration if itís going to be perceived as offensive by some.
I respect your view and your qualifications. Because of them, you know that pieces or types of music have been co-opted, deliberately or not, in the past and that it has caused a great deal of trouble. I don't think that is what's happening here -- this is just the Trib pot-stirring to try make the Sox look bad IMO -- but even so I can't endorse caving to a view of something that is not less than precise but is, rather, wholly counterfactual.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:31 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
We're always going to have thorny parts to our past. We're always going to be the underdog. Stop trying to play by their rules.
I don't like this take simply because it resigns us to some sort of fate. Here's the thing: it's no longer the 70's. It's no longer the 80's or 90's. 2005 was almost 15 years ago.

This team keeps pandering to 50-70 year old south side white meatballism and then wonders why they're second fiddle. They've made good strides so far with bringing in Jason Benetti but this promotion feels like taking yet another step back.

Time to put away Disco Demolition, AC/DC, Steve Dahl, and the keys to the Camaro. It's 2019 and we should act like it.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I don't like this take simply because it resigns us to some sort of fate. Here's the thing: it's no longer the 70's. It's no longer the 80's or 90's. 2005 was almost 15 years ago.

This team keeps pandering to 50-70 year old south side white meatballism and then wonders why they're second fiddle. They've made good strides so far with bringing in Jason Benetti but this promotion feels like taking yet another step back.

Time to put away Disco Demolition, AC/DC, Steve Dahl, and the keys to the Camaro. It's 2019 and we should act like it.
Just to be picky, all the people who are objecting loudest to this promotion are that 50-70 YO fanbase you are railing against marketing being directed to.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-13-2019, 11:13 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Just to be picky, all the people who are objecting loudest to this promotion are that 50-70 YO fanbase you are railing against marketing being directed to.
Well, Iím not quite 50 (Iíll be 43 in August), and I donít really have a strong opinion either way, but I do respect those who do have strong opinions and the reasons they may have for those opinions. 😎
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:30 AM
WSI Personality

I canít believe anyone has an issue with this, and yet, here we are.

There is no way the club should cancel this t-shirt giveaway. In fact, they should definitely make plans to do it again in Ď29. My only suggestion would be to add a ďDisco Resurrection ď night the next night, and celebrate all of that great music as well. Letís have some fun, for Godís sake.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well, Iím not quite 50 (Iíll be 43 in August), and I donít really have a strong opinion either way, but I do respect those who do have strong opinions and the reasons they may have for those opinions. 😎
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have mine also. All I'm expressing on this issue is my opinion.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kba View Post
it gave the franchise a black-eye from a baseball standpoint and really tarnished the end of Veeck's career with the media, the city, and a lot of Sox fans.
You are correct in that Veeckís career was tarnished in the eyes of the media by Disco Demolition. However, a few seasons of hanging out in the Wrigley Field bleachers quickly restored his status as a National Treasure.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I canít believe anyone has an issue with this, and yet, here we are.

There is no way the club should cancel this t-shirt giveaway. In fact, they should definitely make plans to do it again in Ď29. My only suggestion would be to add a ďDisco Resurrection ď night the next night, and celebrate all of that great music as well. Letís have some fun, for Godís sake.
Great idea!
Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Disco Demolition was a huge moment in pop culture history. It's been cited as one of the reasons for the death of disco.

It's not homophobic, or racist in any way. If anything, it was protesting the fact that the whole disco scene wasn't inclusive- you had to dress a certain way, have a certain look, listen to the music, and have an ability to dance. And just like any flavor of the week, it was rammed down people's throats.

The Disco Sucks movement was a backlash against a non-inclusive scene that many people didn't fit into. There's some irony in the fact that it's being protested for being non-inclusive.

It also is reinforcing the fact that we are living in a time where people look to be victimized by anything they can think of.

I guarantee that those protesting know nothing of the history of it, or Steve Dahl's motivations behind it. It wasn't anti-gay or racist.

Social media is going to be the downfall of society. If the Sox cancel this promotion, I'm done with them.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:50 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
My only suggestion would be to add a ďDisco Resurrection ď night the next night, and celebrate all of that great music as well.
I really like this idea.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:57 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
I really like this idea.
I don't even like disco and I like this idea. Could the White Sox wear those uniforms that Sale cut up too???

Go Sox!!!
Old 06-13-2019, 12:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatK View Post
Disco Demolition was a huge moment in pop culture history. It's been cited as one of the reasons for the death of disco.

It's not homophobic, or racist in any way. If anything, it was protesting the fact that the whole disco scene wasn't inclusive- you had to dress a certain way, have a certain look, listen to the music, and have an ability to dance. And just like any flavor of the week, it was rammed down people's throats.

The Disco Sucks movement was a backlash against a non-inclusive scene that many people didn't fit into. There's some irony in the fact that it's being protested for being non-inclusive.

It also is reinforcing the fact that we are living in a time where people look to be victimized by anything they can think of.

I guarantee that those protesting know nothing of the history of it, or Steve Dahl's motivations behind it. It wasn't anti-gay or racist.

If the Sox cancel this promotion, I'm done with them.
Oh, come on. This is a bit of an overreaction. But hey. If it makes you happy.

The idea that the anti-disco movement was somehow anti-gay or anti-black is a relatively new one. I have only seen it pop up in the past few years. No evidence has been offered that I have seen, only that the music itself originated in gay black nightclubs before going mainstream. That I guess is proof enough to some amateur cultural historians.

I think the Sox are just trying to have a sense of humor about it. They're famous for it, I see it mentioned ad nauseum on many Facebook baseball pages. I guess they figure "why not have fun with it?"

And does anyone really believe that people will stop going to games if they go through with this, as one person suggested? I have a hard time believing that. Although we already have one "done with them" threat if they don't go through with it. So it's lose-lose, I guess.

I also wonder if this is just a few people on social media being blown up by the Tribune because, even though they no longer own their favorite team, they just can't help Tribuning.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Oh, come on. This is a bit of an overreaction. But hey. If it makes you happy.

The idea that the anti-disco movement was somehow anti-gay or anti-black is a relatively new one. I have only seen it pop up in the past few years. No evidence has been offered that I have seen, only that the music itself originated in gay black nightclubs before going mainstream. That I guess is proof enough to some amateur cultural historians.

I think the Sox are just trying to have a sense of humor about it. They're famous for it, I see it mentioned ad nauseum on many Facebook baseball pages. I guess they figure "why not have fun with it?"

And does anyone really believe that people will stop going to games if they go through with this, as one person suggested? I have a hard time believing that. Although we already have one "done with them" threat if they don't go through with it. So it's lose-lose, I guess.

I also wonder if this is just a few people on social media being blown up by the Tribune because, even though they no longer own their favorite team, they just can't help Tribuning.
It isnít a relatively new idea. The idea was prominent in my neighborhood growing up.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

This is the first that i've heard that disco was anti Gay and Racist . i've always considered Disco Demolition night to be part of Sox lore and nothing else . when i was a young man, i went to disco's sometimes because it was a great place to meet girls and just alot of fun . i didn't like the music, and much preferred rock, but it never occurred to me that it was serious enough to cause a rift between people . the biggest surprise that i had, was reading in that article that Paul Sullivan grew up going to White Sox games . from reading his stuff, i thought that he was a Sox hater and die hard Cub fan. also, it seems to me that it's difficult to have any opinion these days without offending someone, and causing outrage.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
It isnít a relatively new idea. The idea was prominent in my neighborhood growing up.
Interesting. I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago.
Closed Thread