White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2007, 09:25 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Default Matt Clement?

-I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind this guy in a WSox uniform next season. Before you all flip out hear me out.
-Jose Contreras needs to go. I don't wanna sound disrespectful because he was a key component to our World Series title however we have to decide on loyalty or success. Ideally we could matchup with the Dodgers where 2 bad contracts get moved for each other and each team fills a whole with a Contreras for Furcal deal. Floyd could fill his spot as Floyd showed at the end he might have figured it out.
-Now also it appears Garland could be on his way out. Also people aren't convinced on Jerry Owens. Thats why I propose Garland for Crawford. A good veteran for Tampa to build around if they would spend the money and they have a ton of OF'rs. Crawford could lead-off and man CF.
This is where Clement comes into play. I understand he has missed a season and a half with surgery. However he is a good pitcher, and lots of pitchers have come back with something to prove from surgery and done really well. Look at Loiaza. Also the Sox have a history of bringing in injured players and ressurecting their careers. This would be a low risk high reward situation. If he comes back you get solid results and a bargain salary. If he doesn't you have a few kids looking like they are ready to return.
-Don't go crazy on me if you disagree just something I was thinking about during my boring evening.

Joe Flacco Super Bowl 47 Champion and MVP
Joe Flacco First Rookie QB to win 2 games in his first playoff.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Ummmmmm, no thanks.

IIRC we actually lit up his ass pretty good in that 14-2 ALDS opener. 'Nuff said.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:28 PM
WSI 2013 NFL Pick'em Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioheadRocks View Post
Ummmmmm, no thanks.

IIRC we actually lit up his ass pretty good in that 14-2 ALDS opener. 'Nuff said.
In hi defense the Sox were in some kind of a zone that playoff.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
WSI Personality

Did he ever fully recover from getting hit in the head? I thought he pretty much lost it after that.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Dont we have enough guys that have no idea where the ball is going when they let it go? Im all for new arms, but not ones that dont know how to throw strikes
Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 PM
WSI Prelate

The Devil Rays are not going to trade Crawford for an expensive, one year rental.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Prior to the '05 season, KW did have interest in signing Clement but ended up settling for El Duque when Clement's price got too high after Boston outbid us. Clement was a ground ball pitcher that seems to suit our ballpark well but he is 2 years removed from being a productive MLB starter. He'd be a pretty big risk. I think I'd take my chances with Danks or Floyd improving.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin
Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

If Clement wants to come to Spring Training as a non-roster invitee, that'd be fine with me.

Actually offering him money up-front to pitch is sheer folly.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:43 PM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinigirl View Post
Did he ever fully recover from getting hit in the head? I thought he pretty much lost it after that.
No, he changed his mechanics and was never really the same. Matt Clement is a very nice guy and if he is one hundred percent healthy he is a servicable three or four starter. Depending on what we do with Jose and Garland, I don't think we will need him. The starting pitching wasn't the problem this year...there are more important needs to address.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The starting pitching wasn't the problem this year...there are more important needs to address.
On the whole, I agree. However, if there is one part of the rotation that needs addressing, it's Contreras. He struggled mightily this year, and he's not getting any younger. Or cheaper.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Lefty34

Matt Clement does very little for this team if he were to be signed or traded for or whatever. Look at what would happen: we would be giving up an aged (HE doesn't even know how old he is) Cuban pitcher with a mammoth contract for someone who hasn't pitched in a year and a half. Does that make any sense at all? I want Contreras' head served on a platter to Sox fans, but I certainly don't want Matt Clement (Mr. Weird Facial Hair himself) to fill the spot. Sure, he was a serviceable pitcher before getting hurt, but he hasn't pitched in one and a half years. Ask the flubs how they're doing with the pitcher who had the same kind of injury downtime, I think his name was Mark Prior.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Lefty34

And also, who really wants to give up Garland? He is at the core of what I believe to be a solid 3-man staff that the Sox can build around. If we are in agreement that starting pitching wasn't the problem last year, then why should we get rid of one of our top starters? Instead, maybe this off-season KW can go and get some actual relief PITCHERS, and not just guys that throw kinda hard out of the pen. THAT'S what this team needs.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Everybody's All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by getonbckthr View Post
-I know this sounds crazy but I wouldn't mind this guy in a WSox uniform next season. Before you all flip out hear me out.
-Jose Contreras needs to go. I don't wanna sound disrespectful because he was a key component to our World Series title however we have to decide on loyalty or success. Ideally we could matchup with the Dodgers where 2 bad contracts get moved for each other and each team fills a whole with a Contreras for Furcal deal. Floyd could fill his spot as Floyd showed at the end he might have figured it out.
First of all, KW has shown he cares more about success than loyalty (hint, hint...Aaron Rowand). Second, the Dodgers are not going to trade Furcal for Contreras. They have pitching. They don't need to trade for another starter. They need offense, and they aren't going to trade their leadoff man for a pitcher many would consider to be off the scrap heap. Third, Contreras seemed to have figured it out at the end of the season as well. I'm not saying we should keep him, just coutering your argument about Floyd, meaning I'm not ready to annoint him into the starting rotation just yet.
Quote:
-Now also it appears Garland could be on his way out. Also people aren't convinced on Jerry Owens. Thats why I propose Garland for Crawford. A good veteran for Tampa to build around if they would spend the money and they have a ton of OF'rs. Crawford could lead-off and man CF.
The Rays aren't going to trade Crawford. Period.
Quote:
This is where Clement comes into play. I understand he has missed a season and a half with surgery. However he is a good pitcher, and lots of pitchers have come back with something to prove from surgery and done really well. Look at Loiaza. Also the Sox have a history of bringing in injured players and ressurecting their careers. This would be a low risk high reward situation. If he comes back you get solid results and a bargain salary. If he doesn't you have a few kids looking like they are ready to return.
The last thing this team needs is to pick up a pitcher who was on the DL for most of this past season. What you're proposing in this scenario is trading a proven dependable starting pitcher (Garland) and another starter (Contreras) whose best days may be behind him, only to replace them with a young, unproven starting pitcher (Floyd) and an injury prone starter (Clement) whose best days may be behind him. The offense may get better, but the pitching will take a serious hit.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives- Jackie Robinson

www.twitter.com/Spawn_03