White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
No. His team won in spite of him.
So did Matheny's. They handed him a WS-caliber team, he got his win, and then his horrendous decisionmaking and managing style shone through.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 AM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
Carlos Martinez begs to differ.
This year, Mikolas has definitely been their best starter.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-17-2018, 09:40 AM
TomC727 TomC727 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: South Suburbs
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
This year, Mikolas has definitely been their best starter.
Very true.

Their starting staff has actually been quite good.
__________________
GO WHITE SOX


CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-17-2018, 10:48 AM
Zisk77 Zisk77 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edwardsville Il
Posts: 1,982
Default

There is some talk that Joe Girardi will be the cards manager next year,
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-17-2018, 02:16 PM
cub killer cub killer is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 1,637
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
So did Matheny's. They handed him a WS-caliber team, he got his win, .
You mean the pennant, right.
__________________
MRKARNO
04-04-2005, 04:03 PM
I was a doubter, but maybe, just maybe we can win with pitching, defense and fundamentals.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
FielderJones's Avatar
FielderJones FielderJones is offline
WSI Village Atheist
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 5,989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
You mean the pennant, right.

Yeah, getting old sucks. I thought Matheny had been manager a lot longer.
__________________
2018 Attendance Tracker: 8 - 8


Apr 5 L
Apr 10 L
May 18 L
May 22 W
Jun 1 W
Jun 22 L W
Jul 2 L @ CIN
Jul 3 W @ CIN
Jul 11 W
Jul 28 W
Aug 17 W
Sep 8 L
Sep 22 L
Sep 23 L
Sep 25 W

Next Game 2019 ?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cub killer View Post
You mean the pennant, right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post
Yeah, getting old sucks. I thought Matheny had been manager a lot longer.
Ditto.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:15 PM
hdog1017 hdog1017 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,090
Default

Per my friend who's from the Lou, they need to hire a manager that knows the Cardinal Way.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-17-2018, 04:27 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog1017 View Post
Per my friend who's from the Lou, they need to hire a manager that knows the Cardinal Way.
Matheny was actually excellent at the Cardinal Way, all the way through his last day!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-17-2018, 08:57 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 436
Default

What exactly is the Cardinal Way?

The thought that you're better than everyone else for liking the Cardinals or something? That always rubbed me the wrong way.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-18-2018, 01:21 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
What exactly is the Cardinal Way?

The thought that you're better than everyone else for liking the Cardinals or something? That always rubbed me the wrong way.
The "Cardinal Way" much like the "Oriole Way" and the "Dodger Way" was a franchise system designed to teach the game, the exact same way, at all levels of instruction all the way up to the big club.

A kid is Rookie League for example is taught the same thing as the guy in Triple A in fundamentals meaning what base to throw to in what situation, where to cover second base on a steal attempt (in front of the bag / behind it), where to back up a base/play depending on the situation to give you a few examples.

At least with the Orioles, I recall they used to print basically a "playbook" for their minor league prospects showing visually what to do in every situation. Players had to study it, know it, and execute it if they wanted to advance in the system.

Part of the reason those two franchises were very good for a very long time.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-18-2018, 05:00 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,960
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The "Cardinal Way" much like the "Oriole Way" and the "Dodger Way" was a franchise system designed to teach the game, the exact same way, at all levels of instruction all the way up to the big club.

A kid is Rookie League for example is taught the same thing as the guy in Triple A in fundamentals meaning what base to throw to in what situation, where to cover second base on a steal attempt (in front of the bag / behind it), where to back up a base/play depending on the situation to give you a few examples.

At least with the Orioles, I recall they used to print basically a "playbook" for their minor league prospects showing visually what to do in every situation. Players had to study it, know it, and execute it if they wanted to advance in the system.

Part of the reason those two franchises were very good for a very long time.
The Orioles had a series ran on PBS called, I believe, the 'Oriole Way'. I watched it as a kid. If I could find it on disk I'd buy it.



I wonder how many teams follow this blueprint today?
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-18-2018, 09:18 AM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,679
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
The "Cardinal Way" much like the "Oriole Way" and the "Dodger Way" was a franchise system designed to teach the game, the exact same way, at all levels of instruction all the way up to the big club.

A kid is Rookie League for example is taught the same thing as the guy in Triple A in fundamentals meaning what base to throw to in what situation, where to cover second base on a steal attempt (in front of the bag / behind it), where to back up a base/play depending on the situation to give you a few examples.

At least with the Orioles, I recall they used to print basically a "playbook" for their minor league prospects showing visually what to do in every situation. Players had to study it, know it, and execute it if they wanted to advance in the system.

Part of the reason those two franchises were very good for a very long time.
Yep. In fact, Branch Rickey basically instituted the Cardinal Way when he established what is now known as the minor league farm system.
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.