White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's your preferred realignment in the event of expansion?
Abolish the AL & NL and go completely geographical 4 16.00%
AL/NL East/West with 8 teams each 6 24.00%
AL/NL N/S/E/W with 4 teams each 12 48.00%
Doesn't matter to me 3 12.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2018, 03:44 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Tribune's Realignment Story

It doesn't look like this has been discussed here yet but this week (I think it was Thursday) Steve Rosenbloom came out with this article and it was accompanied by a map covering the front page of the sports section illustrating what it would look like if baseball realigned to eliminate the AL and NL. I'm pretty sure it's totally hypothetical but thought I'd gauge the feeling...personally I think it's the stupidest possible solution. To throw away 117+ years of tradition just because some teams' players don't like flying cross-country. You're making 7-8 figures a year, guys. Get over it, or sign with a midwestern team if it bothers you that much.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...116-story.html
Old 01-20-2018, 04:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'd be more against it if our nearest divisional rival wasn't nearly 300 miles away.

Still ticked off the Brewers moved to the National League.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm dead set against abolishing the AL and NL. I hope I never see that come to pass. If they do expand to 32 teams, I'm undecided on whether I'd want four 8-team divisions or eight 4-team divisions. If there are four 8-team divisions, let's face it - there will be wild card teams involved. MLB is not going to scale back the number of playoff teams and eliminate the division series round whether we like it or not.

There was another thread about realignment a couple of months ago and here was my suggestion at the time. This would get you a good geographical alignment while keeping the AL and NL pretty much intact and only a minimal number of teams swapping leagues:
AL East: NYY, BOS, BAL, TOR AL Central: SOX, DET, CLE, MIN (<---or all 8 in one division)
AL West: LAA, OAK, PORT, SEA AL Southwest: TEX, HOU, KC, COL
NL East: NYM, WAS, PHI, MON NL Central: STL, CHC, MIL, PIT
NL West: LAD, SF, SD, AZ NL South: MIA, TB, ATL, CIN
I have Colorado and Tampa Bay swapping leagues to get the geography to be reasonable in each division.

If we want Toronto and Montreal in the same division, then also move Toronto to the NL East with Montreal and Washington to the AL East (where they can be division rivals with Baltimore). There is a precedent of Washington DC being an American League city (1901-1971) - seventy years.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:31 PM
WSI Guru

Then what happens when Miami and Tampa either get contracted or move?

I definitely don't want to see anything drastic. Keep the AL and NL.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:18 AM
WSI Guru

Except that what folks forget is that Manfred and MLB have discussed this exact thing. Radical realignment.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:45 AM
WSI High Priest

There was no option to vote "no realignment -- keep it the way it is."

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
There was no option to vote "no realignment -- keep it the way it is."
The poll was assuming expansion to 32 teams as a given. The "no realignment" option that would go with expansion by two teams would probably just add Portland to the AL West and Montreal to the NL East, but I don't think they would even begin to consider each league having two five-team divisions and one six-team division, so I didn't bother putting it as an option.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:37 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Not a huge fan of Rosenbloom so I won't click the link.

Given 32 teams two divisions of 8 with 2 WC in each league is fairest. 4 divisions makes it too easy for a bad team to slip in because the rest of the division is in rebuild/tank mode.

Want to liven things up go with 4 WC and two play in games in each league winner take all for 2 games in each league before the real playoffs start.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-21-2018, 01:42 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

No divisions just 16 A.L. and 16 N.L. teams with balanced schedule, 10 games against each league team. Home and home against rival A.L. N.L. teams or cut season down to 160.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:02 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Welp, if there is any credibility to this, that golden Goose that has been lining the owners' pockets the past 10+ years better start looking over its shoulder. It is about to get shot.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

I am opposed to expansion. We already have a few teams struggling to put fannies in the seats and others that under perform in that area. Whether the talent level is such to be able to handle expansion is also highly debatable. The White Sox aren't the only club fielding a AAAA team right now.

However, if it were to occur I would prefer two eight team divisions with four wild cards. First playoff round would feature division winners against wild cards in inverse order in three game sets played over the course of four days. Second round would feature the four winners again playing each other in inverse order in a five game set over the course of six days. Final two teams in each league would play a seven game series for the league championship followed by seven game World Series. I would also advocate starting the season a little earlier and/or squeezing out a day off or two so that the playoffs don't run into November.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not a huge fan of Rosenbloom so I won't click the link.

Given 32 teams two divisions of 8 with 2 WC in each league is fairest. 4 divisions makes it too easy for a bad team to slip in because the rest of the division is in rebuild/tank mode.

Want to liven things up go with 4 WC and two play in games in each league winner take all for 2 games in each league before the real playoffs start.
No need to click on the Rosenbloom link. He merely refers to this article that was published a few months ago:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/colu...er-postseason/

I agree with you about Rosenbloom. He's nothing more than a smartass taking pot shots. He doesn't provide any insightful information as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 01-22-2018 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-22-2018, 10:31 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
No need to click on the Rosenbloom link. He merely refers to this article that was published a few months ago:
https://www.baseballamerica.com/colu...er-postseason/

I agree with you about Rosenbloom. He's nothing more than a smartass takes pot shots. He doesn't provide any insightful information as far as I'm concerned.
Troll with a byline...
Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Can't do away with the 2 leagues. Im sure at some point in time there will be 32 teams with each league having four divisions of 4 teams each. Each league would have an Eastern Division, a Mid East division, a Midwest division and and a West division.

East....Yankees, Red Sox, Orioles and Rays. If the Rays fail to get a new stadium then we will see a team in Montreal.
Mideast...Tigers, Indians, Blue Jays and White Sox
Midwest...Twins, Royals, Astros and Rangers
West.....Mariners, A's, Angels and Expansion Portland

National League

East.....Mets, Phillies, Marlins, Nats
Mideast....Pirates, Reds, Braves, Expansion Charlotte.
Midwest....Cubs, Cards, Brewers, Rockies
West....Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Diamondbacks

The 4 divisional winners go to the playoffs, no more wild cards.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 01-25-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:04 PM
WSI Personality

I'm all for geographical realignment as long as the Sox are in the same division as the Rockies.