White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 440
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Completely agree- I think they minimized the damage to his development with the approach they took with Micker.
Agreed as well, even if it's a tough pill to swallow.
  #17  
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMachine10 View Post
They would have lost this entire season of Adolfo had they immediately went ahead with surgery. Having him bat incurred no further damage to the site. He was able to accrue 300 ABs or so this year and performed very well. He'll be ready around May 1 next season, so he'd miss only a couple of weeks next year. I think they maximized this situation. In this case, he received highly valuable ABs and will see minimal DL time next year. He would have missed an entire season had he went ahead with surgery in March or April.
Agreed. If he returns in May, he'll end up missing the last 2 months of this season and the first month or so of 2019. Better that than having him miss one entire season. This year's 3-month season was very productive for him. He made great progress offensively and has started to look like he might live up to his potential. Hardly a waste of time, IMO, even if he wasn't able to play defense.

It seems like Adolfo has been in the farm system forever, but that's because he was signed at age 16. When he returns next year, he'll still only be 22. If he returns healthy and picks up where he left off this year, I'd image he'll move up to AA at some point during the 2019 season.
  #18  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
And yet, despite the injuries, lesser-known Sox prospects are picking up the slack, not only answering developmental questions affirmatively but doing so in such a way that is winning games.

When the heralded prospects return, they will face stiffer internal competition, which ought to raise the overall level of play.

Although no surgery is routine, the success rate for UCL repair means that none of the injuries anyone has suffered are career-threatening. There’s no shoulder problems among pitchers, or back or hip problems. Even Burger’s doubly-torn Achilles at worst would move him off third base.
Yep, many lesser-hyped prospects are indeed having great seasons. Some of the top prospects who are not injured (knock on wood) have made great strides too (Cease, Rutherford, Collins).

It's nice to see such a deep system. If this were a few years ago, I can image that we'd be pinning all our hopes on maybe a couple of the top performing prospects like Flores and Gonzalez and the major injury to Burger would have been a devastating blow to this organization's depth.

I agree with you about the injuries. No arguing that the number of them suffered by top prospects this year sucks big time and is frustrating to see. But, none of them should threaten the ceiling of these guys. Maybe Burger's injury is the worst in that regard.
  #19  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:18 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,637
Default

Meanwhile, another great start for Flores last night. Here's what he's done in 4 starts since being promoted to AA: 27 IP, 5 R, 20 H, 5 BB, 19 K, ERA 1.67

At W-S, Gonzalez and Rutherford each had 2 hits. Sheets had another hit and now has hit safely in 22 of 23 games.
  #20  
Old 07-11-2018, 12:30 PM
DonnieDarko DonnieDarko is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: North side, 60618
Posts: 2,598
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yep, many lesser-hyped prospects are indeed having great seasons. Some of the top prospects who are not injured (knock on wood) have made great strides too (Cease, Rutherford, Collins).

It's nice to see such a deep system. If this were a few years ago, I can image that we'd be pinning all our hopes on maybe a couple of the top performing prospects like Flores and Gonzalez and the major injury to Burger would have been a devastating blow to this organization's depth.

I agree with you about the injuries. No arguing that the number of them suffered by top prospects this year sucks big time and is frustrating to see. But, none of them should threaten the ceiling of these guys. Maybe Burger's injury is the worst in that regard.
And here is another example of why baseball is such a funny game. How is it that the prospect in the system who is most likely to win the "Human Glass" award is 100% healthy, while tons of other guys are going down? It's madness, I tell you.

The injuries are a bit of a gut punch, no doubt. But as others have said, the progress that other prospects have shown so far this year has been very good to see. Outside of the top tier guys I'm looking at Burr, Hamilton, Battenfield, and Joel Booker who have impressed me the most/made me the most excited. At the very least they can become valuable trade pieces, if not outright plan B ML starters when the team becomes competitive again. I imagine that next year, when several of those prospects I named above and others that I did not, will move up to AA where the true test of their abilities can begin. Then we can begin to tell what we actually have. Rather than be hand wringing over it, I'm quite excited to see what they can do against better competition.

Despite the dreariness of this season on the field, the minors has a lot to be happy about if you know where to look.
__________________

2014 PtC Score: 1
  #21  
Old 07-11-2018, 01:57 PM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 30,226
Default

The thing that sucks for Adolfo is the fact that the organization prematurely added him to the 40-man roster this season. That sort of puts him "on the clock." The Sox have to start burning option years on him now, and he's going to have to come relatively quickly after he recovers from the injury.

He had a nice season under the circumstances, however. Kudos to the young man for lowering his K rate and generally improving his hit tool this year.
__________________
JB's attendance record:
2004: 14-5; 2005: 16-8; 2006: 19-10; 2007: 8-12; 2008: 15-7; 2009: 6-13; 2010: 12-11; 2011: 9-8; 2012: 11-7; 2013: 8-9; 2014: 7-9; 2015: 10-10; 2016: 13-10; 2017: 8-5; 2018: 3-10; Total: 159-134.
Next game: April 2019

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

  #22  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Logan Square
Posts: 1,067
Default

It's getting tougher and tougher to polish this turd of a season.

Anyone able to compile a list of injuries and their related, estimated, timelines?

Adolfo is obviously done until next season as is Burger, but what about the other guys?

Jimenez
Robert
Burdi
Cordell
Madrigal
Walker (Steele)
Jones
Dunning

I'm sure I'm missing a few notables.
  #23  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The thing that sucks for Adolfo is the fact that the organization prematurely added him to the 40-man roster this season. That sort of puts him "on the clock." The Sox have to start burning option years on him now, and he's going to have to come relatively quickly after he recovers from the injury.

He had a nice season under the circumstances, however. Kudos to the young man for lowering his K rate and generally improving his hit tool this year.
When do his options get all used up? Would it be the start of the 2021 season?
  #24  
Old 07-11-2018, 03:51 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 55,250
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
The thing that sucks for Adolfo is the fact that the organization prematurely added him to the 40-man roster this season. That sort of puts him "on the clock." The Sox have to start burning option years on him now, and he's going to have to come relatively quickly after he recovers from the injury.

He had a nice season under the circumstances, however. Kudos to the young man for lowering his K rate and generally improving his hit tool this year.
If he has been with the team 6 years they kind of have to don't they?

Is this a rule 5 issue?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #25  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:00 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 33,212
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
It's getting tougher and tougher to polish this turd of a season.

Anyone able to compile a list of injuries and their related, estimated, timelines?

Adolfo is obviously done until next season as is Burger, but what about the other guys?

Jimenez
Robert
Burdi
Cordell
Madrigal
Walker (Steele)
Jones
Dunning

I'm sure I'm missing a few notables.
Here's what I know:

Jimenez - Another seven to 10 days according to Hahn yesterday. (Which means it is more likely another two weeks)

Robert - Original diagnosis said 4-8 weeks. Have heard nothing since then.

Burdi - Haven't heard much of anything there was some talk he may pitch in the AFL this Fall. He's supposedly throwing now.

Cordell - Haven't heard a word since he got hurt. I think they said it would be three months when it happened.

Madrigal - Hahn said he thinks he'll be back playing this weekend.

Walker - Was hurt when the Sox drafted him. Oblique injury. Those take a long time to heal.Don't know anything about a possible return.

Jones - Saw photos of him playing long toss last week. Obviously the original time frame was wrong since he's been out longer than 10 days. Saw a tweet after the "forearm soreness" happened where supposedly he said he thought he may be out for the season. Granted that was before the MRI, but he hasn't pitched since.

Dunning - 4-8 weeks of rest / rehab then he'd begin a throwing program. (But they tried the same thing with Adolfo and you say how that worked out - and he's not a pitcher.) Personally I expect him to have TJ surgery in September.

Hansen - Missed time with that same "forearm strain" as Jones. Missed A LOT of time. Came back to pitch and had four crap starts in a row. Had a good outing though a few days ago.

Burger - Haven't heard word one since he tore the Achilles for the second time. Hopefully he's got that boot on 24 hours a day / seven days a week.
  #26  
Old 07-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 12,637
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Here's what I know:

Jimenez - Another seven to 10 days according to Hahn yesterday. (Which means it is more likely another two weeks)

Robert - Original diagnosis said 4-8 weeks. Have heard nothing since then.

Burdi - Haven't heard much of anything there was some talk he may pitch in the AFL this Fall. He's supposedly throwing now.

Cordell - Haven't heard a word since he got hurt. I think they said it would be three months when it happened.

Madrigal - Hahn said he thinks he'll be back playing this weekend.

Walker - Was hurt when the Sox drafted him. Oblique injury. Those take a long time to heal.Don't know anything about a possible return.

Jones - Saw photos of him playing long toss last week. Obviously the original time frame was wrong since he's been out longer than 10 days. Saw a tweet after the "forearm soreness" happened where supposedly he said he thought he may be out for the season. Granted that was before the MRI, but he hasn't pitched since.

Dunning - 4-8 weeks of rest / rehab then he'd begin a throwing program. (But they tried the same thing with Adolfo and you say how that worked out - and he's not a pitcher.) Personally I expect him to have TJ surgery in September.

Hansen - Missed time with that same "forearm strain" as Jones. Missed A LOT of time. Came back to pitch and had four crap starts in a row. Had a good outing though a few days ago.

Burger - Haven't heard word one since he tore the Achilles for the second time. Hopefully he's got that boot on 24 hours a day / seven days a week.
Cordell is expected to begin a rehab stint in the Arizona Rookie League soon:
https://www.soxmachine.com/2018/07/1...-july-10-2018/

If all is going well with Burger, I don't expect to hear any news about him until spring training next year. At this point, no news is probably good news.
  #27  
Old 07-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
If he has been with the team 6 years they kind of have to don't they?

Is this a rule 5 issue?
Yes. Adolfo was added to the 40-man roster because he would have been exposed to the Rule 5 draft if he wasnít promoted.

A player who was 18 or younger on the June 5th preceding his signing becomes eligible for Rule 5 selection starting with the fifth Rule 5 draft following his signing. A player who was 19 or older becomes eligible starting with the fourth Rule 5 draft following his signing.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and letís fight tomorrow.
  #28  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:59 AM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 30,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If he has been with the team 6 years they kind of have to don't they?

Is this a rule 5 issue?
Yes, he would have been exposed to Rule 5 had he not been placed on the 40-man, but was there really a concern that a player who had never played above Kannapolis coming into this year would be selected in the Rule 5 draft?

I say no, and I question the wisdom of that roster management. I didn't think there was any good reason to add Adolfo and Basabe to the 40-man this year.
  #29  
Old 07-12-2018, 02:03 AM
JB98's Avatar
JB98 JB98 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 30,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
When do his options get all used up? Would it be the start of the 2021 season?
You get three option years, and this would be the first. So, he would be out of options going into the 2021 season.
  #30  
Old 07-12-2018, 05:26 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 9,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98
Yes, he would have been exposed to Rule 5 had he not been placed on the 40-man, but was there really a concern that a player who had never played above Kannapolis coming into this year would be selected in the Rule 5 draft?

I say no, and I question the wisdom of that roster management. I didn't think there was any good reason to add Adolfo and Basabe to the 40-man this year.
Micker Adolfo and Luis Basabe have a lot more upside than Victor Reyes and Carlos Tocci (the other outfield prospects who were picked in the Rule 5), and both of those guys have stuck with the teams that drafted/traded for them.


There was no good reason to gamble on losing either player just to save a potential option year.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:42 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.