White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2018, 12:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Kids come in free at Camden

This is an excellent move by the Orioles. Kids 9 and under free w/ an adult upper deck ticket purchase.

A frightening jolt of reality for all us old men arguing against rule changes to speed up the game:

"According to a Sports Business Journal article from 2017, the average age of fans for MLB in 2016 was 57. For the NFL it was 50, NHL 49 and NBA 42."

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

My son, who turns 6 next month, has zero interest in sports. But, family Sundays at the ol ballpark are awesome.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:01 PM
WSI High Priest

I think this is a wonderful idea.
If parents can more easily afford taking their younger kids to the park, it can in turn help them become Sox fans for life. The early investment into these kids will easily pay off as they get older. Also, while the ticket is comped. The parents will be spending on parking, food and Sox gear. Let's get it done Sox!
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Normally, when I see teams come up with good ideas like this, my first instinct is to think that maybe the Sox could try something similar. However, when it comes to ticket prices, the Sox are already doing better than most other teams. Is it better to have a highly dynamic pricing structure with lots of “discount days” to offset the games that cost big money, or is it better to have fewer “discount days” but keep everyday prices among the lowest in the majors? I don’t know which approach works better.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
My son, who turns 6 next month, has zero interest in sports. But, family Sundays at the ol ballpark are awesome.
I didn't become interested until I was 7, so give him time.

Anyway, terrific move by the O's. As George Knox says in Angels in the Outfield, "Young fans: the league needs more of 'em."
Old 03-13-2018, 09:01 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Normally, when I see teams come up with good ideas like this, my first instinct is to think that maybe the Sox could try something similar. However, when it comes to ticket prices, the Sox are already doing better than most other teams. Is it better to have a highly dynamic pricing structure with lots of “discount days” to offset the games that cost big money, or is it better to have fewer “discount days” but keep everyday prices among the lowest in the majors? I don’t know which approach works better.
From my observation, Sox Family Sundays do very well. There are a good amount of kids/families at the park on Sundays.

The problem is Weekdays, even a promotion like Family Sundays would struggle to get enough kids into the stands to make it worth it.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2662 View Post
You can't force it. My mom, a music history major, took me to the symphony many times a year as a kid. She wanted me to be a fan of classical music, raised me to idolize Georg Solti, etc.

As soon as I was old enough to go where I wanted, I skipped Symphony Hall and went to Comiskey Park. My mom was horrified - sports was for dumb kids, she thought. She was even more horrified when one day she walked into my room and I was watching football on TV. She abhorred football even more than baseball because not only was it a sport, it was a violent sport. These days I couldn't name a single prominent classical musician, but I can name you a bunch of relief pitchers from the early 2000's White Sox. My mom has come to terms with it.

My wife is going to give birth to our first child in a few weeks. I will, of course, try to get the kid into baseball. We already have a bunch of MLB-branded bibs. If she rebels against me and becomes a big opera fan instead, well, that's life, and it would be very hypocritical of me to complain about kids having different interests from their parents.

But yeah, as a father-to-be I'm in favor of free child admission to all of the places.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
You can't force it. My mom, a music history major, took me to the symphony many times a year as a kid. She wanted me to be a fan of classical music, raised me to idolize Georg Solti, etc.

As soon as I was old enough to go where I wanted, I skipped Symphony Hall and went to Comiskey Park. My mom was horrified - sports was for dumb kids, she thought. She was even more horrified when one day she walked into my room and I was watching football on TV. She abhorred football even more than baseball because not only was it a sport, it was a violent sport. These days I couldn't name a single prominent classical musician, but I can name you a bunch of relief pitchers from the early 2000's White Sox. My mom has come to terms with it.

My wife is going to give birth to our first child in a few weeks. I will, of course, try to get the kid into baseball. We already have a bunch of MLB-branded bibs. If she rebels against me and becomes a big opera fan instead, well, that's life, and it would be very hypocritical of me to complain about kids having different interests from their parents.

But yeah, as a father-to-be I'm in favor of free child admission to all of the places.
Congrats HomeFish!
Old 03-13-2018, 01:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In true HomeFish fashion, do you have a list of daily anxieties you can have over your baby?
Old 03-13-2018, 03:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

Congrats, by the way. I'm that too worried about it. He plays soccer now, and while he will contribute, he's not really that into it. He just likes being with his friends. Other kids are more into it. It's fine. Honestly, I'm not that into sports like I used to. I'd rather be outside doing things rather than watching TV.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
In true HomeFish fashion, do you have a list of daily anxieties you can have over your baby?
In Virginia they make you pick a pediatrician before the baby is born: they won't let you take a baby home from the hospital unless you have a pediatrician.

When we were interviewing potential pediatricians, you can bet your bottom dollar I asked extensive questions about whether they have a help line I can call at 3 AM if I think something is wrong with the baby.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:03 PM
WSI Personality

MLB desperately needs to make the game more appealing to the younger generation. There's no need for the catcher to constantly go to the mound to talk to the pitcher.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:43 AM
WSI Personality

The Sox do give away two free tickets with kids club membership and either four or six tickets with the paid kids club membership plus a lot of cool Sox and southpaw stuff. The paid version also includes a sort of giveaway like a southpaw metal lunchbox. It's not the same as what the Orioles are doing but it's a really good deal.
Old 04-01-2018, 02:57 PM
WSI Personality

The Sox are pretty flexible on young kids needing tickets. My friends and I have taken 4 year olds quite a few times and weren’t asked about their tickets. Only works on games that don’t draw well because they do need an open seat. Still a great policy because that kid is still going to eat from the concessions so money will be made.

My nephew (4) has a dad that roots for the Cubs and his mom is a Sox fan. Everyone asks who his favorite team is and he says Kane County Cougars. My sis also has 2 year old twins. This might be my first year that I go to as many Cougars games as Sox games. Can’t beat the tix prices for the kids, can’t beat the beer specials for the adults.