White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2018, 10:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Chris Davis says hello...
So does Yu Darvish, Albert Pujols, King Felix, Homer Bailey, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jordan Zimmermann. Still, Heyward is in the discussion.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 12-28-2018, 06:31 AM
WSI Personality

That Ellsbury contract was confounding. A part of me thinks the Yankees paid him that much just to rub it in Boston's face. He hasn't been terrible by any means but he sure hasn't been nearly worth what he's making.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
No he wouldn't be. He's still in his 20's and is a few years removed from a 6.6 bWAR season. Let's not start pretending that every guy you think sucks (Kinsler) would be out of baseball, despite baseball front offices proving the exact opposite. Now you're just making things up.
4 years removed at this point. He's hardly bench quality.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
So does Yu Darvish, Albert Pujols, King Felix, Homer Bailey, Jacoby Ellsbury and Jordan Zimmermann. Still, Heyward is in the discussion.
Bailey isn't on a roster.

I'd take any one of the remaining guys over Heyward on an equal contract.

Why is Jordan Zimmerman on this list? He's not very good, but other than 2017 he's been league average.

Also, when someone says everyday players, they're usually just talking position players.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I'd take any one of the remaining guys over Heyward on an equal contract.

Why is Jordan Zimmerman on this list? He's not very good, but other than 2017 he's been league average.

Also, when someone says everyday players, they're usually just talking position players.
We're not talking equal contract, we're talking overpaid. Regardless, Heyward is a slightly below average player making a ton of money.

I'd take Heyward over Chris Davis and Albert Pujols.

Jordan Zimmerman is barely above replacement level over the past 3 years and he makes $25 million a year, which is more than Heyward. He's terrible.
Old 12-28-2018, 01:04 PM
WSI Church Elder

Their is so many better ideas that that of the OP. For instance:

1. Save the money for Arrenado.

2, Sign Keuchel and/or

3. Ottavino. and/or

4. Moustakas on a one year deal or

5. Sign Marwen Gonzalez who could play 3b for a year and than super utility with a big stick.

6. Buy prospects like the OP said but not from the cubs. It would be better helping the Yanks get Harper/Machado than the cubs. Take Elsbury, and better prospects that the yanks have, Or do the same for the dodgers.

7. Stay the course and keep building.

All are better options than taking Heyward and ok prospects. While helping the cubs win some more.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Their is so many better ideas that that of the OP. For instance:

1. Save the money for Arrenado.

2, Sign Keuchel and/or

3. Ottavino. and/or

4. Moustakas on a one year deal or

5. Sign Marwen Gonzalez who could play 3b for a year and than super utility with a big stick.

6. Buy prospects like the OP said but not from the cubs. It would be better helping the Yanks get Harper/Machado than the cubs. Take Elsbury, and better prospects that the yanks have, Or do the same for the dodgers.

7. Stay the course and keep building.

All are better options than taking Heyward and ok prospects. While helping the cubs win some more.
I agree on #1, 2, and 7, but there's no guarantee Arenado ever makes it to FA. I don't understand why we haven't been linked to Keuchel. He is the best guy left after the whales.

#6 is a meaningless alternative without actual names involved. If the Cubs make the best offer, take the Cubs offer.

Ottavino? I don't like signing free agent relievers except to complete a contending roster. He wouldn't be a bad signing, but the Sox have the makings of a good and deep bullpen. Let them pitch.

Moustakas would just be a waste of money, as he would have been last year. And they already wasted enough on Alonso (unless, of course, he leads to a Machado signing, in which case Moustakas would be an even bigger waste of money because Machado needs to play third).

Gonzalez? Meh. Doesn't move the needle at all, and honestly I'd rather have Yolmer.
Old 12-28-2018, 02:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Ellsbury has a full no-trade clause.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
He wouldn't be a bad signing, but the Sox have the makings of a good and deep bullpen. Let them pitch.
Maybe, but I have serious doubts, we'll see.
Old 12-28-2018, 05:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
We're not talking equal contract, we're talking overpaid. Regardless, Heyward is a slightly below average player making a ton of money.

I'd take Heyward over Chris Davis and Albert Pujols.

Jordan Zimmerman is barely above replacement level over the past 3 years and he makes $25 million a year, which is more than Heyward. He's terrible.

I think we're talking about different things. Heyward's contract makes him bad, assuredly. But I'm arguing that of all the people to be everyday players for the last 3 years, Heyward is the worst of them. And statistically, that pans out. Davis and Pujols have been good in that timeframe. Heyward is done as a baseball player, and he's been done for three years. The contract keeps him playing.

Zimmerman's FIP the last three years has been 4.42, 5.18, and 4.88. He's league average or slightly lower, sure. And the contract makes that bad. But he's a back end guy on a lot of teams still. If Heyward were a free agent, he'd get a minor league deal at best. And likely released after that.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I think we're talking about different things. Heyward's contract makes him bad, assuredly. But I'm arguing that of all the people to be everyday players for the last 3 years, Heyward is the worst of them. And statistically, that pans out. Davis and Pujols have been good in that timeframe. Heyward is done as a baseball player, and he's been done for three years. The contract keeps him playing.

Zimmerman's FIP the last three years has been 4.42, 5.18, and 4.88. He's league average or slightly lower, sure. And the contract makes that bad. But he's a back end guy on a lot of teams still. If Heyward were a free agent, he'd get a minor league deal at best. And likely released after that.
Heyward’s better than Avisail Garcia and Avi just got an incentive laden contract.

DrCrawdad
"In time you can turn these obsessions into careers...Hurry Down Doomsday the bugs are taking over." - Elvis Costello