GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2019, 07:27 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
If you didnít hear His very strange interview on 670 yesterday (and Mac and Perkins were being stupid), one comment I loved was that he told Collins to be ready to work because heís going to take him by the hand and show him how to succeed. This is the type of players we need. Abreu is that way but without the winning track record. This should compliment him very well
I didnít hear the interview. Was Grandal strange or was Mac and Parkins clowning too much?
Old 11-22-2019, 07:47 AM
WSI High Priest

I hope the Sox can sign a pitcher. Preferably one who can get the ball into Grandal's glove with him having to move it.
Old 11-22-2019, 07:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
The press for this deal is overwhelmingly positive. Some commentators do note that Grandal alone will not make the White Sox contenders (which is true), but they manage to do so without going into a long rant about Reinsdorf, Yonder Alonso, and the San Diego Padres.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/yasmani-...the-white-sox/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ndal-deal.html
The Fangraphs article is even more encouraging. Especially the breakdown of Grandal's great offense and his elite framing.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:01 AM
WSI Regular

I was admittedly skeptical of the off season after last years debacle but its hard not to love this signing. Enough has already been said about how it solidifies the position and helps the pitching staff.

The thing has me excited though is that the Sox finally won a bid. Granted we're not even close to making up for missing out on Machado over the BS on the last two years they offered, but with that being said its so early in the process when top tier FA's generally wait until after the holidays to sign. In this case, Grandal himself on interviews noted that he had many more offers this year compared to last which not only suggests the market was hot for him (at least 3 teams?) but that the Sox, for once, won the bidding war for a player they wanted that fills a need.

Keep up the momentum cause its been far too long since we've seen meaningful baseball in September with the exception of watching a call up.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwar View Post
...at any rate, as this quote states, it appears that the rebuild is over...
If they add some top-level pitching in the rotation and the pen, then I can agree with that.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
This is yet another under-appreciated positive that could come out of this signing: Collins will continue to learn from McCann while also learning from Grandal, who he has known for nearly a decade.

Collins and Grandal are close friends and have trained together for years - since Collins was in HS:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...e-sox-prospect
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by keloms View Post
Yet it's the White Sox and, more importantly, a Reinsdorf owned organization where failure and prioritizing business interests over on-field / on court product is more common than success so tapering overall expectations is completely reasonable until they start showing more action than talking.
In this case though the business interests and on-field product align. The team is in a position right now where a few more good moves will make this a highly exciting, marketable team. I'm not talking about a huge investment, but raise payroll to league-average ($135M) and this team could own the division and the city for the next 4 years.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Collins and Grandal are close friends and have trained together for years - since Collins was in HS:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/ch...e-sox-prospect
So drafting Collins was merely a plot to sign Grandal. Hmmm....
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 11-22-2019, 08:42 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
In this case though the business interests and on-field product align. The team is in a position right now where a few more good moves will make this a highly exciting, marketable team. I'm not talking about a huge investment, but raise payroll to league-average ($135M) and this team could own the division and the city for the next 4 years.

Yes they may finally be competitive but own the city? That hasnt happened since the 50's and 60's.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:46 AM
WSI Personality

A few weeks ago Hahn laid out his offseason goals as acquiring 2 SPs, a RF, and a DH. One of the things I love about this move is that it doesn't directly address any of those. That signifies that more moves are to come. Yes, Grandal indirectly addresses the DH spot, but I'm still very confident that Hahn is going to go after the positions that he specifically mentioned he is targeting - most notably SP.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:51 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Yes they may finally be competitive but own the city? That hasnt happened since the 50's and 60's.
Perhaps "own" is too strong, but they are certainly the most exciting team in the city. The Sox have their die-hard fans, but casual fans of this team do not come out and support a lackluster product. But those fans will come out and support an exciting young contender which is what the team is building up to. And there are plenty of people in Chicago who support the city over any one team that will be jumping on the bandwagon.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
Sox just signed one of the best catchers in baseball and people are complaining?
Quote:
Not a lot. Just from the usual folks. Honestly, the most inane criticism is over the cost. Who cares? Nothing suggests this is it. In fact, Kenny intimated that this was just the start.

The other fun one is hand-wringing over this being the it for the big moves. I donít get why that is even worth mentioning in November. Why not wait until the dust settles?

Itís a great move no matter how you slice it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Tried to wade through this thread but got tired of reading the same negative comments over and over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewman35 View Post
It's one thing to not be running through the streets and planning a parade. Everybody (even the Sox) knows that this move CAN'T be all. But as a single move, it's nothing but positive, and it's a little strange to me if somebody can't just be happy about that.

It's kinda like wining opening day. Does winning opening day guarantee anything? Of course not. But it's certainly better than LOSING opening day. This is like winning opening day of the off-season, so for now be happy until we see what else happens...

Well said. I think some fans are so embittered by how this team has performed in recent years that they can't even bring themselves to enjoy this good signing for a moment without launching into the same tired old complaints about the FO. All they can see are signs that this mayl be one-and-done for the offseason or that this basically assures they'll cheap out the rest of the way.

And yes, Rick Hahn has come out and said this is just a first step:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/ya...p-in-offseason
Quote:
"....At the same time, we know we have more work to do. I can say it sends this type of message out there, and it's, frankly, going to ring hollow if we don't reinforce that with further acquisitions.Ē
Old 11-22-2019, 09:46 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
A few weeks ago Hahn laid out his offseason goals as acquiring 2 SPs, a RF, and a DH. One of the things I love about this move is that it doesn't directly address any of those. That signifies that more moves are to come. Yes, Grandal indirectly addresses the DH spot, but I'm still very confident that Hahn is going to go after the positions that he specifically mentioned he is targeting - most notably SP.

I doubt they'll go out and get a DH now. They'll go with a combo of 4 guys (Abreu, Grandal, McCann, Collins) splitting 1B/DH duties with the latter 3 at C. I'm fine with that as long as they go out and get a quality SP (Wheeler?), a serviceable RF, and a decent back-of-the-rotation SP.

Question: With Abreu's acceptance of the QO and the Grandal signing, what is the current projected payroll commitment for 2020 (including estimates for arb eligible players)?
Old 11-22-2019, 09:52 AM
New At WSI

I can't believe anyone can actually criticize this deal.
1. McCann is set for a regression back to who he is, but he will be an adequate back-up catcher. They can also deal him.
2. We hear repetitive claims about the Sox being cheap, but when they spend money on one of the best catchers in baseball, they still complain.
3. Grandal already said he would take Collins under his wing and help him. He'll be a great mentor.
4. IN addition, he's already asked for film on the Sox pitchers. He'll make those young guys better.

I don't agree with some that said he'll rotate with Collins and McCann at the C and DH spot. IN some mock lineups I have seen, McCann is the DH in the 8 spot. We need more productivity out of the DH spot than that. Plus, you signed the one of the best catchers in baseball. You're going to have him catch 120+ games.

I know they need to sign a RF and some pitching, but they also need another hitter for the DH spot. A revolving door of Collins and McCann won't do it.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

I like the signing alot. But they need more, a lot more. Still, a great start, very encouraging.