Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2019, 03:53 PM
WSI Regular

I didn't enjoy the Walton broadcast but I have no problem with them doing things like that. I did find it irritating during the interview with Gio's brother. He was there for 1/2 an inning and was lucky to get to say a word with Walton's love for talking. I watched for about 5 innings and finally muted the TV and put the radio broadcast on my ipad. The audio was about 10 seconds ahead of the video so I knew what happened before I saw it. I was more irritated with the Friday night broadcast. Jason was talking to folks in studio which apparently MLB TV doesn't allow with their transmission. I got tired of no sound and then Jason responding to something I couldn't hear. Saturday was fine. They actually had someone who knew the game and didn't try to monopolize the air time. I didn't get a chance to see Sunday's telecast so I can't comment on it.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:07 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
How did I know that I'd come in here tonight and find everyone thrilled with the Walton nonsense?
Truthfully, I wasn't so surprised to hear it praised a bit on the news the next day. But to come here and find people loving it... that really surprised me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveIsHere View Post
That was the worst and most embarrassing broadcast I have ever watched. How many inning, how many outs, 4 balls and a walk? Seriously this was bad, I had to shut it off......

It was embarrassing when they had Giolito's brother in the booth, Walton wouldn't let the poor kid talk.
I shut it off also. I wanted to give it a chance, even knowing that I thought Walton was an annoying douche years ago doing NBA games. But he took it to a new level in my opinion.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:21 PM
WSI Regular

MLB, the media, and Jason were all gushing about this wonderful experience. I felt it was terrible. I want to hear about the game being played and other baseball related items (like prospects). I don't want to hear the ramblings of some goof-ball.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyWhiSoxFan View Post
I thought Walton was very entertaining a great break from the minutia of the usual chatter of pitch sequences and other baseball insider information that can be tedious, especially for casual fans. My wife watched part of the broadcast and loved Walton's unique approach and take on things.
I can see why it wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it was just one 9:00 west coast game in a bad season. I had no problem with it and I'm glad to hear many people enjoyed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
I enjoyed it but don't have any desire to hear Walton ever again during a Sox game. Late night Pac 12 basketball games are fine for his nonsense in the winter when I can't get to sleep but no more White Sox.

I am very impressed with Michael Schur tonight. Outisde the fact that I am a huge fan of his shows, he is extremely knowledgebale about baseball, seems very appreciative to be in the booth, is completely focused on the game, and is giving great tidbits throughout the game on his career and the shows he helped create, all the while not taking any focus off the game we are all watching.
Yeah, great broadcast. I didn't know he played "Cousin Mose" in The Office. Fun to hear about all the random ballplayer names they inserted into Parks and Rec.....including our own Ross Detwiler.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I loved it ("so, what is the best marketing slogan ever?"). I had no trouble following the game since they were showing it, why do we need someone to tell us what we are looking at? There was an NFL game once that was broadcast without a PBP or Color person. That worked out just fine.

I'm glad I recorded it.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
I loved it ("so, what is the best marketing slogan ever?"). I had no trouble following the game since they were showing it, why do we need someone to tell us what we are looking at? There was an NFL game once that was broadcast without a PBP or Color person. That worked out just fine.

I'm glad I recorded it.
I've regretted not recording it since the minute it was over.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 8-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

285-247
Old 08-22-2019, 11:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, great broadcast. I didn't know he played "Cousin Mose" in The Office. Fun to hear about all the random ballplayer names they inserted into Parks and Rec.....including our own Ross Detwiler.
Shur explained that he had the game on in the writers' room and Detwiler was announced as coming in to pitch. Zap, it goes into the script.

Then there's the law firm created for a Parks and Rec scene: "Fwar, Dips, Winshares, Gritt, Babip, Pecota, Vorp & Eckstein." Talk about inside baseball. https://www.mlb.com/cut4/parks-and-r...rm/c-106356650

I thought that the Michael Shur and Mike O'Brien broadcasts were great. Shur knows the game very well and is clearly a big Tim Anderson fan. O'Brien's Sox fandom from childhood was fun to hear about. Both guys were funny and good-natured.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Shur explained that he had the game on in the writers' room and Detwiler was announced as coming in to pitch. Zap, it goes into the script.

Then there's the law firm created for a Parks and Rec scene: "Fwar, Dips, Winshares, Gritt, Babip, Pecota, Vorp & Eckstein." Talk about inside baseball. https://www.mlb.com/cut4/parks-and-r...rm/c-106356650

I thought that the Michael Shur and Mike O'Brien broadcasts were great. Shur knows the game very well and is clearly a big Tim Anderson fan. O'Brien's Sox fandom from childhood was fun to hear about. Both guys were funny and good-natured.
I like how he said in Parks and Recs they named a character Trish Iannetta because he was watching a game and Chris Iannetta was playing