Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 12:21 AM
WSI Guru

Default *Official 5/15/17 Postgame; Pelfrey still winless*

Pelfrey and Covey are now a combined 0-7 for the season. Folks those guys are really, really bad. ERA's are 5 1/2 and 8 respectively.

Sox blow a three run lead thanks to Pelfrey's meltdown in the 5th inning and lost again in Anaheim.

That's something like 13 of 16 there since 2012.

Anaheim is the latest in a long line of Sox "House of Horrors."

I know some will say, "the Sox are rebuilding...who cares?"

I disagree with that notion.

These guys are getting bombed out early night after night putting a major strain on the bullpen. That bullpen includes some guys who may be trade pieces in a few months. If they are overworked, ineffective the Sox won't even be able to get a Single A type prospect for any of them.

Personally even in a rebuilding year, I'd rather the Sox promote some borderline kids out of the minor league system who may have a future. Give them a shot and see what if anything they can do. And I'm not talking about the top prospects, let them stay in the minors and learn their craft.

The Sox may find a kid or two who actually has a future with the team...we know Covey and Pelfrey have no future. Period.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 05-16-2017 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Pelfrey and Covey are now a combined 0-7 for the season. Folks those guys are really, really bad. ERA's are 5 1/2 and 8 respectively.

Sox blow a three run lead thanks to Pelfrey's meltdown in the 5th inning and lost again in Anaheim.

That's something like 13 of 16 there since 2012.

Anaheim is the latest in a long line of Sox "House of Horrors."

I know some will say, "the Sox are rebuilding...who cares?"

I disagree with that notion.

These guys are getting bombed out early night after night putting a major strain on the bullpen. That bullpen includes some guys who may be trade pieces in a few months. If they are overworked, ineffective the Sox won't even be able to get a Single A type prospect for any of them.

Personally even in a rebuilding year, I'd rather the Sox promote some borderline kids out of the minor league system who may have a future. Give them a shot and see what if anything they can do. And I'm not talking about the top prospects, let them stay in the minors and learn their craft.

The Sox may find a kid or two who actually has a future with the team...we know Covey and Pelfrey have no future. Period.

Just my opinion.
Everything you say here makes sense! Covey and Pelfrey have been terrible, and why they are still on this roster is head scratching material. Time to give someone else a chance to show that they belong on a MLB roster.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:11 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
But wasn't Covey one of those very guys you describe, as a 25 year-old kinda non-prospect Rule 5 pick? I have no issue with the Sox keeping that door revolving, because Covey is just horrid, but let's not say they don't have anyone fitting the bill on the team currently (Covey, Beck, Ynoa, Holmberg). A third of the staff is guys who are getting a shot to see what they can do.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-16-2017, 01:43 AM
WSI Guru

The day when Pelfrey is no longer with the Sox can't come soon enough. I assume the injured guys will be back before the prospects are ready, but it's clear Pelfrey needs to go. If a pitcher cannot complete five innings, then he cannot remain in the rotation.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 05-16-2017, 07:16 AM
WSI High Priest

But Covey is a "borderline kid out of the minor league system." The results we are getting from Covey is, more often than not, what that concept looks like when it is applied at the major league level.

The only other guy would be Tyler Danish, and if he ends up replacing Covey or Pelfrey, you probably will be clamoring to remove him in a few weeks, too.

I totally agree with getting Pelfrey out of the rotation as soon as possible, but let's give Covey more than 30 major league innings before we pull the plug. The sample size is small, but he works much better with Kevan Smith behind the plate than anyone else. Now that Soto is gone, Smith should catch Covey every time.

Covey has good enough stuff to get major league hitters out if he ever develops command of it. On the other hand, Pelfrey is at the end of the line. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:54 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
But Covey is a "borderline kid out of the minor league system." The results we are getting from Covey is, more often than not, what that concept looks like when it is applied at the major league level.

The only other guy would be Tyler Danish, and if he ends up replacing Covey or Pelfrey, you probably will be clamoring to remove him in a few weeks, too.

I totally agree with getting Pelfrey out of the rotation as soon as possible, but let's give Covey more than 30 major league innings before we pull the plug. The sample size is small, but he works much better with Kevan Smith behind the plate than anyone else. Now that Soto is gone, Smith should catch Covey every time.

Covey has good enough stuff to get major league hitters out if he ever develops command of it. On the other hand, Pelfrey is at the end of the line. It's not an apples-to-apples comparison.
Covey can at least be an acceptable option as a long man out of the bullpen- and i don't mind investing a few more starts with him- a reasonable investment for a rebuilding team.

Todd Frazier's performance for $8M a year- .218 average since joining the White Sox- is alot more irritating to me than any of our pitchers. The biggest issue with this team is scoring runs- and he's a perpetual, expensive black hole in the line up.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 05-16-2017, 08:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Does MLB need to start conditioning pitchers to go nine innings?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Covey can at least be an acceptable option as a long man out of the bullpen- and i don't mind investing a few more starts with him- a reasonable investment for a rebuilding team.

Todd Frazier's performance for $8M a year- .218 average since joining the White Sox- is alot more irritating to me than any of our pitchers. The biggest issue with this team is scoring runs- and he's a perpetual, expensive black hole in the line up.
Todd Frazier has been a complete bust. He's in that grouping of terrible veterans we've brought in here as patchwork. Line him up next to LaRoche, Keppinger, Dunn, Rios, etc.

He just flat out sucks. Cut him lose and bring Delmonico up for a nice long look.

Anyone who thinks Frazier will resurrect himself to make himself marketable is sadly mistaken.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:10 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
But wasn't Covey one of those very guys you describe, as a 25 year-old kinda non-prospect Rule 5 pick? I have no issue with the Sox keeping that door revolving, because Covey is just horrid, but let's not say they don't have anyone fitting the bill on the team currently (Covey, Beck, Ynoa, Holmberg). A third of the staff is guys who are getting a shot to see what they can do.
Kittle:

I'm referring more to starting pitchers myself.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Just my opinion.
I don't think the Sox have any borderline starters reasonably ready in the minors to play.
Not only was the Major League team below par, the last few year, the minor leagues were thin (and still are).
Old 05-16-2017, 09:11 AM
WSI Personality

I really like Rick Renteria. I found his post-game comments pretty interesting.

Link
Old 05-16-2017, 09:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post

Link
A very stand up guy- I was surprised he left him in there. I was also surprised they didn't bring up a LHP (Clark or Purke) from Charlotte, we haven't had a LOOGY in our bullpen for years.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:44 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleHoser View Post

Link

As I read this, I think it would be a cold day in hell before the "genius" blowhard in Chicagos NL team team would ever admit a mistake.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:21 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
As I read this, I think it would be a cold day in hell before the "genius" blowhard in Chicagos NL team team would ever admit a mistake.
Glad I don't have to hear the "Give the other team credit" response from Ventura again.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

On the plus side, Swarzak continues to be the greatest pitcher in the history of the world. It really is pleasantly shocking how both he and Kahnle have all of a sudden starting putting the ball pretty much exactly where they want to after years of command issues.