White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2017, 12:52 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Less than 10 years with the current cubs ownership and it has currently produced 3 consecutive NLCS appearances and one World Series win. Over 35 years of current Sox ownership which has produced one World Series win , no consecutive playoff appearances and 5 consecutive losing seasons. Dont degrade yourself by celebrating when the cubs lose this year, it will make you look like a really stupid fan.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:01 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Less than 10 years with the current cubs ownership and it has currently produced 3 consecutive NLCS appearances and one World Series win. Over 35 years of current Sox ownership which has produced one World Series win , no consecutive playoff appearances and 5 consecutive losing seasons. Dont degrade yourself by celebrating when the cubs lose this year, it will make you look like a really stupid fan.
Why can't we both celebrate the loss of a franchise we don't like, while also disliking things about the franchise we love?

I think we can do two things at once. I don't need to compare both franchises to understand we are in an inferior position. I KNOW that. I don't need to live in it.

I can still enjoy seeing a team that I believe deserves to lose, lose. I can then go home and worry about the state of my club.

So, ye, I will enjoy the Cubs loss if/ when it happens.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 10-18-2017, 01:11 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Why can't we both celebrate the loss of a franchise we don't like, while also disliking things about the franchise we love?

I think we can do two things at once. I don't need to compare both franchises to understand we are in an inferior position. I KNOW that. I don't need to live in it.

I can still enjoy seeing a team that I believe deserves to lose, lose. I can then go home and worry about the state of my club.

Exactly. Very well said

Old 10-18-2017, 01:24 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foulke You View Post
Not sure if anyone has seen this article but the "greatest fans in all of baseball" are jumping off the bandwagon. Apparently, tickets to last night's NLCS game were selling for face value (or less) on secondary ticket outlets like StubHub. Tonight's Game 4 NLCS is selling well below face value too.

https://sports.yahoo.com/tickets-gam...211343607.html

EDIT: I'm going to bet that at those prices, there will be quite a few Dodgers fans in the house tonight to see a potential clinching game.
Same as two years ago against the Mets. I got into game 4 in a really good seat for $40.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-18-2017, 01:40 PM
WSI High Priest

Big Frank in the Hall? "No doubt about it."

2009 WSI Roto 1 Keeper League Champ
2009 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up (Reg. Season Champ)
2010 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Champ
2010 WSI H2H 2 Keeper League Champ
2011 WSI H2H 1 Keeper League Runner-up
2012 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Runner-up
2016 WSI Roto 2 Keeper League Champ
Old 10-18-2017, 01:58 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

As I posted on Facebook this morning:

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

I followed up with "I don't even know where to begin."

Last night was a complete breakdown. No pitching, no fielding, no hitting. It's not like the Cubs lost 15-14 so the hitting could not be blamed.

Looking forward to next year, the Cubs have serious problems. Hendrix and Quintana are probably the only returning starters. The bullpen is a hot mess. I doubt there will be enough high quality pitchers on the FA market for them to sign to fill the holes and they traded their top pitching prospect to us.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
I can respect what they've accomplished (very impressive) while celebrating their downfall this post season at the same time- I don't see a conflict there.

In general- the Cubs players and management are very solid- it's the peripheral stuff around the "Cubbies" that makes me happy when they lose (overhyped media, the "dancing" bullpen, the "dance room" in the locker room, etc.).
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
Old 10-18-2017, 02:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Looking forward to next year, the Cubs have serious problems. Hendrix and Quintana are probably the only returning starters.
Lester as well, and they'll probably turn Montgomery into a SP again. Maybe they pay Arrieta or sign him to a 1 yr deal so he can rebuild some value he lost this year. Don't underestimate the allure that a contending team has for some veteran starter that can eat innings and a chance at a championship.

I just hope the Sox show great promise next year and the scales start to tip after 2018.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
Lester as well, and they'll probably turn Montgomery into a SP again. Maybe they pay Arrieta or sign him to a 1 yr deal so he can rebuild some value he lost this year. Don't underestimate the allure that a contending team has for some veteran starter that can eat innings and a chance at a championship.
Arrieta was nowhere near what he was in 2014-2016, but he still had good overall numbers and actually had a higher K rate and lower BB rate than 2016. He was more hittable, and much more susceptible to the longball, as most pitchers were, in 2017. I think he'll get a multiyear deal near $20 mil annually. The starting pitching universe is in a shambles. The Giants picked up Matt Moore's option for $9 mil and he may have been the worst full-year starter in the NL. Arrieta looks like Scherzer next to Moore.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:56 PM
WSI Prelate

They should have kept Cease. He was the only legitimate starter they had in their minor league system.

Now they have to pay top dollar to fix their problem, and it's a bigger problem than one free agent signing will allow.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:15 PM
WSI High Priest

L.A. transit agency gets a good dig in at Cubs fans. Also gotta love the CTA's Cubs slogan: One "L" of a Team!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...018-story.html

Old 10-18-2017, 03:21 PM
WSI High Priest

Likely Jake Arrieta's last start as a Cub. I'm hoping he gets a big ovation when he's lifted in the 3d inning and then signs with the Brewers in the off season

All time Sox Attendance Tracker:
272-234.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Looking forward to next year, the Cubs have serious problems. Hendrix and Quintana are probably the only returning starters. The bullpen is a hot mess. I doubt there will be enough high quality pitchers on the FA market for them to sign to fill the holes and they traded their top pitching prospect to us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post

I just hope the Sox show great promise next year and the scales start to tip after 2018.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Arrieta was nowhere near what he was in 2014-2016, but he still had good overall numbers and actually had a higher K rate and lower BB rate than 2016. He was more hittable, and much more susceptible to the longball, as most pitchers were, in 2017. I think he'll get a multiyear deal near $20 mil annually. The starting pitching universe is in a shambles. The Giants picked up Matt Moore's option for $9 mil and he may have been the worst full-year starter in the NL. Arrieta looks like Scherzer next to Moore.
Lester will be back and is a top of the rotation starter until he proves otherwise. But he turns 34 this winter, so I wonder how many more "ace" seasons he has left in him.

Agreed on Arrietta looking to get a good multi-year deal this winter - whether with the Cubs or elsewhere. Someone will pay up for his services even if he's come back down to earth this year. At age 32, I can't imagine he'd pass up a huge multi-year deal to roll the dice on making 2018 a repeat of his 2015 season.
Old 10-18-2017, 03:35 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
They should have kept Cease. He was the only legitimate starter they had in their minor league system.

Now they have to pay top dollar to fix their problem, and it's a bigger problem than one free agent signing will allow.
Then they wouldn't have Quintana in the rotation...
Old 10-18-2017, 03:46 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I can respect what they've accomplished (very impressive) while celebrating their downfall this post season at the same time- I don't see a conflict there.

In general- the Cubs players and management are very solid- it's the peripheral stuff around the "Cubbies" that makes me happy when they lose (overhyped media, the "dancing" bullpen, the "dance room" in the locker room, etc.).
Enjoy them getting knocked out is natural but how one enjoys it, is what I am talking about.