GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:57 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
I also thought that he was overrated, just looking at his minor league stats made me scratch my head about how good of a prospect he was.

What stats are you looking at? In his age 20/21 season he slashed .294/.407/.511, stole 45 bases and hit 15 bombs in 405 AB at A+ and AA ball. Those are elite numbers.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old Today, 10:01 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythons007 View Post
I've asked this multiple times probably on this thread. Why would you not want to sign a generational talent in their prime?

Anytime you have the opportunity to sign someone like Harper or Machado, going into their prime and you have the means to do it. You ****ing do it!

You should do it. I think the fear that many White Sox fans have is whether or not the front office will then place the players around them for multiple playoff appearances.
Old Today, 10:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
You should do it. I think the fear that many White Sox fans have is whether or not the front office will then place the players around them for multiple playoff appearances.
My fear is that they will squander the ascending young players for vets on short term deals, thereby relying on Hahn/Hostetler drafts for anything further than a year or 2 of contention (if that).
Old Today, 12:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
The Sox are, charitably, 15 players short of having a good team. Tying up something in the neighborhood of $350 million in one guy is not smart. Tying up that money for a player at a position where we have the most prospect depth is even less smart.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, spend it to fill your biggest holes first. And spend it on the better player: Machado.
Yes, the 2018 Sox had many holes, as it was purposely built to be bad. Most of the dead weight from that team is gone or won't be starting, like they were last year.

Adding Harper and Eloy next year changes the team completely. You have a potential top 3-5 middle of the lineup in baseball. Most of the holes can be filled quickly and easily in the pen by some of the many interesting young arms we had come up last year and that are near ready in AAA, Alex Colome, to go along with a FA pen signing. The goal then for '19 is to fill in a few areas of need: CF, 3b, SP with 1 year deal players that won't disrupt the rebuild in any way and use the financial flexibility the Sox currently have. Moustakas, Adam Jones, Gio Gonzalez would look a hell of a lot better than Sanchez, Engel and Shields or Jordan Stephens. The team could easily be over .500 and maybe push for a WC spot if Cease comes up in July and is effective.

Don't get Harper because the Sox have depth with OF prospects? Only Eloy is a lock moving forward (we all hope). Other than that, they have only 1 prospect in AA or higher (Basabe), and he is a big "if" for being able to hit at a high level. Robert is in A+, hasn't proven to stay healthy and has lot's to prove still. Rutherford is a corner OF that won't be a regular unless he starts hitting for more power. Adolfo, just had TJS and is in A+. Steele Walker is in A, and had a poor showing. Luis Gonzalez is in A+, needs to prove he can succeed at an age appropriate level. Granted, I'm pretty bullish on this group despite these question marks, but still there are no guarantees with prospects. As I have said, and many others, get Harper and trade from this prospect depth to fill in the needs in other areas. Doing this will also be able to salvage value in prospects that ultimately will fail to live up to expectations.

Also, the 3b hole we currently have can just as easily be filled by Moncada or Burger, than the 2 OF spots by the 6 prospects we have there.

2020 has less holes than you would think. 2 of Kopech, Cease, and Dunning slide into the rotation with 2 of Rodon, Lopez and Giolito. Robert, Madrigal and others enter in the lineup at some point, with a few FA place holders are brought in to fill in the gaps. This could be a very good team.
Old Today, 12:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
This is actually my greatest cause for concern, that this is exactly what they will do.
How do you know that is "exactly" what they will do?
Old Today, 01:32 PM
WSI Guru

Harper "warming up" to the Sox?
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...sed-pitch-work
Old Today, 02:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
If any White Sox executives are reading this. Sign Harper and I will call you immediately for at least a partial season ticket plan. Sign both Harper and Machado and I will do a full season plan.
Old Today, 02:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Soprano View Post
If any White Sox executives are reading this. Sign Harper and I will call you immediately for at least a partial season ticket plan. Sign both Harper and Machado and I will do a full season plan.
I thought he same thing, but the funny thing is we are saying "Hey go Spend 500 million dollars, and I will buy a $800 partial season ticket plan if you do!!!"