GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Yes, he did clown less this season, but he was still a clown. His attitude is one reason why the White Sox have been way too comfortable with poor records in recent years. His overall performance on the field and that he's played so much given that performance is one indication why the team has been so bad. And, in my opinion, Sanchez has not reached his potential because he has devoted too much of his time to clowning. I do believe he had the chance to be even better in the field, though that's no doubt his strength. Offensively, he's just wallowed in sub-standard production without making any real changes to improve and increase the team's chances of winning. He should be a much better bunter, for instance, and bunting for a hit should be in his arsenal, especially given his sub-standard average, but apparently that's beneath him. As far as I'm concerned, he can take his Mickey Mouse ears elsewhere, if anyone wants them.
One man’s “clown” is another man’s “good teammate/locker room presence.”

1) The only reason Yolmer has played so much is because the team is in a rebuild. He is a placeholder. That really should be obvious.

2) None of us fans know what he has done or not done to improve.

3) His 5 minutes or so of post-game frivolity means nothing, including not meaning that he takes his job anymore or less seriously than any other player on the team. It’s a fallacy that the more intense “no-nonsense” players are more serious about winning.

4) https://chicago.suntimes.com/white-s...-sox-venezuela
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Yes, he did clown less this season, but he was still a clown. His attitude is one reason why the White Sox have been way too comfortable with poor records in recent years. His overall performance on the field and that he's played so much given that performance is one indication why the team has been so bad. And, in my opinion, Sanchez has not reached his potential because he has devoted too much of his time to clowning. I do believe he had the chance to be even better in the field, though that's no doubt his strength. Offensively, he's just wallowed in sub-standard production without making any real changes to improve and increase the team's chances of winning. He should be a much better bunter, for instance, and bunting for a hit should be in his arsenal, especially given his sub-standard average, but apparently that's beneath him. As far as I'm concerned, he can take his Mickey Mouse ears elsewhere, if anyone wants them.
Yolmer Sanchez is well above average in laying down bunts. He was 7 out of 10 in sacrifice attempts, and the league average was 64.2%.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:58 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Yolmer Sanchez is well above average in laying down bunts. He was 7 out of 10 in sacrifice attempts, and the league average was 64.2%.
Heíd be 10 out of 10 if he didnít clown so much.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:53 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
He should be a much better bunter, for instance, and bunting for a hit should be in his arsenal, especially given his sub-standard average, but apparently that's beneath him.
He's an excellent bunter. Perhaps he's not permitted to bunt very often in today's world of launch angle and exit velocity?

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Yeah, I hate it when 25 year old "grown men" who are working in a life or death occupation like being a baseball player don't respect the game (but it's not a game) by having fun and, you know, entertaining us. I want my ballplayers (but they aren't really "playing" a "game") to be grim faced assassins or project the demeanor of prison guards. This isn't supposed to be fun. It's baseball.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 11-09-2019, 10:12 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Yeah, I hate it when 25 year old "grown men" who are working in a life or death occupation like being a baseball player don't respect the game (but it's not a game) by having fun and, you know, entertaining us. I want my ballplayers (but they aren't really "playing" a "game") to be grim faced assassins or project the demeanor of prison guards. This isn't supposed to be fun. It's baseball.
Correct. He is disrespecting the "players" who have served before. Warriors like these:

https://dutchbaseballhangout.wordpre...aseball-clown/

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 11-09-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Meh.

And my main point is he should be mastering and then implementing the art for bunting for a base hit. He's not a good hitter. I just looked up his stats -- .244 over more than 2,200 career at-bats with an on-base percentage of .299. Shame on the organization for giving him so many at-bats in recent years.

And I say he hasn't worked hard enough on his game even defensively because he became a worse fielder over time. He was outstanding when he first came up and then the following season. After that, I thought his defense (and concentration) took a dip and looking now at his defensive numbers it appears my eyes did not fail me. I'm not going to argue with a Gold Glove (though it does seem like he didn't have much competition). I'm just saying that he hasn't lived up to the potential he demonstrated on the field in 2014 and 2015. That wasn't a huge sample size so maybe he was merely playing a bit over his head and what followed was the real him. But in observing him at games when I was at the park I saw a drop-off in concentration. When a pitcher is ready to go, but has to wait for Sanchez to slowly walk back into position that's not good. I just think he became too comfortable for his own good and that's when his clowning picked up. I don't think it was a coincidence that his terrible defensive start in 2019 was followed by his best defensive play since his first two seasons with us. Embarrassment and the threat of being sent down probably caused his to buckle down and concentrate to an extent that he hadn't in quite some time. I understand that there was talk that he was dealing with something off the field during his struggles, but after that you could see that he was also more focused in the field.