White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2019, 06:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I still have no idea where you are getting the “willing to risk having to pay more” part. Pay more to whom?
The offer to Machado was worth more than he eventually signed for, provided he met all the contract incentives. What you seem to be suggesting is that JR was willing to risk having to pay over $300M even though he openly takes pride in being frugal. That is not the behavior of a frugal person. I think criticism of JR for not offering what SD did is fair, though I’m not bent out of shape about it because don’t think Machado will be worth it in the long rum. But it is incongruent to say JR is cheap and then accuse him of risking having to pay that amount of money when he wasn’t sincere about wanting to sign Machado.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 11-08-2019, 07:02 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
The offer to Machado was worth more than he eventually signed for, provided he met all the contract incentives. What you seem to be suggesting is that JR was willing to risk having to pay over $300M even though he openly takes pride in being frugal. That is not the behavior of a frugal person. I think criticism of JR for not offering what SD did is fair, though I’m not bent out of shape about it because don’t think Machado will be worth it in the long rum. But it is incongruent to say JR is cheap and then accuse him of risking having to pay that amount of money when he wasn’t sincere about wanting to sign Machado.
Those contract incentives had no chance of ever being reached.

That offer was well short, by 2 years and $50 million. “Maybe money” doesn’t cut the mustard, and JR knew that. He let “payroll flexibility” in 20-****ing-27 stand in the way.

Par for the course for this skinflint.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

I can't believe this is still being debated. There's no debate, it was a lowball offer. The only question was whether it was on purpose - in that they had no intention of signing Machado, or if it was unknowing - and were just so blinded by the idea of $250 million that they didn't realize it wasn't close. Neither is good optics for the front office. Not for fans, and certainly not for future free agents when evaluating our organization.

KW had the most telling response, something along the lines of "all he had to do was stay healthy and he'd have made more money". That's just it, right there. A 26 year old superstar is not going to accept "stay healthy and then we'll pay you". The idea for them is to get that guaranteed money for subprime years, because you're not going to get a chance to make it back.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:28 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Those contract incentives had no chance of ever being reached.

That offer was well short, by 2 years and $50 million. “Maybe money” doesn’t cut the mustard, and JR knew that. He let “payroll flexibility” in 20-****ing-27 stand in the way.

Par for the course for this skinflint.
My point is that being cheap and risking having to pay even $250 million when you don’t want it are two different concepts that are incompatible with each other.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
I can't believe this is still being debated. There's no debate, it was a lowball offer. The only question was whether it was on purpose - in that they had no intention of signing Machado, or if it was unknowing - and were just so blinded by the idea of $250 million that they didn't realize it wasn't close. Neither is good optics for the front office. Not for fans, and certainly not for future free agents when evaluating our organization.

KW had the most telling response, something along the lines of "all he had to do was stay healthy and he'd have made more money". That's just it, right there. A 26 year old superstar is not going to accept "stay healthy and then we'll pay you". The idea for them is to get that guaranteed money for subprime years, because you're not going to get a chance to make it back.
I’m saying it’s the latter because no one risks getting stuck paying that kind of money when they don’t want to, especially if they are frugal.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

I don't think, once the Padres got involved, the White Sox figured $250 million would do it. I know that's debatable, but the leaked $180 million offer was probably as high as they wanted to go and didn't expect it to get out there. Once it did, other teams realized they could make a play. At least one did.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:49 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I don't think, once the Padres got involved, the White Sox figured $250 million would do it. I know that's debatable, but the leaked $180 million offer was probably as high as they wanted to go and didn't expect it to get out there. Once it did, other teams realized they could make a play. At least one did.
I agree. But that only means that the Sox were not willing to guarantee more than $250M, not that they weren’t sincere about guaranteeing it in the first place.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Sure. But the problem isn't that the White Sox aren't willing to spend. It's that their valuations are widely not in line with reality. Which is why when we do spend money, it's on middle tier guys whose markets have collapsed.

The reality is that if the Sox are ever to sign a marque free agent, they're going to have to break records with the deal. Not just their own record. Because guys on top don't want to come here, and they're only going to if it's a markedly larger deal than everyone else is offering. I have no doubt that if both the White Sox and the Padres offered the same deal, the result would have been the same.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:30 PM
WSI Prelate

How about not spending $13 million on Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay and using that money to pay Machado down the road? That leaves you $37 million short. If you can’t bring yourself to spare $3.7 million more per season for a marquee free agent, then stop spouting a bunch of bull**** every year about how “active” and “creative” you plan on being.

Teams like the Rays and Indians Royals and A’s don’t jerk their fans around with phony bluster. Hell, the Indians pretty much just flat-out admitted that retaining Francisco Lindor was not going to be possible and told fans to “enjoy him while he’s here.” The Royals weren’t secretive about the impending departures of World Series heroes Eric Hosmer, Lorenzo Cain, and Mike Moustakas.

It’s bad for ownership to be cheap. It’s bad for ownership to be meddling in baseball operations. It’s bad for ownership to be bull**** artists every winter.

It’s unbearably bad when ownership is all 3.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Please let some rumors start flying soon...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-08-2019, 09:15 PM
WSI High Priest

2020 is the year when the baseball's phoenix, better known as the San Diego Padres make their return atop the NL West.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 11-08-2019, 10:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
2020 is the year when the baseball's phoenix, better known as the San Diego Padres make their return atop the NL West.

The Padres graduated 7 prospects last year, 3 of which were consensus top 25 guys (Tatis, Paddock, Urias). Their system is still the top system in baseball, with 3 top 25 guys (Gore, Trammel, Patino), and 2 more in the top 50 all expected to see time in the big leagues at some point this year. The Padres are about to arrive. And the young guys have the benefit of a middle of the order superstar in his prime for lineup protection.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Agreed.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Sure. But the problem isn't that the White Sox aren't willing to spend. It's that their valuations are widely not in line with reality. Which is why when we do spend money, it's on middle tier guys whose markets have collapsed.

The reality is that if the Sox are ever to sign a marque free agent, they're going to have to break records with the deal. Not just their own record. Because guys on top don't want to come here, and they're only going to if it's a markedly larger deal than everyone else is offering. I have no doubt that if both the White Sox and the Padres offered the same deal, the result would have been the same.
This is pure speculation. Players take the highest offer pretty much every time, that's how FA works. Even if its just $1-5mil more.

Pretty sure I heard that Machado would have rather come to the Sox if all things were even with money. He did want to play with Yonder and Jay.

Quote:
How about not spending $13 million on Yonder Alonso and Jon Jay and using that money to pay Machado down the road? That leaves you $37 million short. If you can’t bring yourself to spare $3.7 million more per season for a marquee free agent, then stop spouting a bunch of bull**** every year about how “active” and “creative” you plan on being.
Because having those guys actually helped the Sox get Manny's attention. Also those guys were acquired before we all found out what the final amount, $300mil, was that he signed for. So that line of thinking doesn't work.

The problem with the whole thing was the FO giving a **** what happens in years 9-10 of the deal when the Sox have never made the playoffs in consecutive years EVER. Who ****ing cares what they do those years if the prior 8 are successful. That said, I think the Sox are better off now not signing him.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:54 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
The Padres graduated 7 prospects last year, 3 of which were consensus top 25 guys (Tatis, Paddock, Urias). Their system is still the top system in baseball, with 3 top 25 guys (Gore, Trammel, Patino), and 2 more in the top 50 all expected to see time in the big leagues at some point this year. The Padres are about to arrive. And the young guys have the benefit of a middle of the order superstar in his prime for lineup protection.
Padres very well might be decent coming up. Though I would much prefer the Sox players, division they play in, and payroll flexibility.

I don't think Machado is a superstar offensively. He's only been elite for half of a season in '18 before getting traded to LAD. Has power and thats about it. Isn't a guy to anchor a WS team around. Really not close to the true elite guys in the batters box like Trout, Bregman, Betts, Yelich, Rendon, Lindor, Bellinger, etc.