GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2018, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
A blueprint for this team could be the 1980 Sox, who were 70-90 but improved to .500 in the strike-shortened 1981 season. They were 87-75 in 1982, then won 99 and should have won a WS championship in 1983 but for Tito ****ing Landrum.

1980 (70-90) had one actual star, Chet Lemon; 2017 had Abreu. The 1980 team had a young lefty starter, Steve Trout, who never lived up to his ability (Rodon?) It had a great rookie class in Harold Baines, Britt Burns, and Richard Dotson; 2017 had comparables in Moncada, Lopez, & Giolito.

The reason the '81-83 Sox improved so much so fast is that Reinsdorf/Einhorn went all-in for veterans, to build credibility. They stole Carlton Fisk, signed Greg Luzinski and Ron LeFlore. GM Roland Hemond had a couple of good under-the-radar pickups in Bill Almon and Tony Bernazard.

In 1982, the Sox added veterans Tom Paciorek, Steve Kemp and Jerry Koosman, and Hemond found Rudy Law, Vance Law, and Salome Barojas. LaMarr Hoyt, who had been up and down, turned into a really good pitcher.

Finally, in 1983, they put the cherry on the sundae by signing Floyd Bannister and bringing up Ron Kittle.

I'll state this as fact: you simply cannot build a team this way in 2018. There are not enough good players in free agency.

I think the Sox need to upgrade at about five positions (the equivalent of Fisk, Luzinski, LeFlore, Almon, and Bernazard) to get to .500. And while they might have the players now (Castillo, Kopech, Jimenez, Burdi, Cordell) the rookies are not going to produce immediately. I think they'll be around 75-77 wins.

In 2019, with Hansen and Robert and Dunning and Cease and Burger and a couple of big time free agents, they should be at or over 85 wins and flirting with a wild card spot.

In 2020, it's on.

1983? The name Jerry Dybzinski still hurts my ears.....
Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
WSI Church Elder

Just some of my random expectations for this season:

1. Sox will win 72-78 games.

2. Kopech and Eloy to be up after the All-Star Game.

3. On the subject of the ASG, the Sox' representative will be Moncada.

4. With more games, Benetti will continue to grow on me, but still manage to make me scream at the TV at least a few times during Sox Math.

5. Moustakas does sign with the Sox and has a solid season on the South Side.

6. Shields pitches well enough to be flipped at the deadline.

7. Engel hits well enough (.240, I hope) and continues to play amazing defense in CF.

8. Avisail Garcia gets traded at the deadline.

9. Anderson and Moncada give the Sox a damn good DP combo for the next 10 years.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by peelwonder View Post
1983? The name Jerry Dybzinski still hurts my ears.....
.....as does Tito Landrum, still feel so sorry for Britt Burns.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
.....as does Tito Landrum, still feel so sorry for Britt Burns.
1983 hurt.

BTW, did Eddie Murray's HR off Dotson ever come back out of orbit?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-25-2018, 02:33 PM
WSI Regular

I am not realistic. But is it impossible that things gel much sooner than expected?
If so, why can't we contend for a wild card?
Old 02-25-2018, 03:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danryan View Post
I am not realistic. But is it impossible that things gel much sooner than expected?
Have you seen the pitching staff?

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-25-2018, 04:56 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Have you seen the pitching staff?
If Fulmer, Lopez and Giolito all prove to be competent then the previous statement is not out of the question. Itís not likely but the previous poster stated that too. Possible not probable is the word of the day.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-25-2018, 11:26 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
If Fulmer, Lopez and Giolito all prove to be competent then the previous statement is not out of the question. Itís not likely but the previous poster stated that too. Possible not probable is the word of the day.
That would leave three competent starters and two known bad ones.

Itís going to be an ugly year. I think the only team with more projected losses is the Marlins.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

Itís going to be an ugly year. I think the only team with more projected losses is the Marlins.
Guess I'm mildly optimistic Shields will continue to pitch like he did after reworking his delivery last summer and Gonzalez will continue to be a competent 5th starter.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Provided the young/future core players play/develop well, Iím OK with lots of losses; it ultimately would be beneficial to take one more deep dive with a top pick into the draft bonus pool.

However, barring injury, I donít see a formula where young players play well, flippable veterans play well enough to boost their trade value, and the team still bombs.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Like I said, 70 wins is fine by me. As Mr. Miyagi once said, ďWin/lose no matter.Ē
Old 02-26-2018, 08:57 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Guess I'm mildly optimistic Shields will continue to pitch like he did after reworking his delivery last summer and Gonzalez will continue to be a competent 5th starter.
It’s been a while since Gonzalez was a competent 5th starter. Now he’s pretty much a decent innings eater on a bad team.
I would think 71ish wins, and hope for a lot of positive development from Delmonico, Leury, Anderson, Davidson, Yolmer and several pitchers in the major league team. Signs that Moncada can be a star. And advancement of many players on the farm.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danryan View Post
On The Score (a/k/a "Cub Love Radio") this morning, one of their guests (I think it was Levine) said the Sox' rebuild is getting to fruition more quickly than the Cubs' rebuild took. I was shocked to hear someone on that station be allowed to indicate that the Sox are doing better than the Cubs at something.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:51 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
On The Score (a/k/a "Cub Love Radio") this morning, one of their guests (I think it was Levine) said the Sox' rebuild is getting to fruition more quickly than the Cubs' rebuild took. I was shocked to hear someone on that station be allowed to indicate that the Sox are doing better than the Cubs at something.
The balance of the Sox rebuild between hitters and pitching dwarfs what the Cubs did. The Cubs are paying through the nose for pitching right now and that's not a good thing with the volatility on pitching arms these days.

The only thing that concerns me about the Sox right now, since we have no evidence of this since the early 90s, is sustained development and drafting going forward. I still feel they're a bit thin in that area when it comes to Scouting and Player Development Personnel. Too many "Friends of Jerry" around the system IMO. "Friends of Jerry" are no problem if they were actual accomplished baseball people when it comes to their jobs.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

With this team I would be happy with a .500 record. They are certainly going in the right direction.